Sponsored by:

HANS device wihtout Harness???

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 04:06 PM
scottjua
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HANS device wihtout Harness???

I hope this doesn't sound like a completely idiotic question.... but: What are everyone's thoughts on using a HANS device (not necessarily that brand, but a head and neck restraint device of some make in general) in a car without a harness. Is a harness necessary to use one effectively?

Having started instructing recently, and pushing myself and my car on track more and more lately, I have been seriously considering safety over other modifications.

As someone sitting in others' cars on the track and not knowing what their level of skill or comfort with high speed track driving is, aside from whether the car is truly prepped for the abuse, I would be lying to say I wasn't worried a little bit about all the possibilities.

So in this case, or even the case that your own car doesn't have a harness and you use the stock 3 point belts, would/do you recommend a HANS device at all. If not, why not?
Old 04-14-2009, 04:10 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

HANS without a 5/6/7 point harness: Not Allowed.

If you have a 3 point (instructing), the R3 device has been discussed here. It is worn, independent of the belts.

If you have any problems finding info on these devices via Search (it is still being worked on unfortunatley), please post or PM me and I'll find the info for you.
Old 04-14-2009, 04:16 PM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

15 pages. Let the flaming begin.

C.
Old 04-14-2009, 04:21 PM
scottjua
Intermediate

I did do a search but didn't come up with what I was looking for unfortunately. So thanks for pointing me toward the R3, I am reading away on that now.
Old 04-14-2009, 04:22 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

No, there will be no flaming.

It is a serious question and there is a tremendous amount of relevant information available in this forum to help him come to an informed decision.
Old 04-14-2009, 04:23 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by scottjua
I did do a search but didn't come up with what I was looking for unfortunately. So thanks for pointing me toward the R3, I am reading away on that now.
If you have any questions, please be sure to post them.
We have several members who regularly drive with the R3 device (which is SFI38.1 approved)
Old 04-14-2009, 04:27 PM
Patrick E
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 35 Posts

I use an R3 for the reasons you stated (sitting in a student's car with a 3 point belt). I like it and find it reasonably comfortable, but have not tested it in a crash (fortunately!). I know there are people on this board who question its effectiveness, however.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:01 PM
Mike Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
HANS without a 5/6/7 point harness: Not Allowed.
Are you sure?

Below is a direct quote from the HANS device website. Look under FAQ.

"Anecdotal reports indicate the HANS Device offers benefits even when worn under a 3-point OEM style of seatbelt. The user must also be wearing a helmet with HANS Device anchors on it."
Old 04-14-2009, 08:09 PM
Weston
Racer

A HANS with a 3-point OEM style seems like it wouldn't really do much. I could see some benefit it it was a 3-point with two shoulder straps (ie like a 5-point without the lap belts), but OEM style doesn't give me a good feeling at all.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:25 PM
va122
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
No, there will be no flaming.

It is a serious question and there is a tremendous amount of relevant information available in this forum to help him come to an informed decision.
excellent point. I have a couple if I may.

I for one wouldn't wear a HANS with a 3pt. It may work, but is it worth your neck? I for one who has wrecked with a HANS and harness can say it works, in fact saved my life.

**** happens on a race track that are beyond your control, oil, coolant spills, jackasses that drop two wheels and try to get back on track etc. I personally owe it to my family to keep myself safe.

Another issue to consider, is that a car without harnesses will probably not have it's airbags disabled. How does that affect the hans' function?

Lastly, the OP wrote that he is starting to instruct, thank you first of all because we can't have too many instructors, but a pearl of wisdom that i was told when I first started and my student was above his head. "as an instructor with a rookie student you have to establish that you are in control of the car and set the expecation that he will follow your directions or he's going back in the pits.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:29 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Mike Buck
Are you sure?
Yes.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:42 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

I tried the hans without the helmet but the quick disconnect nearly tore my ears off...
Old 04-14-2009, 09:44 PM
shustermeister
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I've used the R3 for a few years and though I was fortunate enough not to test it in an accident, I was pleased with its comfort, ease of use, and the ability to wear in cars with standard 3 pt belts (such as when instructing) or with 5/6 pt harnesses.
There are several drag racers that have had pretty horrific accidents while wearing the R3 and praise its abilities. No affiliation other than satisfied customer:
Link: http://www.safetysolutionsracing.com...p=585#more-585
Old 04-14-2009, 09:47 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
Yes.
While we all think that. You really should check out the HANS website.

It says exactly what Mike wrote up there. Sorta scary to think that is on their website.
Old 04-14-2009, 10:01 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Please show me sled test data, not anecdotal information.
Please show me in the official HANS owner's documentation the part where it shows belt geometries with a 3 point harness.

Quick Reply: HANS device wihtout Harness???