Sponsored by:

ECR PCA CR/DE May 23-24 -- Roll Call

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 02:11 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by bsr_257
BH told me that NPR will not be on the schedule this year for PCA, might come back next year on a different weekend...

Russ,

I am very sorry to hear about the diagnosis of your car. Wish you the best with whatever you decide. The ex-CJ Wilson car looked great out there. Barry was a student of mine at the March DE, he had a huge smile on his face.
Yes...., I'd add "probably" in front of "not" because I don't think it's definite yet but the race is supposed to be rescheduled to another weekend in the early part of 2010.

In the meantime, we have one race per month down here, beginning in October, all the way through March when the weather is just right down here and the rest of the country is packed up for the winter.

These races, as part of a series, although not solely Porsche specific, DO have a large Porsche participation percentage.

There are also supposed to be track improvements coming very soon by new owners of the road course (drag strip will remain under same owner/operator), including repaving, additions of curbings and a strong possibility of an additional 1.0 mile length to the current configuration.

T
Old 05-28-2009, 02:13 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Russell, that's great news man.

Alot of owners might opt to take the route of total depression but you sir have one awesome attitude about the whole thing.

Good luck,

T
Old 05-28-2009, 02:32 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TRT41
+1 err... +$10,000.00
Hopefully, a sale will fetch enough to cover that, and more... If it goes for anything more than $25K, I figure total cost of ownership over the 7 year period will come out to less than $300/month. Hell, I know people who shell out that much for ugly boxes with no "go" behind the go pedal.

Thanks, T. And someone is going to get a similar attitude by enjoying the **** out of this car.

Old 05-28-2009, 07:32 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

No question that something like an accusump is needed over the long haul for the 996 engine. Of course At least 996 engines are cheaper to replace than air-cooled are to rebuild...

I'm of the opinion that any engine (Porsche, BMW, ...) that gets used on the race track comes in two types. Those that have grenaded, and those that will.
Old 05-30-2009, 12:40 AM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
I'm of the opinion that any non-air cooled, non-factory dry-sump engine (Porsche, BMW, ...) that gets used on the race track comes in two types. Those that have grenaded, and those that will.
FIFY
Old 06-01-2009, 03:17 PM
cs jeff
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Mike, what does an accusump run?
Old 06-01-2009, 08:37 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by cs jeff
Hey Mike, what does an accusump run?
The Accusump itself is around $200. I'm not clear on all the extra jewelry you need to set it up in a 996, but I know there are a number of pieces you'd need to get.. I'm guessing once it's all said and one, it ends up costing ~$1000. If it works, it's a LOT cheaper than a new engine. Don't know anyone personally who has done this mod just yet.
Old 06-02-2009, 02:52 PM
cs jeff
Instructor

I'll talk to Gladwill about it... see what he thinks. After the Cayman oiling issues we went through, then Russell's issue, I'm thinking that I'm living on borrowed time if I keep modding and pushing the car without an oil system upgrade.
Old 06-02-2009, 04:05 PM
bsr_257
Rennlist Member

John installed one in Glenn Smith's SPBOX right before the club race. Parts come out to a little over $1K. Accusump was installed in the rear trunk, manual pull cable to open the valve. Billet adapters are pretty beefy and heavy.

I have the spin-on adapter from LN Engineering, Chris Amond is also getting adapters fabbed up if you're interested.
Old 06-02-2009, 05:09 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'll talk to Gladwill about it... see what he thinks. After the Cayman oiling issues we went through, then Russell's issue, I'm thinking that I'm living on borrowed time if I keep modding and pushing the car without an oil system upgrade.
I'm telling you, it's the Hoosiers that did it. A little grip can be intoxicating. Just don't drink that kool aid until after the engine can handle it.
Old 06-02-2009, 07:31 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Russell, sorry about the car. I've been there, so I know it's no fun.

Maybe I'm pushing my luck now, but all I have is the X51 oil pan. I used to have the deep sump, but I didn't get the extended oil pickup, so I took it off.

I checked some of my old video, and I did not notice any oiling issues at ECR on R6s running 2:04s and 2:05s. Same story for my spot check of MSR 3.1 and TWS. I've also run full-on slicks (Yokohamas, Dunlops, Hoosier) and didn't notice any oiling issue, although I haven't reviewed all the video for that one issue.

Keep in mind my engine is a [relatviely] new 3.4L with all the latest Porsche upgrades and my old engine did grenade.

I'll keep knocking on wood and hope for the best.

-td

Last edited by himself; 06-02-2009 at 07:56 PM.
Old 06-02-2009, 09:36 PM
TRT41
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

John installed one in Glenn Smith's SPBOX right before the club race. Parts come out to a little over $1K. Accusump was installed in the rear trunk, manual pull cable to open the valve. Billet adapters are pretty beefy and heavy.

I have the spin-on adapter from LN Engineering, Chris Amond is also getting adapters fabbed up if you're interested.
Noby- do you have more detail on the LN unit? I am about halfway thru the warrantee on my replacement motor.
Old 06-02-2009, 09:55 PM
bsr_257
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRT41
Noby- do you have more detail on the LN unit? I am about halfway thru the warrantee on my replacement motor.
You have a PM...
Old 06-03-2009, 03:04 AM
cs jeff
Instructor

What is the LN unit? I'm not familiar with it...
Old 06-03-2009, 03:06 AM
cs jeff
Instructor

Originally Posted by ervtx
I'm telling you, it's the Hoosiers that did it. A little grip can be intoxicating. Just don't drink that kool aid until after the engine can handle it.
Russell... do you think there's a big diff in grip between R6s and BFG R1s (what I run)?

Quick Reply: ECR PCA CR/DE May 23-24 -- Roll Call