Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track Guys - What brake fluid are you using?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 03:57 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FYI - Not all brake fluid companies use the same test for boiling points which causes a variance in the results. It's not just how it holds up to boiling wet or dry, and I agree that the wet number is more important of the 2, but also how it retains that moisture in the fluid which directly affects the performance.
I will try to post some more on this later, must work now.
Old 06-15-2009, 03:59 PM
JW in Texas
Three Wheelin'

Here's some more info for you guys:

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...fluid_1a.shtml
Old 06-15-2009, 06:47 PM
brianlin87
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JW in Texas
Here's some more info for you guys:

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...fluid_1a.shtml
Good factual information JW. However, the boiling point temperature table data collected back in 2004 may be another reason why people have never heard of the brand Endless. I noticed that on that table, the brand of Endless isn't even mentioned.

I shared with Endless USA this thread and had a pretty long conversation with them yesterday in regards to the differences between their fluid and their competitors.

One of the things I can glean from our conversation was that they believe the RF-650 fluid has far better longevity than their competitors. Turns out, Motul seems to have a longevity problem (apparently one should look at the production batch to ensure it hasnt been sitting on a shelf for too long). An analogy he mentioned when talking to him over the phone was that the oil was almost directly correlated to the elasticity of beer; the longer it is after its "brewed", the more water can potentially be absorbed by the oil just sitting in its plastic bottle.

Another statement I gleaned from our conversation was that he mentioned something along the lines of the SRF performance dropping off "like a cliff" when its at its wet boiling point, which is why so many SRF users flush biannually.

In comparing the 3 fluids, it turns out that with the use of RF-650, they've had countless professional teams not need to flush for an entire season/year, moreover, had no problems with performance even if the fluid was produced several YEARS ago. One thing he did state that was pertinent was that not everyone will have a sensitive enough touch to notice the superior compressibility characteristics or hydraulic properties that the Endless fluid provides, but that their fluid definitely maintains its dry boiling points longer than its competitors.

Talking to the guys over at Endless USA I've learned a great deal in the last week. Hopefully some guys here on Rennlist can use their products in the near future and attest the same.

Last edited by brianlin87; 06-16-2009 at 03:09 PM.
Old 06-15-2009, 06:59 PM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Where can you buy it?
Old 06-15-2009, 07:41 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 553 Likes on 382 Posts

There are lots of excellent fluids, i just speced a couple.

for a fuller list look here

or

here

as i said not everyone needs the expensive stuff or even really frequent changes

I have zero issues w/ ATE200 in my 2900# 993, it does have RS brakes
Old 06-15-2009, 07:48 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

If you are concerned w/ wet boiling points pick up a brake fluid moisture tester, there are several versions and cost is ~$50

most people know they have a problem because the fluid boils and the peddle goes to the floor, if you don't have this issue then what you have, changed at least annually, is fine.
Old 06-15-2009, 07:52 PM
boss351
Instructor

Originally Posted by Land Jet
Where can you buy it?
Looks like Vivid Racing has it.
Old 06-15-2009, 07:53 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Where can you buy it?
I am starting to think you can buy it from Brianlin87.

Marc
Old 06-15-2009, 08:16 PM
JW in Texas
Three Wheelin'

Brian,
Good info from Endless. I'll give it a try next season when I do a complete flush although in the Boxster you don't use your brakes much
Old 06-15-2009, 08:41 PM
Wreck Me Otter
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by brianlin87
I shared with Endless USA this thread and some feedback they had to share was the following:

Originally Posted by Endless USA
With Motul, the longevity problem is so bad, that you even have to pay attention to the production batch to ensure it hasnt been sitting on a shelf for too long. The Motul can be as sensitive as beer; the longer it is after its "brewed", the more water its absorbed by just sitting in its plastic bottle.
Are they trying to say that a unopened sealed bottle of brake fluid will absorb water?
Old 06-15-2009, 08:46 PM
boss351
Instructor

Originally Posted by Wreck Me Otter
Are they trying to say that a unopened sealed bottle of brake fluid will absorb water?
Good point, I believe Motul is sealed with nitrogen. How is it going to absorb water sitting on a shelf?
Old 06-15-2009, 08:50 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Better than SRF?
Blasphemy...
Old 06-15-2009, 08:51 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Wreck Me Otter
I've heard this from a # of usually reliable sources, plastic bottles allow moisture transport w/ time, metal does not.

I have no idea as to the validity of the statement.

The supposed compressibility of DoT 4 or 5.1 fluid also fails the smell test.

DoT 5(silicone based) does have know compressibility issues, perhaps that was the reference fluid

again if you evaluate your own situation and respond accordingly the issue is moot
Old 06-15-2009, 09:02 PM
brianlin87
Track Day

Where can you buy it?
I personally purchased it from GoTuning in Orange County, CA, but I think I've seen it on the shelves at BBi in Huntington and GMG Racing.

Originally Posted by Marc Shaw
I am starting to think you can buy it from Brianlin87.

Marc
Marc,

Rest-assured, I am in no way a salesperson or affiliated with Endless USA. The facts/claims shared in this thread are merely a copy and paste of e-mails exchanged between us over the last week and a reiteration of the handful of phone calls shared.

I personally work in real-estate land secured financing, so, as you can imagine, free time is on my side.

Originally Posted by ltc
Better than SRF?
Blasphemy...
Good enough for OE Cup, good enough for me!

Last edited by brianlin87; 06-16-2009 at 04:01 PM.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:19 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

I'm confused by the following statement:

"The SRF performance drops off a cliff when its at its wet boiling point, which is why so many SRF users flush biannually."

Once you boil any fluid, by definition you liberate gas, which makes it compressible. How can any brake fluid perform well when it has been boiled? I must be missing something.

Quick Reply: Track Guys - What brake fluid are you using?