Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Truth in 24 - Audi Le Mans movie on ESPN

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 01:43 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

The intended audience is not the club racing, DE or enthusiast community--it is the interested layperson. I think it did a great job of setting the stage for the race, building suspense and educating the viewer without lecturing. It's a film that I would like Porsche to have done!
Old 03-23-2009, 01:43 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It was pretty damn good. I cannot think of a better way to tell the story.
After all, it is 24 hours......loong time to keep interest, and to keep a story cohesive.

Last 20 minutes were excellent - superb story and turn of events and decisions made.
Old 03-23-2009, 05:38 PM
syncspeedinc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Paul,

I understand your point about wanting to see a whole lap inside the car, there were a lot of things that we did end up shooting during our time with the team that did not make it into the final version of the film, the cut that aired Friday on ESPN was a shorter, edited version of that one.

I believe that our shooting to finished product ratio was at minimum, in the area of 85-1 if not greater, heck we have 25 hours of just "H" as he wore a microphone for us for the entire race. The "TV" cut that was aired on ESPN was not the original format for this project and as such the whole story arc is sort of lost, IMHO, in favor of shorter story pieces that fit into the time between the commercials.

The client, Audi, was very open to a great deal of our crazy filming ideas that they had never let anyone cover before but I can tell you that one idea that was shot down by both Audi and the ACO was the idea of filming from inside one of the R10 at speed. The in car footage that you do see in the film and the Alan speaks over ( done in one take that he did 5 minute before a press conference on race day) was shot on the day before the race, during lunch, from the outside on one of the S4 wagon pace cars. We did get a few controlled flying laps and we were greatful for the cooperation the the ACO showed toward us, they really were very accommodating during our time at the track, but when they say no it is not up for any discussion.

Others have touched on it, but the client, wanted a film done about the teams march to LeMan's, hind sight is 20/20 and this story was a 100,000, to 1 shot, we did after all have to cover all 3 of the team cars, not just the #2 car. The Peugeot had bettered the R10 that whole year in Europe leading up to that race remember and a shoot at the top spot on the podium was not looking great coming into the 24 hrs. As you pointed out, the film is not everyones cup of tea, but we do thank you for watching it.

Last edited by syncspeedinc; 03-23-2009 at 06:04 PM.
Old 03-23-2009, 05:52 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

What I enjoyed best were the HUGE, larger than life figures sorted out to just regular humans who happen to race at a high level.

Excellent job overall !
Old 03-23-2009, 05:54 PM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by syncspeedinc
Hi Paul,

I understand your point about wanting to see a whole lap inside the car, there were a lot of things that we did end up shooting during our time with the team that did not make it into the final version of the film, the cut that aired Friday on ESPN was a shorter, edited version of that one. I believe that our shooting to finished product ratio was at minimum, in the area of 85-1 if not greater, heck we have 25 hours of just "H" as he wore a microphone for us for the entire race. The "TV" cut that was aired on ESPN was not the original format for this project and as such the whole story arc is sort of lost, IMHO, in favor of shorter story pieces that fit into the time between the commercials. The client, Audi, was very open to a great deal of our crazy filming ideas that they had never let anyone cover before but I can tell you that one idea that was shot down by both Audi and the ACO was the idea of filming from inside one of the R10 at speed. The in car footage that you do see in the film and the Alan speaks over ( done in one take that he did 5 minute before a press conference on race day) was shot on the day before the race, during lunch, from the outside on one of the S4 wagon pace cars. We did get a few controlled flying laps and we were greatful for the cooperation the the ACO showed toward us, they really were very accommodating during our time at the track, but when they say no it is not up for any discussion. Others have touched on it, but the client, wanted a film done about the teams march to LeMan's, hind sight is 20/20 and this story was a 100,000, to 1 shot, we did after all have to cover all 3 of the team cars, not just the #2 car. The Peugeot had bettered the R10 that whole year in Europe leading up to that race remember and a shoot at the top spot on the podium was not looking great coming into the 24 hrs. As you pointed out, the film is not everyones cup of tea, but we do thank you for watching it.

Thanks for sharing the insight. Always love learning about the "behind the carmera" side of things.

Something else - Imagine fitting an HD cam to the R10 and what the engineers would have done to you if it fubar'ed the telemetry equip.

Now THERE's a story.

