Sponsored by:

Racepak G2X and IQ3 Data Logger Group Buy NOW OVER

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 11:32 AM
Giacomo
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DanR,

I haven't really spent too much time with the software yet. I wasn't able to figure out how to get a good graph plotting against distance, rather than time, but I'm still a newbie too. Generally I think the software looks to be robust so its likely a matter of getting better acquainted. Playing a lap in real time would be a nice feature (if in fact that is not possible) but I'm not sure how useful that is. Normally I would be just looking at corner entry (decel g, speeds), cornering forces, and exit points to analyze performance and skip the stretches in between. I like that fact that there is now an integrated start feature with chase cam so probably next year I'll add one of those units. How is the car repair/rebuild coming?
Old 06-29-2009, 05:08 PM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

I just wanted to throw something out there about the G2X:
I was pleasantly surprised this weekend how close the laptimes displayed on my G2X matched the transponder times on the timesheets. Most of the time, well within 3/100 or 4/100 of a second.
I had one lap where I recorded a 2:04.70 on the G2X and the AMB timesheet showed a 4.714, so that one was a little off as far as the display went, but once I actually reviewed the data using the RacePak software, the number was closer to the AMB.

Anyway, the point is that the GPS on the G2X seems very accurate from a timing standpoint....

Just thought I'd throw that out there...
Old 06-29-2009, 05:15 PM
Giacomo
Pro

Originally Posted by BrianKeithSmith
I just wanted to throw something out there about the G2X:
I was pleasantly surprised this weekend how close the laptimes displayed on my G2X matched the transponder times on the timesheets. Most of the time, well within 3/100 or 4/100 of a second.
I had one lap where I recorded a 2:04.70 on the G2X and the AMB timesheet showed a 4.714, so that one was a little off as far as the display went, but once I actually reviewed the data using the RacePak software, the number was closer to the AMB.
The difference between 2:04.70 and 2:04.714 is only 1/100th of a second, so why do you think it was off? The time sheet usually come off in thousandths as were the racepak software reads in hundredths.
Old 06-29-2009, 05:23 PM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yes, you are correct 100ths of a difference off - I was just noting that the display showed a .70, but later analysis of the data showed a much closer match with the actual time.

Maybe I just didn't state it that well in my original post, and maybe I'm not stating it that well now

It's pretty accurate
Old 07-05-2009, 01:21 AM
FTS
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Giacomo
DanR,

I haven't really spent too much time with the software yet. I wasn't able to figure out how to get a good graph plotting against distance, rather than time, ...
If you are still looking for this, go to the "View" menu and select "Distance in X Mode" option.
Old 07-05-2009, 12:20 PM
Giacomo
Pro

Originally Posted by FlyingToaster
If you are still looking for this, go to the "View" menu and select "Distance in X Mode" option.
I've done that but it doesn't produce a graph that makes any sense. I think the scale on the x-axis needs to be changed.
Old 07-05-2009, 08:23 PM
FTS
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

You can zoom in and out, and the exact distance traveled is shown on the upper left hand corner of the graph area next to reference and selected lap times. Also, if you select to have sectors shown on the X axis as well, it will display the sectors on top of the graph's horizontal line, which helps correlate the data between reference lap and selected laps in conjunction to distance traveled.
Old 07-16-2009, 12:57 PM
maxcar
3rd Gear

I'm planning on getting some kind of data logging for my 944 S2 and I'd like to know if the oe throttle position sensor is accurate enough for logging. I mean, is it just an on/off switch, made up by steps or better? Has anyone here used it for logging?
Old 07-16-2009, 02:12 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by maxcar
I'm planning on getting some kind of data logging for my 944 S2 and I'd like to know if the oe throttle position sensor is accurate enough for logging. I mean, is it just an on/off switch, made up by steps or better? Has anyone here used it for logging?
The only diagram in my shop manuals covers up to 1988 944S [not S2].
The 944S has dual on/off switch [idle and WOT]
Not sure if the S2 is the same, but I suspect it might be. Maybe someone here can clarify that??

The Turbo has a potentiometer type TPS that provides a perfect signal for logging.
Old 08-25-2009, 07:59 PM
DanR
Drifting

Originally Posted by Giacomo
It was actually quite easy once I realized that the GMR module (just a little filter that attaches to the coil wire to pickup the tach rpm) requires you to cut the wire harness to get at the power/ground/tach signal wires (and throw away the plug end) in order to install on the iq3. The instructions could just have said that, but instead were written exclusively for the G2X.

It was a little frustrating because I would gladly have bought the little $42 GMR module in the first place and saved myself the headache, but live and learn. Other than that the iq3 is a really nice unit, you should get one Gary.
I am about to install mine tonight........ which coil wire do you attahce the GMR to (positive or negative?) or is it the exit coil lead wire which goes to distributor. Did you use the 2 washers or not?

anyone?

Last edited by DanR; 08-25-2009 at 09:01 PM.
Old 08-26-2009, 03:00 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Dan,
Put the GMR on the positive primary lead to the coil. Its likely that thsi lead is extended in a loop from the stock harness at the coil to your cutoff switch and back, which makes it easy.

Washer on top so that the little jaws are closed [magnetic circuit si complete] around the wire.

Easy peasy, and its all diagramed in the install notes that come with the GMR.
Old 01-21-2010, 03:47 PM
SmokinS4
1st Gear

Will a group buy start up again?
Old 02-10-2010, 05:01 AM
Coleco
Instructor

^what he said.

If so I am down for an IQ3.
Old 02-10-2010, 09:58 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

I'm interested in the IQ3, too.
Old 02-19-2010, 03:41 PM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Myself and possibly 2 others are interested in IQ3's as well.

Does anyone have a link to the manual available? I'd like to take a look through it before purchasing.

Quick Reply: Racepak G2X and IQ3 Data Logger Group Buy NOW OVER