Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track Guys - What brake fluid are you using?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 12:43 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

SRF is worth 0.2sec/lap ...
(just beating the bushes a bit).
Old 06-14-2009, 01:29 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

the new Cup and RSR's are using Endless Racing Fluid and I see in another thread that almost all of the more successful endurance teams are running Endless Racing pads as well...looks like Pagid is an also ran lately....
Old 06-14-2009, 01:58 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 64 Posts

My racing budget has been slashed. Everyone know me for my use of used Toyos. Now, im using used rotors and I'm thinking of using Wesson oil for brake fluid.
Old 06-14-2009, 02:35 PM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Let us know how that goes.

My car with an instructor in it weighs about 3800lbs. I change SRF at the beginning of the season, never bleed the brakes, never have a soft pedal or fade, or any other brake issues.

I was told that it's not a problem to just flush out your system with the SRF when you change from another fluid. No worries about the small amount of residue from the previous fluid.
Old 06-14-2009, 04:05 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bgiere
the new Cup and RSR's are using Endless Racing Fluid and I see in another thread that almost all of the more successful endurance teams are running Endless Racing pads as well...looks like Pagid is an also ran lately....
Spec-wise, I'm not sure what makes the Endless fluid that special.
Old 06-14-2009, 04:31 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

IMHO, all that really matters is the Dry point in a heavily maintained race car, does the Motul 660 go to 660F Dry? Do Cup car owners just ignore the brake systems, maybe changing the fluid once a year or so?
Old 06-14-2009, 06:44 PM
bad soden

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Castrol SRF
Old 06-15-2009, 02:17 PM
brianlin87
Track Day

Originally Posted by JW in Texas
There's a reason Cup cars come w/SRF, it's the best! Flush it once a year & forget it. Like Brant said, if your time is worth anything, it ends up being the cheapest one out there in the long run.
I used to think the same until I did some homework. Turns out the Cup cars come with RF-650 fluid comes OE on the Cup Cars.

Originally Posted by bgiere
Just found out that Endless RF-650 fluid was used in the Formula One Brawn GP team. That’s crazy hardcore!
Old 06-15-2009, 02:33 PM
brianlin87
Track Day

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
Spec-wise, I'm not sure what makes the Endless fluid that special.
I believe I have an answer for that question. Just got an e-mail back from Endless USA and I've exchanged various e-mails and phone conversations with them since I started this thread.

Originally Posted by Endless USA
I’ve noticed that most tuner guys run Motul RBF600 for whatever reason. Motul’s fine in terms of boiling points but so are AP600 and Castrol SRF.

BUT, what you guys have to pay attention to in addition to boiling points is stuff like boiling point with water content or compressibility. Why? Because racing brake fluids absorb more water than street fluids do.
Here’s a graph of boiling points according to water content. Our RF-650 and the AP600 are very stable, with the RF-650 being a bit better. However, the SRF drops off violently when you get water in it. This means you can keep the RF-650 in there longer without having to do a full flush in fear of having water in the system. Water in the system means it’ll boil giving you a spongy brake pedal.

Now the other issue; compressibility. With our RF-650 brake fluid being standard original equipment on all Porsche GT3 Cup cars (Yes. Standard equipment from Porsche.), a lot of various teams in the US have been in close contact with us regarding it. Most have never heard of it before Porsche started using it as an OE part 2 years ago. Most of them had been using Castrol SRF.

What these GT3 Cup car teams have been telling me is that they’d put the fluid in the system, bleed it, and then go out on track. 5 or 10 minutes into the session the drivers would report the brake pedal feeling soft. So, they’d bring the cars in and check for air only to find none in the system. The actual issue ended up being compressibility. In short, different brake fluids compress more than others which accounted for the drivers reporting a soft pedal.

