Spec Cayman Racing

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 06:49 PM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Spec Cayman Racing

Guys, hope I'm not breaking any posting rules. I got an email from a friend and fellow Porsche racer. Sounds interesting:

This is just out and to be announced at the HSR Mitty in Atlanta!!!!

Do you love Vintage Racing, but hate the maintenance expense? Now you have an option!!!
There is a new Spec Cayman Race Series starting with in the HSR Group!!!

This is going to be HOT!!!!, There have been 30 cars made available by Porsche, that will be made race ready, there are a few options you can add or change... These are the new Gen. 2 Cayman and Cayman S Cars!!!!

There are some great names involved, Jack Baldwin will be the technical director, and more to follow...

These cars are eligible for both Spec Cayman/ Cayman S in HSR and PCA...

If you are interested in this program and Cars please let me know... I will get you HOOKED UP, for about the same price of a 2.0 911 or less, and without all the extra expense of maintenance.

I can be reached at this email or the cell number below...

Please Pass along to all your racing friends!!!!!

Paul Goyette
904-651-0465
918 Mineral Creek Dr.
Jacksonville, Fl.32225
Old 04-14-2009, 06:49 PM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Rules

Only 2009 Cayman and Cayman”S” cars are eligible. Must compete with full road equipment and, with the
exception of exhaust/emissions, be street legal as designed by the factory, capable of being registered for street use in the condition of the car when presented at scrutineering, and capable of being driven to and from the event. All cars are required to have a Historic paint scheme. [Example; Martini Racing, Rothmans, Gulf, Hippie Car, etc.]

1. Engine

A. As delivered from factory. No modifications after the air filter or before the exhaust headers.
B. Stock, fuel injection must be retained.
C. Exhaust system is free providing the engine meets any local noise limit requirements.
D. Machining for balancing purposes only is allowed.
E. Air conditioning belts, hoses, condensers, compressors may be removed.
F. Radiators are free. Radiators must be installed in the stock location. Anti-freeze is prohibited.
G. Oil coolers are free.
H. Wet sump engine oil pans to prevent oil starvation is permitted.
I. Any dual mass flywheel may be replaced with a single mass, ferrous material (magnetic) flywheel.
J. An underdrive pulley on the crankshaft for the power steering belt may be used.

2. Suspension

A. Suspension pick-up points must remain as stock in location and type.
B. Additional flat metal may be welded to reinforce suspension mounting points or suspension pieces. Added
material may not connect with roll cage components or otherwise provide chassis stiffening beyond the repair
of worn areas.
C. Spacers to adjust the height of the steering rack and pinion are allowed.
D. Shock absorbers are free providing they are of the same type, using the same pick-up points, as supplied
by the factory. Remote reservoir shocks prohibited
E. Any suspension setting not requiring machining or modification of factory parts is allowed.
F. Spring type must remain as supplied by the factory.
G. Spring rates are free.
H. Sway bar sizes and configuration are free except driver-adjustable sway bars are not permitted in the cockpit.
I. Suspension bushing materials are free. Replacement of suspension bushings cannot alter the suspension
geometry of the vehicle.
J. Any bolt-in shock tower brace is allowed.
K. Toe links may be replaced
L. OEM two-piece lower control arms {GT3 Type} are allowed

3. Tires and Wheels

A. Any DOT approved, nationally marketed, generally available, “road race version” tire is allowed.
B. Tread must be a minimum 2/32” over 2/3 of the tire at the start of each session (practice, qualifying, race).
There must be visible tread remaining on the contact surface of the tire at the end of each session.
C. Wheel type, style, and diameter are free, providing wheel meets or exceeds factory safety specifications.
D. One inch wider than originally supplied wheel and any tire combination which fits inside the stock body
without rubbing and without modification exceeding “rolling” or “grinding” of the outer fender lip is allowed.

4. Brakes

A. Brake pad material is free.
B. Brake calipers and rotors must be as supplied by the factory. Cayman “S” brakes allowed on Cayman.
C. Grooving/slotting/cross drilling of rotors is allowed.
D. Ducting of air to rotors is allowed.
E. Removal of dust shields (backing plates) is allowed.
F. Brake fluid is free.
G. Master Cylinders must be as supplied by the factory.
H. Replacement of ABS control unit with any non-programmable unit that cannot help
with traction control is allowed. Associated changes to uprights and wheel sensors are allowed.

5. Transmission

A. Ratios of ring and pinion and individual gear sets must be as supplied by the factory.
B. Transmission coolers are free.
C. Only limited slip differentials (LSD's) derived from a mechanical type that was delivered in a street-legal
Porsche is allowed. No locked differentials will be permitted.
D. Modification to, or substitution of, the shifter mechanism which reduces the range of motion is allowed.

