Sponsored by:

Visor up? Visor down? Visor off?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009 | 04:05 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pete
I think they still "encourage" you to use one with you don't have a HANS device. No worries.
Yes, they are looking for a "Partially opened visor. They state that a visor (shield) that has been removed or of course closed, is better than partially opened.
Old 03-30-2009 | 04:14 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

FWIW, I doubt that most sunglasses or regular glasses are made from safety type lenses and I wouldn't rely on them for any kind of protection.

I wear glasses and a tinted visor down on sunny days or clear down on shady days. I do crack it a little for some air.
Old 03-30-2009 | 04:31 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

I don't make this **** up, I'm just passing it on in the form of a post in reply to a question. They're your eyes, not mine. Also see post #24.

VR as an instructor for BMWCCA (I don't know if your still one or not), but you should have heard this. I learned of this about a year or two ago.

This was also reiterated in the recent studies conducted by FIA at the BMW Driving Events Congress I attended in New Orleans recently.
I only do BMW instruction at Barber at Road Atlanta, and i never heard this. That said, I leave mine off always except when racing.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 03-30-2009 | 04:34 PM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Visor OPEN, still attached to helmet...been doing it since my first DE.

I tried ONE session with it closed and immediatly went to "visor up" mode, been doing it ever since and I'm on my 5th helmet.

If it gets messy or I have an off I can flick it down real quick...that helps, believe me, I have video of me picking grass and other debris out of my helmet after coming into contact with a tire wall years ago, visor was still up - YECK!!
Old 03-30-2009 | 06:27 PM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Sunglasses on and tinted visor up. Sunglasses provide better optics than the shield so I prefer them but I don't remove the visor completely. That way if I forget to put my sunglasses on when I leave the garage (it's happened before) I can flip the visor down and keep going.
Old 03-30-2009 | 06:37 PM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Yup, what jakermc said...I forgot the sunglasses part.
Old 03-30-2009 | 09:04 PM
VaSteve
Three Wheelin'

Visor removed or open when doing DE, especially in the summer. Sometimes down in the March events but I find it fogs up.

Visor down when on the motorcycle. I can't go a mile without my eye drying out. I wear the same prescription sunglasses for both.

I think they still "encourage" you to use one with you don't have a HANS device. No worries.
I wore my Hans to the local BMW club Driver's School. My instructor also in the PCA didn't care, but they spoke to him about my non-equal protection.
Old 03-30-2009 | 09:30 PM
Tim
Racer

Visor down but not snapped closed..... I keep it a click or two open to allow air movement....

Ever get a bee in your car whilst on the track? I did and it found its way right to my then open visor... I managed to smite the bee....

Then there was a time a student took me off track into the wet primordial ooze that sometimes makes up outside Big Bend at Lime Rock... getting that schiess in you face isn't a good thing...

Put the visor back on, and closed...(well a click or two open)
Old 03-30-2009 | 09:37 PM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

1 click open, all vents on the helmet open. Usually tinted visor as well. I HATE sunglasses when wearing a helmet.
Old 03-30-2009 | 09:37 PM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

Tim:

Outstanding use of SMITE, I find it hard to use outside a sanctuary
Old 03-30-2009 | 09:57 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tim
Visor down but not snapped closed..... I keep it a click or two open to allow air movement....

Ever get a bee in your car whilst on the track? I did and it found its way right to my then open visor... I managed to smite the bee....

Then there was a time a student took me off track into the wet primordial ooze that sometimes makes up outside Big Bend at Lime Rock... getting that schiess in you face isn't a good thing...

Put the visor back on, and closed...(well a click or two open)
I got a bee in my face at Barber last May just after I passed 007DT. Lemme tell you wimpy northerners: you do not want a visor closed or nearly closed in a very hot car with no carpeting in the South anytime between April and October.

Old 03-30-2009 | 10:01 PM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Psh, VR, go ice racing and we'll see who the wimp is
Old 03-30-2009 | 10:03 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MPD47
Psh, VR, go ice racing and we'll see who the wimp is
Oh, I assure you, if it's that cold, I'll use a visor and hot water in my cool shirt!

Old 03-30-2009 | 10:10 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Sunglasses on, visor open a crack for ventilation.

I've had chunks of rubber and other things fly in through the side window and hit me in the visor.
Old 03-30-2009 | 11:10 PM
Tim
Racer

Outstanding use of SMITE
Sometimes we wait years to use certain verbs

I've had chunks of rubber and other things fly in through the side window and hit me in the visor.
that and some of the spooge that grows at LRP... plus stinging insects..

Visor down...

Lemme tell you wimpy northerners: you do not want a visor closed or nearly closed in a very hot car with no carpeting
WTF does carpeting have to do with this?

Quick Reply: Visor up? Visor down? Visor off?