Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there "etiquette" when posting vids of a crash you are not involved in??

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 11:19 AM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Is there "etiquette" when posting vids of a crash you are not involved in??

ok I crashed in a race last weekend. I would call it a "racing" incident. It was at Sebring. I "tried" to pass two Ferrari's under heavy braking on the inside of turn 10. I almost made it but unfortunately I hit the rear of the front Ferrari.

I looked at my vid a million times and if I had to do it over I would not have tried the pass. It initially seemed to me I had the inside. however when beside the other car I thought he would stay to the outside of the corner and me the inside. however he turned in at the usual DE turn in point an tracked right to the apex, ah right were I was. he said he didnt see me and I said well I probably shouldnt have been there.

His rear wheel was cracked and minor cosmetic damage. he re-entered the race, won class and forth overall.

my cars front upright, radiatior, and tie rod broke so I was done.

after the race we were good he was quite the gentleman about it and I also told him I would in the spirit of sportsmenship buy him a new rear wheel.
he was very happy about that and I think all was good.

the flatbed truck driver also mentioned PBOC didnt pay him for the tow off the track? so yea paid him also (try to do the right thing?)

anyway I was sick to my stomach since the crash and beat myself up a million times but life goes on.

well I have great vid of the crash but in the sense of fairness and in the era of lawyers, insurance, etc really would have never thought of making a youtube vid of it for the entire world to see. not because of my ego, I love critiscism and love to learn but for the other reasons I mentioned.

well the "other" ferrari (the other drivers friend) didnt think the way I did and posted a vid of the crash on you tube. what say you?

and yes now that that it is up I will post as well? must admit his vid looks worse than my in car vid and I am glad I bought the Ferrari driver (Tim) a new wheel.

here is the other guys vid, I will post up latter, maybe.

just curious as to would one post a vid of a crash of someone else? is that cool or not? I personally would not have done it.

the perpetual student

tom

this was posted from the other ferrari car.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEFkwkEGMdg

this was my in car vid, just go to the end........not pretty.............

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0g_9-T4PZo

Last edited by tkerrmd; 05-22-2009 at 01:26 PM.
Old 05-22-2009, 11:32 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

Sorry to hear, Tom, glad you are OK.

To answer your question: if there is any doubt as to whether to post or not...there is no doubt.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 05-22-2009, 11:40 AM
d15b7
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

good morning!

on the subject of having yourself posted up by someone else in a race -- yup, happens every race! i'd say at least 75% of folks now have on board cameras (i always run one; especially useful for protests and explanations to the stewards); i'd say that the general consensus in a race situation is that you better be prepared to be caught doing whatever you are doing on film; and shortly thereafter, you are probably going to be a star on 'youtube' or 'vimeo'. that's just the way it is nowadays... (i try to use common sense, but many others don't!)

on the subject of the incident in question -- i am not surprised that the front ferrari didn't see you; you came from WAY back, passing another car which may have been partially obscuring his view.... it is perhaps best described as an 'ultra low percentage move'; i'd not have tried to pick off two cars at that location, in that turn, in that manner. i'd have been content with passing the 1st ferrari, and then worked on passing the next one at the next opportunity....

racing is all about experience, and living, and learning! sounds like you are taking this in a positive manner, and learning from it -- good for you! hope you get your car back in order quickly, and back to the next race soon!

todd
ReidSpeed

PS it was very nice of you to pay for his wheel! thumbs up for that.
Old 05-22-2009, 11:51 AM
DogInBlack
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a couple of videos of crashes that I was not involved in. One fellow asked me not to post it, so I pulled it after a couple of days. It turned into a bigger deal than it should have, but I can respect a fellow track junkie.

My thought is that if those involved in the incident don't mind, everyone can learn from mistakes and it can be beneficial to us as participants in the sport.

Tom, you went much further than most would with doing what is right. Cheers to you for being gracious and showing great sportsmanship!
Old 05-22-2009, 11:54 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by DogInBlack
Tom, you went much further than most would with doing what is right. Cheers to you for being gracious and showing great sportsmanship!

+1

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 05-22-2009, 11:56 AM
DarkSideDE
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It use to be for print - you asked permission. The reason being, you never knew what the other guy was going to tell his insurance agent.

Most are honest and don't mind the publication - but for the sake of manners, it is always better to ask first. And you get brownie points for asking - that's a good thing! Will just let Miss Manners take it from here... she always wrote a good book!
Old 05-22-2009, 12:07 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,272 Likes on 1,931 Posts

Originally Posted by d15b7
good morning!

on the subject of having yourself posted up by someone else in a race -- yup, happens every race! i'd say at least 75% of folks now have on board cameras (i always run one; especially useful for protests and explanations to the stewards); i'd say that the general consensus in a race situation is that you better be prepared to be caught doing whatever you are doing on film; and shortly thereafter, you are probably going to be a star on 'youtube' or 'vimeo'. that's just the way it is nowadays... (i try to use common sense, but many others don't!)

on the subject of the incident in question -- i am not surprised that the front ferrari didn't see you; you came from WAY back, passing another car which may have been partially obscuring his view.... it is perhaps best described as an 'ultra low percentage move'; i'd not have tried to pick off two cars at that location, in that turn, in that manner. i'd have been content with passing the 1st ferrari, and then worked on passing the next one at the next opportunity....

racing is all about experience, and living, and learning! sounds like you are taking this in a positive manner, and learning from it -- good for you! hope you get your car back in order quickly, and back to the next race soon!

todd
ReidSpeed

PS it was very nice of you to pay for his wheel! thumbs up for that.
Totally agree with this. The Ferrari you hit was probably focused on the car immediately behind him. The inside move to go past 2 cars at that location is probably optimistic at best and he probably never thought anyone would try that move there.

