Sponsored by:

The Clash at the Glen!

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 08:01 AM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Fred and Sean, nice race! You too, Charlie and Colin!
Thanks for your professional radio support during our two sprints on Saturday!
Old 06-01-2009, 08:45 AM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian P
Did anybody stay around to get the purple enduro results?
Never mind - results just showed up on mylaps: http://www.mylaps.com/results/showevent.jsp?id=425548
Old 06-01-2009, 10:44 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by FredC
The grid girls... I thought I was dreaming. Now that is talent!
Where you around when the wind assisted the skirts?? I have two sessions scheduled with the chiropractor to fix my over-rotated neck.

VR, good to finally meet you. Sorry that your weekend didn't go as planned.
Old 06-01-2009, 11:17 AM
good hands
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

VR it was great to finally put a face with your legendary posts.

What an incredible weekend. It was great hanging out with so many great people and seeing so many incredible cars. Personally my car ran great all weekend and each day I improved my best time .

Most importantly, I beat Streak all three races

And finally....no more X on my car
Old 06-01-2009, 11:39 AM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by good hands

Most importantly, I beat Streak all three races
Ahem. Do we want to talk about one of those passes? Do we? You know what I'm talking about.

Nice to meet VR and catch up with all the rest, Sean, Gary, Dan, Boston, Vito. Met FredC, Ferrell, Pedronole, NJcroc and many more.

HUGE THANKS to Sean and Gary and Vito for helping me get my high temp issue under control. See you at Summit, bring your tools

My X is gone too That may not be a good thing. I think it may have made a few of you think twice about dive bombing me. Don't want to freak out the rookie :lol:

Though GH beat me legitimately in two races I'm pretty astonished at how much we both improved. With one dry practice session we each got much quicker over the course of the weekend. Just trying to hang with the guy in front of you really makes a difference. It seems that each race weekend I set a personal best lap time so look out!

My finishes got a little better each race. Not much but a little. That enduro was fantastic. There were about two laps where I wasn't racing for position with someone. Just a rush! Really made up for Saturday.

Highlights coming soon.
Old 06-01-2009, 05:59 PM
GT3 Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 84 Posts

It was nice to meet some of the rennlisters this weekend.
All in all I had a good time. I was having some trouble getting up to speed though. (I was running 2 flats consistently but I still need 3-5 seconds to be running in front. Most guys in C4 were running 1:59-2:02's but the fast guys were running 1:56-1:57's. I think one guy had a 1:55.9 in the enduro).This was my first race at the Glen. I did one day of a DE there 2 years ago in a different car.
I finished 5th in class in the 2nd sprint, 8th in the first sprint. All in all, I did about as I expected of myself.
I really need more experience to be a better racer. I try to pull off passes that are lame and give up on passes that I should make. I need more confidence and seat time to get there, but I am not giving up!

I was doing pretty good in the enduro until my incident.
I am not sure what caused it, but I started to spin and then I got T-Boned in the drivers side. It was a hard hit.
From the data it seems that the front left wheel had locked up, but the data shows I was not on the brakes. I am hoping to get it figured out - it was some form of mechanical issue that caused my initial spin. Greg Jones (3G Motorsports) is evaluating the data and will figure it out.
The T-Bone hit caused some damage for sure! My door and fender, front wheel, and all front left suspension components (damper, upright, toe link, etc, etc.) are all toast! Even my rear bumper has some damage.
I really hope I don't get a 13!

Thank you to all from Zone 1 PCA for the event!
Old 06-01-2009, 07:50 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

My excuse (one of them) for not taking 3rd in the Enduro...

http://www.vimeo.com/4952408

Old 06-01-2009, 08:05 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

That's a pretty good excuse, Gary. I saw you pull into the pits with your mirror hanging down. it didn't take long for one of Dan Jacob's guys to get over to you. BTW, it was great to see Dan and his crew go into rock-and-roll mode when they had to replace Mike Iapaluccio's radiator. Everyone was moving with a mission and a purpose.
Old 06-01-2009, 08:16 PM
Mike S.
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.

Wow ....I bet you're the only one to drive the outer loop one handed the whole weekend. Nice meeting you, Sean, Fred, and Mike.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:02 PM
Mike Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

I had a pretty good weekend. Friday morning started out a little dicey though. Wet track, old Toyos, and trying to bed new rotors on a track I'd only DE'd on a few times. I know Summit Point like the back of my hand and know a few 944 tricks I've picked up from my buddies. But at the Glen I was still kinda lost. I qualified well back, almost 10 seconds on the leaders pace.

In the race the next day I finally started to push it a bit and get more comfortable. I picked up a good 4 seconds, but that wasn't really enough to catch the mid-pack guys from my class who had checked out already. I just tried to stay out of the way when the D leaders came through (fred and Sean I guess). Check out the lines of the faster guys and keep the the car off the blue bushes.

For the 2nd race my time put me right among some others in my class at the start. I really had a good race going and was keeping a trio of SP3 cars within striking distance. Finally motored by some SP2 cars I'd been trying to get around while at the same time not messing up their race too much when . . . booom, i get a boost leak Just figures, right when I start to 'get it', the car wants to die. Only my third DNF in about 30 races, so I can't complain too much. I think it is just the BOV.

It was really nice meeting a few new guys and seeing all the impressive machines. The paddock looked more like a Rolex race to me than PCA lol.
I can't wait to come back next year.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:34 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.

That's a scream! Good for you keeping your head together. That could have gone wrong for you and maybe someone else. I probably would have panicked a little
Old 06-01-2009, 09:45 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Streak
That's a scream! Good for you keeping your head together. That could have gone wrong for you and maybe someone else. I probably would have panicked a little
You and Scott ran a great race, was a pleasure running with you. The Glen is pretty special isn't it!
Old 06-01-2009, 10:12 PM
good hands
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Great video Gary. Way to keep your cool. I had a similar experience during the race. I had wood the entire 90 minutes and had to drive one handed to keep it out of the way.
Old 06-01-2009, 10:19 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry to see your race ruined like that, Gary.
Old 06-02-2009, 08:12 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gums
Sorry to see your race ruined like that, Gary.
Thanks Frank, but in reality that didn't ruin it, my loss of composure did. I was set for a 55 minute pit in, and that was just over 30 minutes in I believe (luckily for me). What went through my head was I was going to get DQ'd for coming in too early so I didn't hit my stopwatch and didn't rush my stop. After I found out I was good to go back out I ran the best I did all weekend, lost my "13 bad karma" and ran consistent through traffic or not the rest of the race. Even with the 2 minute loss I came within 13 seconds of third... that mistake will never happen again!

Quick Reply: The Clash at the Glen!