Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track Guys - What brake fluid are you using?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 03:07 PM
brianlin87
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Track Guys - What brake fluid are you using?

I've been into track for about a few years now, and ever since I can remember I've always been recommended to use Motul 600; but the other day a friend of mine suggested I spend a little more money (IIRC, the price difference between the two is no more than $15 per 1/2 liter) and try some Endless Brake RF-650 fluid to see if I could feel the difference.

Hypothetically, I was a bit reluctant to believe that I would feel anything. I used to think brake fluid is brake fluid is brake fluid. Key word, used to. After having made the switch to Endless Fluid, I was actually really impressed with the pedal feel with the Endless (vs. the Motul) at the track the other day.

Kinda curious... I like Endless, but I was curious if anyone else out there has used them?

Last edited by brianlin87; 06-12-2009 at 03:36 PM.
Old 06-12-2009, 03:27 PM
Noel
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Castrol SRF. I flush twice a season and almost never have to bleed in between.
Old 06-12-2009, 03:33 PM
Darren
Burning Brakes

SRF = overkill for a newbie $70/quart! Brian what car do you have and what brake pads and tires are you running?

My opinion is that like going to sticky tires, going to super uber brake fluid can mask driver problems. If you're cooking the Motul and you're in the beginner DE groups then you need to continue to work on braking technique, IMHO Actually that might go for any DE group in any car...

The fluids should all feel the same as long as they aren't cooked and they don't have water in them, that is they are non-compressible.
Old 06-12-2009, 03:37 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,496 Likes on 792 Posts

I use Motul, either 600 or 650...I forget.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 06-12-2009, 03:44 PM
trumperZ06
Burning Brakes

Motul RBF 600.

My car is a daily driver (once or twice per week) seeing track duty ~ one weekend/month.

I prefer to do a full flush before each track event.

I would use Castrol SRF if I had a dedicated track/race car.

Old 06-12-2009, 03:45 PM
DAVISRILEY
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
I use Motul, either 600 or 650...I forget.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
+1.
Old 06-12-2009, 04:01 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Cup Car: SRF
Anything else: Motul RBF

Won't use ATE Blue or Typ 200 (ATE Gold)
Old 06-12-2009, 04:34 PM
Giacomo
Pro

Originally Posted by trumperZ06
Motul RBF 600.

My car is a daily driver (once or twice per week) seeing track duty ~ one weekend/month.

I prefer to do a full flush before each track event.

I would use Castrol SRF if I had a dedicated track/race car.

I think a flush before each track event is probably overkill, bleeding should be sufficient. I use Motul 600 in the race car and bleed after the Saturday races and Sunday enduro and change after every two or three race weekends depending on time between events.
Old 06-12-2009, 05:12 PM
cooz
Pro

SRF is best i've used....best performance & feel with lowest maintenance
Old 06-12-2009, 05:21 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by DAVISRILEY
+1.
+2
Old 06-12-2009, 05:32 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by brianlin87
I've been into track for about a few years now, and ever since I can remember I've always been recommended to use Motul 600; but the other day a friend of mine suggested I spend a little more money (IIRC, the price difference between the two is no more than $15 per 1/2 liter) and try some Endless Brake RF-650 fluid to see if I could feel the difference.

Hypothetically, I was a bit reluctant to believe that I would feel anything. I used to think brake fluid is brake fluid is brake fluid. Key word, used to. After having made the switch to Endless Fluid, I was actually really impressed with the pedal feel with the Endless (vs. the Motul) at the track the other day.

Kinda curious... I like Endless, but I was curious if anyone else out there has used them?
I primarily use Motul (600 or 660) when I use endurance pads (PFC 06/97 or Pagid Yellow). But, for some reason, when I used PFC-01s, I would have to use SRF or I encounter fading issues. Don't ask me why. Things are better now that I have upgrded to better cooling and using Motul is fine, even with 01s.

As for pedal feel, the combination of PFC-01 and SRF feels better than PFC-06/97 and Motul, but only slightly better in initial pressure feedback [not as spongy to get the first "bite," which is just as likely to be the 01s as SRF]. And, my data shows that it is only marginally faster, but substantially more expensive.

-td
Old 06-12-2009, 05:44 PM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Super blue with no problems w/ stock rsa calipers., bleed every event.
Old 06-12-2009, 05:53 PM
Dan in Florida
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by brianlin87

Castrol SRF.
Old 06-12-2009, 06:10 PM
brianlin87
Track Day

Originally Posted by Darren
SRF = overkill for a newbie $70/quart! Brian what car do you have and what brake pads and tires are you running?

My opinion is that like going to sticky tires, going to super uber brake fluid can mask driver problems. If you're cooking the Motul and you're in the beginner DE groups then you need to continue to work on braking technique, IMHO Actually that might go for any DE group in any car...

The fluids should all feel the same as long as they aren't cooked and they don't have water in them, that is they are non-compressible.
Pagid RS19/Toyo R888. I've been tracking for some time now, but I still definitely have a lot to learn.

After having a positive experience using Endless brake fluid I did a little internet research and stumbled across this link on 6spdonline and thought it was quite interesting there existed a lot of facts about Endless I had no clue about: (don't know if cross linking the two forums is allowed):

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/g...yesterday.html

Definitely learned something new today.

I've heard of Endless brake calipers and brake pads from all the Japanese Tuners and when I used to follow the "JDM crowd". To me, I never would've thought Endless was ever really mentioned outside of the Japanese Motorsports World. After reading the aforementioned thread, turns out that the RF-650 fluid comes OE on Porsche Cup Cars. Who would've known?

Without being said, it's no question Castrol SRF has a great product/track record. I'm definitely not questioning the Castrol product quality nor am I attempting to endorse Endless. I just wanted to share what I learned from a little due diligence. Seems interesting to me that a commonly used product in the Motorsports World has little or no experience amongst us track goers.

Maybe someone else on this forum could give this fluid a try so I don't feel like I'm just playing mind-games in my head/feet. (I have some extra fluid laying around as well if someone in So Cal would like)
Old 06-12-2009, 06:14 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 79 Posts

ATE Blue or Gold works for me.

Quick Reply: Track Guys - What brake fluid are you using?