Old 04-15-2009, 05:25 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by kurt M

Why do folks knock NASCAR’s safety systems? It went from the back of the pack safety wise to just about the front. Road racing still indorses flexible base mount only spill you out seats even in pro racing venues. I know, lets add some little plastic wings to help retain the 200 pound guy during a 60 G event.
I don't knock it. I just caution people to realize that the NASCAR safety is a system and with that you have to know that picking and choosing parts of the system may not have the same levels of protection without using the whole package.
Old 04-15-2009, 07:02 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ew928
3 point belts lock after the body has traveled/pivoted forward, no?
Inertial locking would hold the 3 point belts at the point of deceleration, which in many cases comes before impact. And many modern cars use a tensioner system that actually sucks the belts in even further in an impact.
Old 04-15-2009, 07:27 PM
racerxlilbro
Intermediate

I haven't posted much here...

My Hans Device came with a set of very specific instructions for belt mounting, and proper use. In my Formula Ford, we had to relocate the shoulder harness mounts closer together to comply with their very specific guidance. I suppose I could see where if you wore the device, and the three point belt in a street car held down the shoulder portion of the device that it could provide some protection - but clearly it is NOT how the device was intended to be used.

My $0.02 is if you are going to spend the $$$ to buy a Hans Device, step up and install proper belts - located correctly.
Old 04-15-2009, 07:58 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by J richard
I tried the hans without the helmet but the quick disconnect nearly tore my ears off...
Old 04-16-2009, 12:09 AM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

I'm not an expert, but -

A basal skull fracture results from the head and torso decelerating at different rates -- basically, a race harness keeps the body secure but the head is allowed to flop forward with enough force to cause the injury.

A 3-point belt works in a totally different way than a race harness. A 3-point system allows all sorts of torso movement. It's kind of hard to imagine how you'd get a basal skull fracture in a car with 3-point belts.
Old 04-17-2009, 12:50 PM
gbaker
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by JackOlsen
I'm not an expert, but -

A basal skull fracture results from the head and torso decelerating at different rates -- basically, a race harness keeps the body secure but the head is allowed to flop forward with enough force to cause the injury.

A 3-point belt works in a totally different way than a race harness. A 3-point system allows all sorts of torso movement. It's kind of hard to imagine how you'd get a basal skull fracture in a car with 3-point belts.
Along the same lines, and as a very general observation, the airbag should address the problem in frontal impacts, and no 3 point combination is going to work in side impacts (especially with a stock seat), so what are we hoping to achieve?

Disabled airbag? Yes. But beyond that....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HANS device wihtout Harness???