Your a good man Tom for stepping up and taking care of this. We all live and learn
Old 05-22-2009, 12:16 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a couple of videos of crashes that I was not involved in. One fellow asked me not to post it, so I pulled it after a couple of days. It turned into a bigger deal than it should have, but I can respect a fellow track junkie.

My thought is that if those involved in the incident don't mind, everyone can learn from mistakes and it can be beneficial to us as participants in the sport.

+100
Old 05-22-2009, 12:17 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by tkerrmd
...after the race we were good he was quite the gentleman about it and I also told him I would in the spirit of sportsmenship buy him a new rear wheel.
he was very happy about that and I think all was good.

the flatbed truck driver also mentioned PBOC didnt pay him for the tow off the track? so yea paid him also (try to do the right thing?)

Firstly paying for the other guys wheel is ok and all but not required by any means. In early May I hit another racer when we were racing hard for position. My front wheel bearing failed and lost some braking ablity and I whacked him pretty good as we were side by side in curved brake zone taking us both out. At once towed in I appologized profusely, and he was ok with it as we have known each other for years and knew it was part failure vs bonehead thing. Damage was pretty minor on both cars as the worst of it was really fenders pushed into tires. Anyway other than the appology I offer nothing. Frankly I don't have $$$ to give him for body work and will have to spend lot of time doing my own body work.

Now paying the tow guys? That is crazy as the club pays them a flat rate to be there on call. I would never pay the tow crew to tow my back to the pits and after they towed me in after my contact I the though never cross my mind.

Now as for posting crashes vids.

1) if your not involved never unless you get approval from those involved.
2) OK if your involved and no injuries and during a race.
3) If there are injuries I would not post
4) if it is a in street car group I would not post.
Old 05-22-2009, 01:32 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

thanks all for the input. Joe I offered to help pay for damages cause that is how I am I was not trying to set a precident for others. also I could say I was suprised he took a DE line, he didnt see me, my brakes where not up to temp, and I did think all three, bottom line for me was I felt I made an error in judgement and hit Tim and manned up. other situations may dictate otherwise and believe you me I dont ever expect anyone to do the same for me cause bottom line really is racing is racing if you are out there tough luck. It just left a bad taste in my mouth and I wanted to make amends. the other car driver was very nice and did not expect or demand anything.

I did add my in car vid to the initial post for viewing pleasure..........

tom
Old 05-22-2009, 03:09 PM
Weston
Racer

I wouldn't publicly post a clip of just the incident unless I was involved in it and there were no injuries, or a person involved in it wanted me to post it. However, if a wreck happened during a race and my camera happened to see it, then in most cases, I wouldn't see a reason for that to prevent posting the entire race video... I just wouldn't advertise the incident contained within.

As for paying for damage, it's a nice thing to do if you were totally at fault, but it's not required and shouldn't be expected. When we go racing wheel-to-wheel, we accept the risk of having our car balled up, even if it's through no fault of our own. I'm all for doing the right thing though, and would try to help someone (within reason) if I wrecked them and it was clearly my fault, but I would not demand or expect anything if someone wrecked me... it sucks, but it comes with the territory. No one is out there wrecking people intentionally, and we all take risks which have the potential to end badly.
Old 05-22-2009, 03:25 PM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 31 Posts

+1,000,000
If only everybody out there would have the same attitude as you!

I looked at both of the videos and to me it seems that you were the one at fault.
The Ferrari had already committed to his line and you drove into him, not the other way around.
Had you had your front bumber next to his rear bumber before he started the turn in, then it would've been his fault.

But man, you car sounds nice! I can only imagine how it feels with all the weight lost and the power it has.
Old 05-22-2009, 03:32 PM
chris_v
Instructor

I had a similar dilema about a month ago involving an incident with me and another car. I chose not to post the incident publicly just because I had some doubt in my mind that he wouldnt be comfortable with it. Though the full race was posted online eventually that highlight wasnt stated or pointed out.
Old 05-22-2009, 04:06 PM
Giacomo
Pro

While I agree that it was very sporting of you to pay for the wheel and towing, you were completely liable for the collision, as much as one can be in racing. The only way you were getting through there is if the other driver totally gave you the corner.
Old 05-22-2009, 04:18 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

Bummer, glad no one was hurt.

I'm very surprised at the tow charge, I'm thinking the tow driver decided to make a bit on the side

Quick Reply: Is there "etiquette" when posting vids of a crash you are not involved in??