Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front brake rotor cracks - time to replace?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 12:28 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Front brake rotor cracks - time to replace?

Is it time to replace these rotors or can I safely get a few more track days out of them?

Below is a shot of a representative section. Thanks.

Marc

Old 07-13-2009, 01:07 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

The cracks are no big deal; I could get another two race events out of them, depending on how hard the tracks were on brakes.
Old 07-13-2009, 01:13 AM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Marc,

I've always been conservative on changing vented rotors. Having said that, I've seen guys run sets much worse than yours. Your runout doesn't look too bad, but it's never about the runout with these vented sets, is it? The cracks will keep you thinking everytime.

You probably have a couple of days left in those, but some of your cracks look quite long (likely past replacement criteria) and you're awfully close to playing connect the dots in that third row of vents.

Your pic reminds me of why I went with the PFC DD setup... and never looked back.

Cheers
Old 07-13-2009, 01:24 AM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RJFabCab
Marc,

I've always been conservative on changing vented rotors. Having said that, I've seen guys run sets much worse than yours. Your runout doesn't look too bad, but it's never about the runout with these vented sets, is it? The cracks will keep you thinking everytime.

You probably have a couple of days left in those, but some of your cracks look quite long (likely past replacement criteria) and you're awfully close to playing connect the dots in that third row of vents.

Your pic reminds me of why I went with the PFC DD setup... and never looked back.

Cheers

The connect the dots concerns me as much as anything else.

I'm a sissy when it comes to brakes and replace if there is anything that makes me think about it.
Old 07-13-2009, 02:01 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 65 Posts

I dont know if you saw my story of the bigger brake conversion and then my experience with the cast hole rotors for racing. that rotor is about half gone in my world, and needs to be monitored. when the cracks hit the out side and doesnt show a pattern from the center outward, you are done after that weekend. If you do see a pattern of cracks goint to the edge from the center, its time to pull it without question.

unfortunatly, the hole'd rotors just are not for racing. I just changed to a set of the flat rotors and have one dual race weekend on them. I will see if they last longer than the drilled rotors that lasted less than half the race season. near 7 races. On the street, the holes are fine and probably never will be an issue. I still thik the holes are good to keep the pad clean and reduce glazing. Ill let you know how my flat rotor experience goes toward the end of the season.

mk
Old 07-13-2009, 03:06 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

I believe the Porsche specifies that if they are longer than 7mm the disks should be replaced. Personally I would not risk it.
Old 07-13-2009, 08:16 AM
James-man
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 on connect the dots and crack to the outside replace.

IMHO, you have two good choices.

1) Buy new rotors and bring them with you to the track. Monitor the cracks closely and get those couple of extra track days out of them knowing that you have new ones ready to install between sessions.

2) Buy new rotors now and put them on now. Bring the old cracked rotors with you to the track as "spares" - just in case.

If you drive to the track, sometimes just in case means simply being able to get home.
Old 07-13-2009, 08:31 AM
smankow
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Marc, there should be several more weekends left on the rotors. To me, it doesn't look like the cracks are getting close to connecting or going toward the edge. I agree that you should have a spare set available, but these should be ok. I'd also keep track of them.

That said, how long or how many events are on these rotors? Have you experienced any affect on your braking?

Steve
Old 07-13-2009, 09:46 AM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Blah, blah, blah...

No... they don't look that bad, but the reality is you can never tell. They could last 3-4-5-6... more events, or they could explode on your next run. If you are smart you will at the very least have a new set of rotors ready and waiting.
Old 07-13-2009, 09:49 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

From Porsche, written with liability in mind, natch:
Attached Images  
Old 07-13-2009, 10:04 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

That's the point at which I'd buy another set and have them handy, but I'd not hesitate to run a 2-day event on them. Nobody can tell how many days are left, could be 1 could be 3. Of course nobody ever wants to flirt with rotor failure, which could result in a serious incident, so being cautious isn't a bad thing here. My last set were about like yours and after a hard 2-days (might have been Cups & Saucers, so 6 hours on track) the cracks reached the hub and I replaced them (fronts).
Old 07-13-2009, 10:05 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

unfortunatly, the hole'd rotors just are not for racing.
Mark, that is just crap that you are saying. I've run holed AP Racing rotors that lasted years. It DEPENDS on the quality of the rotor.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:38 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,573 Likes on 824 Posts

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
Mark, that is just crap that you are saying. I've run holed AP Racing rotors that lasted years. It DEPENDS on the quality of the rotor.

LOL....sofa king truue, on both points.

Marc, I guess I agree with RedlineMan here. While they look like there is a bit of life left in them, depending on what your next track is, if they were MY rotors, I would probably replace them now.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 07-13-2009, 11:05 AM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
... that rotor is about half gone in my world, and needs to be monitored. ...
+1. I'd say they're probably half-way done, maybe 2/3rds. At least that's how mine look at roughly 7-12 days (half their life).
Old 07-13-2009, 11:12 AM
iLLM3
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RedlineMan
Blah, blah, blah...

No... they don't look that bad, but the reality is you can never tell. They could last 3-4-5-6... more events, or they could explode on your next run. If you are smart you will at the very least have a new set of rotors ready and waiting.
Agreed... My rotors look the same as pictured (except the 3rd row wasn't close like that to connecting, just cracks up and down from the drilled holes)... People had concern for me at VIR for 3 days of use, and I said don't worry they are good and i'll monitor them... After those 3 days, they looked the same, actually better lol jk.. Just did a thunderbolt 3 days event, again tech guys were like did you see your rotors? I'm like um yea, and I have a replacement, guess what, after event they still look the same... Keep on using them, just keep an eye on them, they still have good life in them!

Quick Reply: Front brake rotor cracks - time to replace?