Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 12:34 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
Yep ! It sure was Mike

Finn it must be pretty difficult for KR to be motivated at the moment , Massa drove very well, surprising too as his last 4 races have been pure crap with both team and car failures . KR is paying the price for laying low last year as he really seems motivated to push this year , unfortunately the team is in complete disarray and KR has nothing to fall back on so this could end his career..
I agree, what a bummer this was. He drove well in last race and has actually been in pretty spirited mood despite the lack of performance from Ferrari.
I can't understand how Ferrari AGAIN screwed up in this way. You can blame the driver a little also but it really is team's responsibility to see who's at the track, where they are in quali standing and what kind of times they're doing, with which tires etc. That's why there are 30 engineers watching those monitors, their job is to get that data, feed it to the race engineers and boss who then advice the driver and really make the decision whether you're "safe" with your current time or not.
OR maybe Schumi was on top of things again...?

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Kimi is acting as if Ferrari has already told him he will not be back next year...and he has Short Timer's Disease.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
He isn't. He hasn't given up at all and today's screwup wasn't his (although he always blames himself rather than team).

He's made a comment of possibly leaving if the new rules (the stupid crap about the budget etc.) pass but that's AFTER the next season. In any case, he'll drive next year.

It must be tough for him though at the moment, finally they have little more speed, he just had a good race last time and now in a track where you can't pass, team fails big time which puts him at the back.
But if any of the current drivers can shake bad stuff off of his shoulders, it's him.

Last edited by DAVISRILEY; 05-09-2009 at 12:38 PM. Reason: language
Old 05-09-2009, 12:53 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Finn !

Sinun betta alkaa käyttää Suomi kirous sanat ...........

Alonso says he did his maximum

By Pablo Elizalde Saturday, May 9th 2009, 15:27 GMT

Fernando Alonso says eighth was the best the best possible result he could have achieved in qualifying for the Spanish Grand Prix.

"I think that we did our maximum this afternoon," said the Renault driver, who reckons his team has closed the gap to the leading squads.

"We were quick and have closed the gap with the leaders, although it was a bit close in Q2 where we were 10th.

"For the race tomorrow we know that the seven cars in front are quicker and the ones behind us are quite heavy on fuel and could jump ahead of us during the pit tops, so it might be difficult to keep our position.

"Nonetheless we need to score points and that will be our aim in tomorrow's race," added the Spaniard.

Team-mate Nelson Piquet had a reasonable day after having struggled in qualifying in the previous races.

The Brazilian will start from 11th position.

"It was another really close session and all the cars were very competitive, especially in Q1," he said. "I was happy with the car as we had improved the balance this morning, but I just missed out on the top ten which is a bit disappointing.

"Still, starting 12th is not too bad and we have been free to choose our fuel load and have a strategy that we hope will help us move forward during the race."
Old 05-09-2009, 02:33 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
Finn !

Sinun betta alkaa käyttää Suomi kirous sanat ........... ...
It seems so! My english isn't PG-13, perkele!
Old 05-09-2009, 02:46 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Ferrari's are back for sure. Massa is the heaviest of the top 6 so if he keeps his head together, and the car stays together, and the crew doesn't screw him, and the strategist doesn't screw him, then he will do ok. LOL

I kind of miss at least one of last years front runner being at the front. I'm pulling for Massa this race. Go Massa!!! I want to see someone (good) with a car as good as Button's to see what he's really got. He's been mostly cake walking it this year.

Good to see the Brauns having to be lighter than people behind them to get in front for once.
Old 05-09-2009, 03:37 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Default Post-qualifying car weights - Spain

Saturday, May 9th 2009, 16:31 GMT

From the 2009 season, the FIA is making public the weights of the cars, with their fuel load included, following Saturday's qualifying session.

Below is the weight of each car following qualifying for the Spanish Grand Prix, sorted by qualifying position.

Pos Driver Team Weight (kg)
1. Jenson Button Brawn Mercedes 646.0
2. Sebastian Vettel RBR Renault 651.5
3. Rubens Barrichello Brawn Mercedes 649.5
4. Felipe Massa Ferrari 655.0
5. Mark Webber RBR Renault 651.5
6. Timo Glock Toyota 646.5
7. Jarno Trulli Toyota 655.5
8. Fernando Alonso Renault 645.0
9. Nico Rosberg Williams Toyota 668.0
10. Robert Kubica BMW Sauber 660.0

11. Kazuki Nakajima Williams Toyota 676.6*
12. Nelson Piquet Renault 677.4*
13. Nick Heidfeld BMW Sauber 676.3*
14. Lewis Hamilton McLaren Mercedes 683.0*
15. Sébastien Buemi STR Ferrari 678.0*
16. Kimi Räikkönen Ferrari 673.0*
17. Sébastien Bourdais STR Ferrari 669.0*
18. Heikki Kovalainen McLaren Mercedes 657.0*
19. Adrian Sutil Force India Mercedes 675.0*
20. Giancarlo Fisichella Force India Mercedes 656.0*

* declared weight
Old 05-09-2009, 03:52 PM
DanR
Drifting

Massa is obviously on light fuel which could be interesting into T1 with KERS
Old 05-09-2009, 04:02 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,540 Likes on 813 Posts

Originally Posted by Flying Finn

He isn't. He hasn't given up at all and today's screwup wasn't his (although he always blames himself rather than team).

