Sponsored by:

Aiptek GVS Wide-Angle Conversion Lens

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 12:22 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Aiptek GVS Wide-Angle Conversion Lens

I'm getting ready to order an Aiptek GVS HD camera and would like to order a wide angle conversion lens at the same time. Does anyone know what side conversion lens is needed for the Aiptek GVS? I can't find the data in any of the spec info or online manual.

Thanks!
Old 05-19-2009, 04:13 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

cough* bump* help?
Old 05-19-2009, 04:24 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

I have the same general question, but all of the previous threads seem to be mentioning a .45mm lens. Though mine is an Aiptek HD, and that could be different than a GVS.
I guess I am not very helpful here!
Old 05-19-2009, 05:15 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Rick, the ".45" is actually the multiplier for the focal length. For example, it will make the focal length 45% of its normal focal length.

These conversion lenses have two relative dimensions--the focal length multiplier and the physical diameter of the lens they connect to.

From searching elsewhere trying to find the answer, it appears that the outside diameter of the GVS lens is 27mm. Therefore, we (GVS owners) can buy conversion lenses that fit 27mm in any focal length multiplier (i.e. 0.45, 0.6, 0.7, etc.).

Thanks for your help, though.
Old 05-19-2009, 05:19 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by InTheAir
Rick, the ".45" is actually the multiplier for the focal length. For example, it will make the focal length 45% of its normal focal length.

These conversion lenses have two relative dimensions--the focal length multiplier and the physical diameter of the lens they connect to.

From searching elsewhere trying to find the answer, it appears that the outside diameter of the GVS lens is 27mm. Therefore, we (GVS owners) can buy conversion lenses that fit 27mm in any focal length multiplier (i.e. 0.45, 0.6, 0.7, etc.).

Thanks for your help, though.
Thanks for that info; I was way off base.
Old 05-19-2009, 06:42 PM
SG_M3
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

http://www.amazon.com/Sunpak-CAM-211...2769101&sr=8-5

thats the one I use, but none fit very well. I tape mine on instead of using the magnetic adapter. It will come off with just using the magnet.

This is the wide angle above used on a GVS. Notice I didn't get the lens centered and it is fuzzy on the far left and right.
http://vimeo.com/4367877

Here is the same setup, but using the wide angle zoom trick in the GVS.
http://vimeo.com/4387567

Here is the same setup, but with the wide angle correctly attached.
http://vimeo.com/4207309
Old 05-19-2009, 10:21 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by SG_M3
Here is the same setup, but using the wide angle zoom trick in the GVS.
http://vimeo.com/4387567
Thanks, Sean!!

Can you explain the "wide angle zoom trick"?
Old 05-20-2009, 01:41 AM
SG_M3
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

you zoom the camera all the way out, then put it in macro mode and zoom out a little more, then switch back to the standard(non-macro mode) but don't touch the zoom. You'll see it widen the view a little bit more.

Here is a descriptive video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vb1DCM4Z9jE
Old 05-20-2009, 01:47 AM
APKhaos
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good old Fishycomics. He's been posting about the Aiptek since well before the first HD version was released, and was one of the first real Aiptek hardware hackers.
Neat trick, and a pure geek sneak.
Old 05-20-2009, 08:36 AM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Thank ye!
Old 05-20-2009, 05:28 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

We picked up a "Digital Optics" 0.45 wide angle magnetic mount, I believe around $30. Like the Sunpak, the magnet is useless. You have to wrap some tape around it to hold it in place. And the lens cap doesn't stay on.
Old 05-20-2009, 05:42 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Thanks, guys.

I ended up ordering an Aiptek GVS, with the conversion lens above, and a FilmTools Gripper 115 mount (I wanted a more robust mount....we'll see how it works out.)

I realize the video stabilization system isn't very helpful in the car, but this camera will probably find service in other family duties. Heck, I thought that at least the external mic jack will be helpful.

Now, I'll have to make a Frankencharger when it comes in.
Old 07-07-2009, 01:26 AM
jimack
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Use the external mic jack and run a lapel mic to somewhere with no wind noise - in my case I ran it to the trunk. A 20' lapel mic is $25-30. Picks up the exhaust noise but no wind noise.

http://vimeo.com/5318174
Old 07-07-2009, 06:18 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Whatever you do, don't order from New World Video Direct (newworldvideodirect.com). They are famous for calling and emailing you to tell you that "there is a problem with your order." I recently ordered a high quality, Canon wide angle video lens from them and was told that 1) the lens had a reputation for distortion and vignetting; 2) there was a superior, no-name lens that they sold. "Their" lens was $300, but they were willing to sell it to me for the same price as the Canon lens. I declined and promptly canceled my order after I did a better search on them. I ended up buying the lens for a few dollars more from B&H Photo.

http://www.resellerratings.com/store...rect_nwvdirect
Old 07-20-2009, 04:22 PM
Rob S
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

We picked up a "Digital Optics" 0.45 wide angle magnetic mount, I believe around $30. Like the Sunpak, the magnet is useless. You have to wrap some tape around it to hold it in place. And the lens cap doesn't stay on.
Eric,

Exactly which Digital Optics lens did you get and from where? I'm looking for a 0.45 x lens for an Aiptek camera, and can't find a source for one that has a 27mm base and a magnetic mount. (I understand that the magnetic mount doesn't work, though, and that tape will be needed). On Amazon, they only show one with a 30mm threaded mount.

I'm wishing for a wider angle view than either the Sunpack 0.5x lens or the "wide angle trick"lens provides.

Rob

Quick Reply: Aiptek GVS Wide-Angle Conversion Lens