Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there "etiquette" when posting vids of a crash you are not involved in??

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 04:29 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Lemming
I'm very surprised at the tow charge, I'm thinking the tow driver decided to make a bit on the side
Seriously. I don't think I would have paid. If the tow truck driver is being honest, does he just show up at these events and wait for people needing tows? If the club isn't paying him for this, that must be what he's doing, right?

Also, they should really announce that policy ahead of time if that's what really happens. I bet you'd have a lot more people trying to drive their broken down, oil spilling mess of a car to pit lane if they have to pay for the tow.
Old 05-22-2009, 05:39 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 87 Posts

Regarding posting crash vid's.. If it isn't you. Don't do it. If its you and someone else- its the same thing.

Insurance and all other factors aside, its ghoulish revelry in the misfortunes of others.

if I catch someone crashing on tape, they can have a private copy if they want. Thats it.
Old 05-22-2009, 05:54 PM
joseph mitro
Race Car

Received 246 Likes on 160 Posts

tkerrmd.......you're a respectable racer. sounds like the kind we need more of!!

Originally Posted by Juha G
Had you had your front bumber next to his rear bumber before he started the turn in, then it would've been his fault.
i disagree. IMHO it's generally accepted the corner is yours if you're at least halfway parallel to the competitior upon entering the corner, not at his rear bumper. now that's BMWCCA club racing, not sure what other organizations use as a guideline.

Originally Posted by Lemming
I'm very surprised at the tow charge, I'm thinking the tow driver decided to make a bit on the side
seriously!
Old 05-22-2009, 06:12 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

I don't know. I've never been clear on pic /video posting protocol but I'm guessing that his motivation was something along the lines of "code brown moment caught on tape" not "look at this asshat that ran into my buddy". His reply to a critical comment on YouTube bears that out.

What are you? 4 year's old? Both individuals involved are well qualified drivers who love racing. I was the silver car behind the crash. It was the opening lap of the first race of the weekend and there was a lot of adrenaline pumping in all of us. Both individuals handled the situation with professionalism and respect, IMHO. I have an idea. Why don't you put a $100K self funded car on the track at full race speed and then start calling people fu**in idiots. Until then shut the hell up.

I wouldn't post unless I either cleared it with those involved or the at-fault driver was an ******* about it; which you clearly were not. Was the wheel the only thing damaged on the Farrari?

**** happens. Way to Man-up Tom.
Old 05-22-2009, 06:13 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If the video is of you and the other guy agrees to a public posting of it - AND insurance is not involved, go for it.

Anything else just results in unpredictable and hurt egos, feelings, pride and all that BS.
Old 05-22-2009, 06:35 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Juha G
+1,000,000
If only everybody out there would have the same attitude as you!

I looked at both of the videos and to me it seems that you were the one at fault.
The Ferrari had already committed to his line and you drove into him, not the other way around.
Had you had your front bumber next to his rear bumber before he started the turn in, then it would've been his fault.

But man, you car sounds nice! I can only imagine how it feels with all the weight lost and the power it has.
I agree with that analysis and yes the car is very fast.
see ya out there!
Old 05-22-2009, 07:10 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Fwiw, I don't see him taking a "DE" line, I see him taking the proper line when he doesn't think anyone is on his inside.
Old 05-22-2009, 08:28 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
Fwiw, I don't see him taking a "DE" line, I see him taking the proper line when he doesn't think anyone is on his inside.
Agreed.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 05-22-2009, 08:36 PM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJupeman

+1

Don't get caught up in the "he took the DE line" thought process. He was racing, was the lead into the corner and had the prerogative to take the corner any way he wanted. You hit him past the point where you should have been turning for the inside/overtaking line you were on.

Good racers not only have good control of themselves and their cars but they have good situational awareness and must think about the other drivers too. In this situation, here's what I would have thought:

Ok, if the guy in front of me gives me an opening, I can out-brake him and take him on the inside. I'm going to be on the inside line so I'm going to have to be able to slow down enough to make the corner. I see the guy in front of him too and if I don't slow down, I could plow right into him. Ok, make the pass, slow down, make the corner and go get the next guy.

It probably would not have occurred to me to try to take both because I am always more worried in 10 about slowing down once I overtake the other guy on the inside. If it would have occurred to me, it would have been more likely to have been on the LAST lap....

That said, **** happens when you're racing. You'll learn more from this than 3-4 clean weekends.
Old 05-22-2009, 10:30 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Charlie, Peter you are both right and I appreciate your insight, I screwed up I will try to not have it happend again.
Old 05-22-2009, 10:40 PM
GT3CAR
Needs to Get a Life
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sbelles
I don't know. I've never been clear on pic /video posting protocol but I'm guessing that his motivation was something along the lines of "code brown moment caught on tape" not "look at this asshat that ran into my buddy". His reply to a critical comment on YouTube bears that out.

What are you? 4 year's old? Both individuals involved are well qualified drivers who love racing. I was the silver car behind the crash. It was the opening lap of the first race of the weekend and there was a lot of adrenaline pumping in all of us. Both individuals handled the situation with professionalism and respect, IMHO. I have an idea. Why don't you put a $100K self funded car on the track at full race speed and then start calling people fu**in idiots. Until then shut the hell up.

I wouldn't post unless I either cleared it with those involved or the at-fault driver was an ******* about it; which you clearly were not. Was the wheel the only thing damaged on the Farrari?

**** happens. Way to Man-up Tom.
Actually Scott that was me who replied to the stupid comment on youtube. 99.9% of the time I resist the urge to respond to stupid comments but I could not resist this time since it was by bud Tom......
Old 05-22-2009, 11:14 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tkerrmd
Charlie, Peter you are both right and I appreciate your insight, I screwed up I will try to not have it happend again.
Based on that attitude, it probably won't happen again. I surmise that you will learn very quickly what is and what isn't a passing opportunity. One big thing that I have said about racecraft is that you have to know your car first, what it can and can't do, before you try and make those aggressive passes.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 05-22-2009, 11:31 PM
iLLM3
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad you guy's are okay Tom, sucks to see though man You'll be out there in no time though!
Old 05-22-2009, 11:32 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

thanks Larry

and Lindsey I am proud to call you my friend, thanks for the support, I will be a better wing man next time. thanks again.

tom
Old 05-23-2009, 03:57 AM
Brinkley
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

T.
I am sure you have heard, to finish first, you first must finish.

The first race in your Turbo you have to understand you have more HP than 99.9%, no 100% of the cars on the grid, including the cup cars. Therefore, you have to use your years of education to say, I'll take one Ferrari at Turn 10 and the second at Tower Turn. If it doesn't work at Bishop's I know it will work at the end of the long back straight at Sebring.

I know, I know, adrenalene! refer back to the "educational statement above".

Are you planning to run the PBOC Homestead Race?

Didn't want to talk to you during the post race cool down, you didn't look too cooled down.

By the way, I have been pulled/towed from the course at Sebring due to contact and blown engine and have never paid the tow truck driver. He simply unhooked me and drove off.

Last edited by Brinkley; 05-23-2009 at 11:31 AM.

Quick Reply: Is there "etiquette" when posting vids of a crash you are not involved in??