Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OMP and Racetech seats- how do they compare?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 08:02 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Ritter v3.8
I sat in the RT and loved the feel- if its arguably safer I'll go with it.
Now about belts- recommendations?
Racetech is one of the two companies that have seats that meet the new FIA standards (which aren't officially released yet).

I'm not sure off teh top of my head which ones in the Racetech line meet those standards. At the track right now and I don't have all my info in front of me.
Old 05-10-2009, 01:44 AM
F350Lawman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Huh...interesting, please clarify when you get the chance. i read the specs dated Feb. of this year, what changed?

http://argent.fia.com/web/fia-public...oved_seats.pdf
Old 05-10-2009, 07:30 AM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Lateral impact standards at the hip, shoulder and halo areas.
Old 05-10-2009, 11:08 AM
F350Lawman
Racer

Wonder what the effect will be on the others. Back brace attached to seat back, maybe??? I already see quite a few of the RT (another manuf. as well) seats only pass FIA with the brace. Seems like their 4009 and 4009 W pass without but the carbon fiber and taller ones need the brace.
Old 05-11-2009, 11:46 AM
ApexPerformance
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

When we are at the track, we display a low-end Corbeau, a middle of the line OMP and a Racetech seat. Passers-by would try each seat and definitely prefer the Racetech. They are ergonomically shaped and there's no comparison on comfort in my opinion. However, if you are on a budget, the OMP will do the trick. OMP also makes a good seat.

When we started selling Racetech about 6~ years ago, Racetech told us that during FIA testing, the Recaro headwrap seats were actually breaking in testing. Racetech's did not. Racetech was definitely ahead of the safety game at that time. I think a lot of the seat manufacturers have come up to snuff more recently though.

Toll free: 866-505-2739
Direct: 843-299-0997
EM: info@apexperformance.net
www.apexperformance.net

Save 10% on your next order over $75 on most items- enter Promocode Rennlist on your next order or mention Rennlist during your phone order.

Visit us on Facebook
Old 05-11-2009, 11:55 AM
F350Lawman
Racer

if you are on a budget, the OMP will do the trick. OMP also makes a good seat.

Sort of what I thought, the RT are great seats for sure, the OMPs that I have seen were also very good. The Corbeaus didn't seem to be quite up to those quality standards. I am sure the pass all the specs., but just seemed a little more flimsy??
Old 05-11-2009, 12:01 PM
ApexPerformance
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

Corbeau used to have FIA certification on one or two of their models but no longer offer. Not sure if they don't want to spend the money on testing (which is very expensive) or if there were other issues. Their customer base tends to be the daily driver replacement seats, off road or tuner crowd, not really racing.
Old 05-11-2009, 12:01 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Looking over my notes from talking to the Racetech folks only mentions the high dollar seats being the ones meeting the upcoming FIA standards.

The rumors I've heard for the delay the FIA standards is taht they are waiting for multiple manufacturers come up with a full size range of seats that meet the standard. Right now the options that would meet the standard are too limited in both size as well as manufacturer.
Old 05-11-2009, 10:21 PM
Jerseybean
GT3 Track Junkie
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Which seat compares to the evo 2/3? I have a fat ***.
Old 05-11-2009, 10:57 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by Jerseybean
Which seat compares to the evo 2/3? I have a fat ***.
The Racetech 4009 WHR is the one that is similar. IIRC it is in between the two for width in the butt area.
Old 05-12-2009, 12:03 AM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

Would be interested in more belt pimping. I have Corbeaus now and I've never gone thru the windshield and the central release works well enough but for starters they are only 5 point so . . . tell me how great your 6-pointers are/what do you like about them?

What about the 3" Schroth Hans belts that taper to 2" to fit the Hans yolk better. Seems like a good idea on the one hand but on the other, do you end up with effectively 2" belts as a result.
Old 05-12-2009, 08:38 AM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by Ritter v3.8
Would be interested in more belt pimping. I have Corbeaus now and I've never gone thru the windshield and the central release works well enough but for starters they are only 5 point so . . . tell me how great your 6-pointers are/what do you like about them?

What about the 3" Schroth Hans belts that taper to 2" to fit the Hans yolk better. Seems like a good idea on the one hand but on the other, do you end up with effectively 2" belts as a result.

The 2" belt is a result of people using a HANS but not having correctly mounted shoulder belts. Read the HANS manual or have the builder read it and you will be just fine with 3" belts. I've sat in a number of race cars and with shoulder belts that are mounted correctly they fit over the yoke of the HANS perfectly. No need for the 2" belt.

As for which belt manufacturer. You're gonna find Schroth the overwhelming favorite with the folks here. It's a tossup between them and Willans in my mind. I don't like the release on the Schroth that much. Lots of personal opinion in this area mostly based around the release mechanism and style of sub belt.
Old 05-12-2009, 10:28 AM
CCA
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by ApexPerformance
When we are at the track, we display a low-end Corbeau, a middle of the line OMP and a Racetech seat. Passers-by would try each seat and definitely prefer the Racetech. They are ergonomically shaped and there's no comparison on comfort in my opinion. However, if you are on a budget, the OMP will do the trick. OMP also makes a good seat.
I'll probably be looking at getting a new seat next year. I've looked at a couple Racetechs and they were too long in the thigh and too wide for me. Seems hard to find a seat that will fit a short, fit person (5'5" & 137) in the US. Currently, I have a Sparco Rev, but it's getting old and doesn't have enough lateral support. Any suggestion?
Old 05-12-2009, 11:51 AM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Which Racetechs did you sit in? Were they the cheaper halo seat? By long in the thigh are you meaning that the back of your knees are contacting the seat?

The RT4009 seats (the more commonly seen ones) are some of the narrower seats out there. I also remember the Sparco Circuit being very narrow.

One option you have is to get a seat that is wide and then pour an insert into it get a custom fit. You get a perfect fitting seat that takes care of the size issues.
Old 05-12-2009, 12:55 PM
F350Lawman
Racer

I'll probably be looking at getting a new seat next year. I've looked at a couple Racetechs and they were too long in the thigh and too wide for me. Seems hard to find a seat that will fit a short, fit person (5'5" & 137) in the US. Currently, I have a Sparco Rev, but it's getting old and doesn't have enough lateral support. Any suggestion?

I know what you are talking about. The Racetech seats, wide or regular style are all very long from the back of the seat bottom the front of the seat. You can see this when you look into the car from outside, they actually look pretty long in the seatpan. If you are short or at least short limbed the front of the seat will contact the rear of your leg as your legs are angled down towards the floor/pedals. I noticed it immediately, not sure if it would bother my but there is a good chance it might. it is going to depend on the car, your preference on seat position and body type.

For reference, I am 5'6" and 160lbs. and in good shape. The regular Racetech 4009s fit me otherwise, the 4009Ws are a little loose side to side but I could drive with them and not feel unsafe from a fit standpoint.

Quick Reply: OMP and Racetech seats- how do they compare?