The teams tried a bunch of different fluids before realizing they should try ours (reason being they had never heard of Endless and they didn’t know where to get it). The teams tried AP, Motul, and others even I had never heard of, all still ending up with the same issue. Finally, when the GT3 Cup cars ran at the Formula 1 Grand Prix in Canada, they talked to the F1 teams. What they found out is that there are only two brake fluids used in Formula 1; one being Endless. Turns out the Brembo fluid and ours are the only ones without severe compressibility issues. And no, you’re GTR isn’t factory equipped with the Brembo fluid.
Old 06-15-2009, 02:39 PM
JW in Texas
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Brian,
That could be on the later cars. I was going by what was spec'd on my '97 993 & '00 996 Cups. I think my 993 had a tag specifying SRF but I'm old & it's been awhile
Old 06-15-2009, 02:53 PM
brianlin87
Track Day

Originally Posted by JW in Texas
Brian,
That could be on the later cars. I was going by what was spec'd on my '97 993 & '00 996 Cups. I think my 993 had a tag specifying SRF but I'm old & it's been awhile
JW, no problem. I know exactly what you're talking about. I've actually seen under the hood of older Cup cars and saw the Sticker Label stipulating "use SRF only".

I think the underlying statement that Endless was trying to communicate to me, was that what used to be the standard on OE Cup cars, has no changed. I'm just eager to share what I learned. No harm, no foul. Just trying to spread some knowledge while making a few new friends along the way.
Old 06-15-2009, 02:54 PM
Darren
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Gary R.
IMHO, all that really matters is the Dry point in a heavily maintained race car, does the Motul 660 go to 660F Dry? Do Cup car owners just ignore the brake systems, maybe changing the fluid once a year or so?
Totally disagree. The wet boiling point is what matters. No matter how hard you try there is always some amount of moisture that will get in. The wet point is where these fluids all differ.
Old 06-15-2009, 03:20 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My understanding is that SRF is actually made from a different product than others and that is part of why it is so expensive and so good. It was all I used for years until switching to GS 610 a couple years ago which I have found to be as good with temps and better with pedal feel. There is an explaination for why this is but it's too much for me to explain here.

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
I know that you know better than that, All DoT 3, 4, 5.1 brke fluids are hygroscopic, SRF is just at the good end of the curve in this regard.

SRF is great stuff but it's not necessary to pay the SRF price to get SRF performance. You can do 2 Motul 600 fluid changes for the cost of 1 SRF change and w/ biannual changes(which won't be needed for many users) the wet performance difference approaches zero

CASTROL SRF 590°F 518°F $69.99/33.8oz.
MOTUL RACING 600 593°F 420°F $15.00/16.9oz.

each car setup stresses the brakes to a different extent, for some the high end stuff is absolutely neccessary, for others an annual flush w/ AT200(blue or yellow) is fine, each owner needs to evaluate their own needs. Certainly at the very least an anual flush is necessary but in stressed systems much more frequent changes are needed.

Besides cost the other issue w/ SRF is that though it can be mixed w/ other DoT 3 & 4 types, it looses much of it's ability to deal w/ moisture. SRF needs to be kept separate from others to attain peak performnace
Old 06-15-2009, 03:29 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Darren
Totally disagree. The wet boiling point is what matters. No matter how hard you try there is always some amount of moisture that will get in. The wet point is where these fluids all differ.
How much moisture gets into a race car brake system that bleeds out a pint+ of fluid every 2 months and fully flushes at least once per year? That was my point, but if you have data that contradicts what common sense tells me, I would certainly look at it and give it more thought..
Old 06-15-2009, 03:41 PM
brianlin87
Track Day

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
SRF is great stuff but it's not necessary to pay the SRF price to get SRF performance. You can do 2 Motul 600 fluid changes for the cost of 1 SRF change and w/ biannual changes(which won't be needed for many users) the wet performance difference approaches zero

CASTROL SRF 590°F 518°F $69.99/33.8oz.
MOTUL RACING 600 593°F 420°F $15.00/16.9oz.

each car setup stresses the brakes to a different extent, for some the high end stuff is absolutely neccessary, for others an annual flush w/ AT200(blue or yellow) is fine, each owner needs to evaluate their own needs. Certainly at the very least an anual flush is necessary but in stressed systems much more frequent changes are needed.

Besides cost the other issue w/ SRF is that though it can be mixed w/ other DoT 3 & 4 types, it looses much of it's ability to deal w/ moisture. SRF needs to be kept separate from others to attain peak performnace
Bill, I believe Endless should be plugged into this discussion as well. Endless, price-wise is between Motul and SRF.

ENDLESS 424°F 622°F $33/16.75oz.

DOT5.1 approved fluid, and thus compatible with all DOT3 and DOT4 brake systems.

Quick Reply: Track Guys - What brake fluid are you using?