C.
Old 03-23-2009, 05:55 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Arggggg!! I missed it.

Is ESPN or anyone else replaying it???
Old 03-23-2009, 05:57 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Not a problem:

www.truthin24.com
Old 03-23-2009, 05:59 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Hi Paul,

I understand your point about wanting to see a whole lap inside the car, there were a lot of things that we did end up shooting during our time with the team that did not make it into the final version of the film, the cut that aired Friday on ESPN was a shorter, edited version of that one. I believe that our shooting to finished product ratio was at minimum, in the area of 85-1 if not greater, heck we have 25 hours of just "H" as he wore a microphone for us for the entire race. The "TV" cut that was aired on ESPN was not the original format for this project and as such the whole story arc is sort of lost, IMHO, in favor of shorter story pieces that fit into the time between the commercials. The client, Audi, was very open to a great deal of our crazy filming ideas that they had never let anyone cover before but I can tell you that one idea that was shot down by both Audi and the ACO was the idea of filming from inside one of the R10 at speed. The in car footage that you do see in the film and the Alan speaks over ( done in one take that he did 5 minute before a press conference on race day) was shot on the day before the race, during lunch, from the outside on one of the S4 wagon pace cars. We did get a few controlled flying laps and we were greatful for the cooperation the the ACO showed toward us, they really were very accommodating during our time at the track, but when they say no it is not up for any discussion. Others have touched on it, but the client, wanted a film done about the teams march to LeMan's, hind sight is 20/20 and this story was a 100,000, to 1 shot, we did after all have to cover all 3 of the team cars, not just the #2 car. The Peugeot had bettered the R10 that whole year in Europe leading up to that race remember and a shoot at the top spot on the podium was not looking great coming into the 24 hrs. As you pointed out, the film is not everyones cup of tea, but we do thank you for watching it.
What happened to the "Enter" key on your keyboard?
Old 03-23-2009, 06:03 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

When will we be able to order a copy of the full movie from Amazon?
Old 03-23-2009, 06:06 PM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RonCT
When will we be able to order a copy of the full movie from Amazon?
+1 Inquiring minds want to know. IN BLU-RAY too!!!

C.
Old 03-23-2009, 06:14 PM
syncspeedinc
Instructor

Sorry, I wrote the reply as a single thought and just hit send, I went back and added a few breaks.

As far as I know, Audi has no plans to release the film on DVD to the public. That said, it might end up being given to dealers at some point but that is also not confirmed at any level. I guess that if you wanted to see it again you could always ask ESPN to air it again (maybe before the 24hrs this year) or let AudiNA know that there is a demand for it. AudiNA (not Audi Motorsports) were the ones who commissioned the production of this project.
Old 03-23-2009, 06:21 PM
NJcroc
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would purchase this in blu-ray if available. I really enjoyed the film and glad my dvr caught it in full. I wish more teams would do this.

I replayed the race lap description so many times i lost count
Old 03-23-2009, 06:34 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Craig - RennStore.com
Not a problem:

www.truthin24.com
That doesn't really help me. I want to see the whole show.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:17 PM
MTosi
User

Hi Paul,

I understand your point about wanting to see a whole lap inside the car, there were a lot of things that we did end up shooting during our time with the team that did not make it into the final version of the film, the cut that aired Friday on ESPN was a shorter, edited version of that one.

I believe that our shooting to finished product ratio was at minimum, in the area of 85-1 if not greater, heck we have 25 hours of just "H" as he wore a microphone for us for the entire race. The "TV" cut that was aired on ESPN was not the original format for this project and as such the whole story arc is sort of lost, IMHO, in favor of shorter story pieces that fit into the time between the commercials.

The client, Audi, was very open to a great deal of our crazy filming ideas that they had never let anyone cover before but I can tell you that one idea that was shot down by both Audi and the ACO was the idea of filming from inside one of the R10 at speed. The in car footage that you do see in the film and the Alan speaks over ( done in one take that he did 5 minute before a press conference on race day) was shot on the day before the race, during lunch, from the outside on one of the S4 wagon pace cars. We did get a few controlled flying laps and we were greatful for the cooperation the the ACO showed toward us, they really were very accommodating during our time at the track, but when they say no it is not up for any discussion.

Others have touched on it, but the client, wanted a film done about the teams march to LeMan's, hind sight is 20/20 and this story was a 100,000, to 1 shot, we did after all have to cover all 3 of the team cars, not just the #2 car. The Peugeot had bettered the R10 that whole year in Europe leading up to that race remember and a shoot at the top spot on the podium was not looking great coming into the 24 hrs. As you pointed out, the film is not everyones cup of tea, but we do thank you for watching it.
You'll have to forgive my cynicism, I'm just a jaded race fan. It was VERY well done documentary, everyone was just hyping it as more than that so I was slightly disappointed. I have to imagine it did an excellent job appealing to people who don't know about the sport, the intended target audience.

btw. Was not mentioning the fact Porsche won Sebring in a lower class deliberate? For some reason that stuck out to me...
Old 03-23-2009, 07:51 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Yeah Ray I see that now - but at the end of the show 24 there was mention of downlaoding the show from THAT site -

Quick Reply: Truth in 24 - Audi Le Mans movie on ESPN