6. Body/Chassis/Interior

A. Removal or substitution of components, other than those specifically indicated below, is not allowed.
B. Chassis/body, with the exception of bumpers and spoilers, must be the same material and configuration as
supplied by the factory. Sheet metal modifications in the spare tire compartment as required
for installation of a fuel cell are allowed.
C. Ducts mounted through the bumper for oil coolers are allowed; headlights must be retained
and body panels cannot be cut.
D. Lexan windshield and rear hatch window of appropriate thickness and quality of construction are allowed.
E. Seats are free providing minimum weight of vehicle is met. Any ballast to meet weight must be placed entirely
in the driving compartment and be securely bolted to the chassis.
F. Steering wheels and shift ***** are free.
G. Spoilers and bumpers/air dams are free providing they do not exceed maximum factory body width by any
amount and maximum factory body length by more than 1 inch.
Turn signals, headlights, parking lights and tail lights must be retained in any bumper
replacement. Rear spoilers incorporated into deck lids are allowed.
H. Modifications to the underside of the vehicle for the purpose of improving aerodynamics are not allowed.
I. Interiors, with the exception of seats (which may be replaced, not removed) and the panels affected by the
installation of the roll bar or roll cage must be as delivered by the factory. Additional gauges may be added but
the stock dash must be retained. Any rear view mirror is allowed.
J. Headliners may be removed for installation of welded-in roll cages.
K. Airbags may be removed.
L. Loose trunk carpet, floor mats, or hatch carpeting may be removed.
Carpet in driver footwell may be removed. Sound-deadening material may
be removed.
M. Spare tires must be secured or removed.
N. Any Porsche factory exterior mirror from a street car is allowed.
Old 04-14-2009, 07:02 PM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Juan:
I will stick my neck out and state the obvious 2009 in HSR? dont get me wrong I think the reptile is a fantastic car and could be developed nicely, just curious about the synergy?
Old 04-14-2009, 07:18 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Ok, I'm not really understanding the posts here. Who is building the race cars? Is Porsche? Or did some shop put a program together with HSR and Porsche agreed to sell 30 cars out of their now vast inventory of unsold cars? If Porsche built the cars (as one could be led to believe by the above statements) then why would you need to install aftermarket ABS system into the car? Wouldn't Porsche have changed the programming to fix the ABS issues?

Sounds interesting, but I'd like to know more about what is behind the series.
Old 04-14-2009, 07:19 PM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

I guess to help them fit, they are requiring historic looking paint schemes. I'm sticking with my 69 S screamer
Old 04-14-2009, 07:21 PM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Geoffrey, I posted both emails I got; I have no further info and share your questions. I'll update with any additional information that comes along.
Old 04-14-2009, 10:13 PM
stuttgart46
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Sounds like a lot of fun. We've been racing in the SPBOX down here in Texas and it's a blast. I can imagine that with the extra HP and torque that the Cayman would be great.
Are they using the S or the regular Cayman?
Old 04-14-2009, 10:56 PM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Stuttgart, from the email; both the Regular and the S.
Old 04-14-2009, 11:39 PM
Steward B.
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From a quick read it would appear that the cars meet PCA club racing stock class rules, other than the rear lexan window. I wonder what the reasoning was behind allowing a lexan rear window but keeping everything else stock?
Old 04-15-2009, 04:14 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,630 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
Ok, I'm not really understanding the posts here. Who is building the race cars? Is Porsche? Or did some shop put a program together with HSR and Porsche agreed to sell 30 cars out of their now vast inventory of unsold cars? If Porsche built the cars (as one could be led to believe by the above statements) then why would you need to install aftermarket ABS system into the car? Wouldn't Porsche have changed the programming to fix the ABS issues?

Sounds interesting, but I'd like to know more about what is behind the series.
i got the same questions as well?
sounds like this car cannot be stripped much, what's target wt?
what class will it run in PCA as HSR may not be available everywhere?
Old 04-15-2009, 04:21 AM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

Now this is getting interesting. I think John is on the hook.
Old 04-15-2009, 04:23 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,630 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by earlyapex
Now this is getting interesting. I think John is on the hook.
no, i am trying to get you and dave to go.
i be interested if it's down to 2500lbs with cage, no fuel no driver.
Old 04-15-2009, 04:25 AM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

I think Dave and/or Jerry will be very interested. I'm sticking with oil cooled 911's. My car is going to be converted to race in PRC/PCA GTS for now.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:16 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

2009 cars as the donor? Holy $$$$$ that makes for an expensive race car.
Old 04-15-2009, 10:14 AM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Did I read right? Spec series with Shocks, springs, sway bars and wheel sizes free? So the sky is the limit on those.

Quick Reply: Spec Cayman Racing