He's made a comment of possibly leaving if the new rules (the stupid crap about the budget etc.) pass but that's AFTER the next season. In any case, he'll drive next year.

It must be tough for him though at the moment, finally they have little more speed, he just had a good race last time and now in a track where you can't pass, team fails big time which puts him at the back.
But if any of the current drivers can shake bad stuff off of his shoulders, it's him.

Boy, I don't know. His comments to Peter Windsor left the distinct impression on my wife & me that it was his choice not to go out again in Q1. Who knows?

Old 05-09-2009, 05:25 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Originally Posted by DanR
Massa is obviously on light fuel which could be interesting into T1 with KERS

Did you look at the weights? Massa is the heaviest in the top 6. The Ferrari's are back!!!!
Old 05-09-2009, 07:06 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Boy, I don't know. His comments to Peter Windsor left the distinct impression on my wife & me that it was his choice not to go out again in Q1. Who knows?
I agree his comment sounded like it was his fault but what he meant was that he made couple of mistakes in his first (and only) set of tires so the time he made wasn't good enough. Also, Chris Dyer said it was their fault.

Team should've informed him that he needs to go out again when they realized who was out & what they were doing.
Well, I guess they didn't realize it which makes this so stupid from their part.

When there was 3 minutes left, I looked what was happening and thought it will be VERY close if Kimi makes it to Q2 and that he needs to go out.
I'm just a regular F1 fan with not all the data etc. all the teams have available and if I can figure out these things, Ferrari sure as hell with their engineers should be able to do so. Especially when they already screwed up exactly like this before!
We all understand they want to save soft tires for rest of the sessions & for the race but you need to be able to see what's happening and react accordingly.

It's stunning how big/bad mistakes Ferrari is doing, stunning.
Old 05-09-2009, 07:26 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
I agree his comment sounded like it was his fault but what he meant was that he made couple of mistakes in his first (and only) set of tires so the time he made wasn't good enough. Also, Chris Dyer said it was their fault.

Team should've informed him that he needs to go out again when they realized who was out & what they were doing.
Well, I guess they didn't realize it which makes this so stupid from their part.

When there was 3 minutes left, I looked what was happening and thought it will be VERY close if Kimi makes it to Q2 and that he needs to go out.
I'm just a regular F1 fan with not all the data etc. all the teams have available and if I can figure out these things, Ferrari sure as hell with their engineers should be able to do so. Especially when they already screwed up exactly like this before!
We all understand they want to save soft tires for rest of the sessions & for the race but you need to be able to see what's happening and react accordingly.

It's stunning how big/bad mistakes Ferrari is doing, stunning.
I mean....these guys DO realize that this is Formula One, right?

They DO realize how many WDC's and WCC's they have won, don't they?

Old 05-09-2009, 09:03 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
Nail biter this morning huh Wayne?
Didn't you mean "pillow biter"?
Old 05-09-2009, 09:20 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Didn't you mean "pillow biter"?
EL

OH

EL

Old 05-09-2009, 09:32 PM
993-CT
Instructor

I read a couple of reports that Ferrari let Kimi make the decision. Kimi was upset in Bahrain that the team made him use up a set of softs in Q2 for another run, and he would have liked to save a set for Q3.

This time in Spain, they let him have the choice of using a set of option tires for another run in Q1 or to save it for Q2, and Q3....
Old 05-09-2009, 10:13 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 993-CT
I read a couple of reports that Ferrari let Kimi make the decision. Kimi was upset in Bahrain that the team made him use up a set of softs in Q2 for another run, and he would have liked to save a set for Q3.

This time in Spain, they let him have the choice of using a set of option tires for another run in Q1 or to save it for Q2, and Q3....
If that's the case that was a bad call. If memory serves he was 9th ot 10th with several minutes left and times were dropping fast.
Old 05-09-2009, 10:15 PM
brendo
Three Wheelin'

stunning is the word with ferrari. credit to massa for a nice qual run. it should be a very fun start w KERS.

i got the same impression as VR from kimi's comments. but it seems like the team deferred to the QB to decided to let the game clock run out with no input from the coaching staff...very strange to have seen this happen the first time with massa but disturbing the second time.

interesting to see how very heavy LH is also.

alonso seems to have really wanted to go for pole as light as he is so to start 8th must be a real blow.

Quick Reply: 2009 Spanish GP , News , updates and Results