Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aiptek GVS Wide-Angle Conversion Lens

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009 | 05:55 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Careful........the Aiptek A-HD takes a 27mm adaptor, but the GVS has a wider lens housing and takes a larger adaptor. I'm not sure exactly what diameter the GVS requires, but it looks considerably larger - maybe 35mm or more.
Old 07-20-2009 | 07:18 PM
Rob S
Pro

Tony,

Really? Earlier in the thread, InTheAir indicated that the Aiptek GVS requires a 27 mm mount. Can you, he or anyone confirm which lenses fit the GVS and where they can be obtained? I'm looking for a significantly wide angle -- probably a .45x (or maybe even more -- like a 0.4x).

I'm about to buy an Aiptek camera (probably the GVS), and I want to order the "correct" wide angle lens for it. The "wide angle trick," though clever, doesn't appear to have a wide enough view for my taste. From looking at the posts and videos by SG_M3 (comparing the Sunpak .5x wide angle lens and the "wide angle trick"), they both seem to show very similar fields of view. Though these videos look nice, I'm hoping to have an even wider angle view.

Rob
Old 07-20-2009 | 08:57 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Rob,
Here's what I know. Had one of our users take a quick pic of his GVS & A-HD models side by side [GVS is the left side].

As you can see, the lens mount ring is larger on the GVS. Teh frustrating thing is that I can't find a spec on the actual mm size of adaptor that fits the GVS. Still working on that.......
Old 07-20-2009 | 09:01 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by APKhaos
Rob,
Here's what I know. Had one of our users take a quick pic of his GVS & A-HD models side by side [GVS is the left side].

As you can see, the lens mount ring is larger on the GVS. Teh frustrating thing is that I can't find a spec on the actual mm size of adaptor that fits the GVS. Still working on that.......
Someone out there must have a GVS and a ruler?
Old 07-20-2009 | 11:30 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

I've got twelve inches, but I don't use it as a rule [bada boom!]

I don't have a GVS, but you make a good point. I asked the guy who took the pic, but so far no news on the dimensional front.
Old 07-21-2009 | 03:13 AM
webbie
Pro

Originally Posted by mglobe
Someone out there must have a GVS and a ruler?
Outside Diameter: 32mm
Inside Diameter: 28mm
Old 07-23-2009 | 05:27 PM
tentenths
Advanced

I just measured the gvs and the outside is 32mm but there is a bevel so the flat part of the end is 27mm id, 31mm od and I too am looking for the 4.5 wide angle lens.

these aipteks really are a bit ****** but still the best images for the $$$!
Old 07-23-2009 | 05:49 PM
tentenths
Advanced

Originally Posted by SG_M3
Notice I didn't get the lens centered and it is fuzzy on the far left and right.

Here is the same setup, but using the wide angle zoom trick in the GVS.
http://vimeo.com/4387567

Here is the same setup, but with the wide angle correctly attached.
http://vimeo.com/4207309
I'm not questioning your description but wouldn't the lens be fuzzy on either side if it were not centered...but since it is equal in both sides how could that be a centering issue?

the zoom trick videos online seem to be pulled down for some reason..If I recall you needed a certain version of firmware. I think fishy still has all the firmware files...do you know which firmware?

this is very clean!!!...I'm amazed you have the sunpak on the camera. The file is SD. Do you have the hd files or any hd files with this setup that I could download from vimeo or elsewhere?

I have the gvs and the sunpak and digital concepts both were horrible on the edges of the gvs...worse on the gvs than the a-hd due to the change in optics.
Old 07-23-2009 | 05:58 PM
tentenths
Advanced

Originally Posted by InTheAir
FilmTools Gripper 115 mount (I wanted a more robust mount....we'll see how it works out.

thanks for the filmtools info...how is that mount?

did you get a wide angle adaptor?
Old 07-23-2009 | 06:11 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

The film tool stuff is very high quality. I've used this one in the past, mounted to the rear window of my 997:

http://www.filmtools.com/gripper-302...era-mount.html

Once suctioned on, it is not going to come off.
Old 07-23-2009 | 09:41 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

As for the wide-angle, it does give a nice perspective but the one I got takes away from the clarity the standard lens gives. I removed it and it's a noticeable difference so it's staying off.
Old 07-23-2009 | 10:09 PM
tentenths
Advanced

Gary,

I agree in the clarity issue but on my old A-HD+ is was not as bad with the wide and the perspective was worth the loss in image quality.

Here is a comparison with a red line showing where the shmutz ends
A-HD+ with the digital concepts wide angle lens (TOP)
GVS with the same digital concepts wide angle lens (BOTTOM)

By tentenths
Old 07-23-2009 | 10:36 PM
SG_M3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tentenths
I'm not questioning your description but wouldn't the lens be fuzzy on either side if it were not centered...but since it is equal in both sides how could that be a centering issue?

the zoom trick videos online seem to be pulled down for some reason..If I recall you needed a certain version of firmware. I think fishy still has all the firmware files...do you know which firmware?

this is very clean!!!...I'm amazed you have the sunpak on the camera. The file is SD. Do you have the hd files or any hd files with this setup that I could download from vimeo or elsewhere?

I have the gvs and the sunpak and digital concepts both were horrible on the edges of the gvs...worse on the gvs than the a-hd due to the change in optics.
I agree, its not a centering issue. Rather the wide angle is too small for the lens of the camera.

I don't know the firmware, but my camera did it right out of the box.

This is the only HD video i have up. Its hard to hose a race on vimeo in HD, the 1GB file limit sucks.
http://vimeo.com/4367877
Old 07-23-2009 | 10:48 PM
Rob S
Pro

Okay, so where do we stand with the Aiptek GVS and the wide angle possibilities for it? Sounds like:

1) The wide angle lenses that seemed to work with the A-HD+ and other earlier Aiptek cameras don't seem to work so well with the GVS. Those include the Sunpak, the "Digital Optics" lens (whose exact identity and source I can't determine), and the lens from magneticlenses.com. The reason for their lack of proper function may be that they fit sloppily in the GVS lens, which is larger in diameter than the other Aiptek cameras. Might it also be their optics?

2) The "wide angle trick," rumored long ago to be possible with the GVS was just reported (by tentenths) to no longer be working, maybe because of firmware changes in the latest GVS camera. How can firmware to support this "trick" be obtained?

Now back to the original question at the top of this thread, what can a GVS owner do to get a decent wide angle view?

Rob
Old 07-24-2009 | 12:16 AM
tentenths
Advanced

I believe it's firmware 2302 that allows the trick...actually I think it's a bug...and here is how to change it. http://tr.im/tMET

The 2 cameras I got from b&h in june had 2302 on them but I upgraded them because I thought I had the lens for the wide...now I might revisit this.

After more poking around...here is a gvs with a Kenko brand adaptor but not sure of the exact model yet. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtBYT...e=channel_page

I do not see any problems on the edges. So I'm going to explore this more and will post back with my findings.

Quick Reply: Aiptek GVS Wide-Angle Conversion Lens