Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you know an instructor should not be?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 06:59 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Region I used to be a member handed out Instructor evaluation cards to every student, every event. I never heard a word about the feedback, good, bad or indifferent. So, I assume they only give negative feedback and mine was always very positive!

Seriously, I always ask throughout an event what I could do more, do less, do differently ,etc. Most students seem fairly open to telling me.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:03 PM
DogInBlack
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by sleder
I think the PCA national program was originally designed to gain some degree of consistency. Does the program claim to make a instructor a good instructor immediately? No. Experience in the 3 skills Larry spoke is what it takes, and that comes with windshield time and communication skills. When you are recommended to become an instructor you should be run through a region assessment by a few different region instructors. Then invited to the National program if all are in agreement. Then for the first year of instructing, placed into a mentorship program. Someone that you (as a new instructor) can go to for experience to be drawn on. This can also be a gradual level of instruction. 1st year instructor with mentor, only able to instruct initial green students. And have an experienced instructor randomly visit the new green student to evaluate the new instructor. And so on...Just my opinions and thoughts...
Good thoughts +2
Old 02-23-2009, 07:11 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dave morris
That's interesting to read Larry ... leaving aside the fact that I've found Riesentoter's instructor corps one of the best I've seen. But let me ask you this. When you identified instructors with marginal skills, what specifically did you do about it? Did you discuss your concerns with the CI? What did he/you do to follow up?
Dave, I too think that Riesentoter has one of the better instructor corps, but that does not mean that we are without our weaknesses. There is no continuing education for instructors. We should have an instructor weekend so that we all can ride with each other and share what we find. Though I feel that most of our instructors can teach pretty well, I think that there is room for improvement in their driving, and in their understanding of what they are doing/feeling in the car.

As far as identifying and following up on those who I think need improvement, I'd rather not go down that road. Our CI and his designates should be the ones who do that.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 02-23-2009, 07:25 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
I am paying CLOSE attention to all the comments here because my new assignment this year for LSR PCA as an advanced instructor is to work with other instructors to help elevate their driving.
You know what I do. We should talk.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:27 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jim Michaels
The original question actually asked how one identifies an instructor who should not be instructing; presumably so he or she might be replaced by the type of instructor everyone's been trying to describe here.
One that is not safe to others or themselves.
One that is instructing for the wrong reasons.
One that does not play well with others.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:33 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
There is no continuing education for instructors. We should have an instructor weekend so that we all can ride with each other and share what we find.
We have 2 meetings every weekend and some ongoing training.
We use to have a yearly complete single day clinic which we recently started doing again, as well as a much more intense full weekend clinic that some older and ALL newbie potential instructors go thru. Any current instructor is more than welcome, even highly recommended, to go thru the class to help increase the knowledge base of ALL involved.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:46 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by onefastviking
You know what I do. We should talk.
You gonna be at TWS for the club races? If so, let's do so then.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:48 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by smlporsche
Another good point.
Just because someone is a "Nationally Certified Instructor" does not mean they know all there is to know. At least that's the case with me
+1 I did the PCA National school as well as 2 other instructor schools but I know I could still use some mentoring. All of my students have given me good evaluations and all progressed during their events (some more then others) but I still have a lot to learn.

As for passing in corners, I think that instructors should absolutely be comfortable with that.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:48 PM
va122
Drifting

Originally Posted by Brian P
I think it's matter of what's being taught. For instance, I can teach my 8 year old how to swing a tennis racket or a golf club. However, if she got good at it, I'd quickly get her to someone who has more knowledge.

Similarly, if the goal is to teach someone who is a track virgin how to be safe and have fun, then the primary lessons are going to be finding the right line, straight line braking, laying on the power only when the wheel is straight, and flagger awareness. I think that almost anyone with 50+ days (which is still white run group material in some regions) has the necessary skills to teach that.

If the goal is to help a white run group student who is plateauing and help them figure out how to conserve momentum, then yes, you would need someone who can actually drive well within the instructor group.

If the goal is to help a fellow instructor or a racer get better, I would agree that you need an excellent driver (not necessarily better than the one being instructed).

All 3 examples above need someone who can find a way to teach in the manner that student needs to learn in order to effectively communicate the messages.

I rank communication MUCH higher than driving skill for an instructor.
A agree, and that's why I use a pro coach. Also what your reply states is exactly what i meant. communication is paramount.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:51 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
You gonna be at TWS for the club races? If so, let's do so then.
Will be at Cresson, NASA race.
Old 02-23-2009, 08:04 PM
dave morris
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman

As far as identifying and following up on those who I think need improvement, I'd rather not go down that road. Our CI and his designates should be the ones who do that.
OK. I'll ask you next time I see you. And I'm leaving Riesentoter aside. Speaking generally. I have a very high regard for your track/classroom skills. I suspect you WOULD follow up in some way if you saw something that led you to believe one of your fellow instructors' skills were somehow lacking. It would be important to do so. Very important.

As I said before, some form of on-going feedback for instructors is needed IMHO. There isn't any (that I know of). We all (I think) encourage students to communicate with us as someone said earlier (am I talking too much/too little blah blah blah). I don't really think that sort of feedback is meaningful generally. Most, probably all, instructors I know put a great deal of effort into trying to provide quality instruction. But for some reason, evaluations aren't shared with instructors. Maybe some one can help me understand why.
Old 02-23-2009, 08:14 PM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Phokaioglaukos
As Larry noted in another thread, there are some instructors who should not be instructing. What do you see that leads you to that conclusion? No names, please, and let's keep this on a high level intended to assist those who would like to instruct.

For example, must an instructor be able to heel and toe downshift effectively? Must he give pointbys quickly (good track awareness and ettiquette)? Must he be comfortable passing in turns?

How about ability as an instructor (and not just as a driver)? Can you see that on the track?
There's probably going to be a bunch of advices here about skill level, hand signals and all. So I'm not going to comment on that. A couple of other things that I think is worth adding.

Silence is gold?
There are some great speakers in the instructor clan who just looooooves their own voice and have a comment on everything. You can almost dismiss those at once. Listening to the student is a important source, just as noting their driving. I did a few laps with a F1 driver who was completely silent and just made small comments afterward. (No, he was not Finnish). I'm sure I sucked according to his standards, but he focused on the important parts and we made small adjustments.

All levels
Instructors are not perfect and instructions are done on all levels. Even full pros have a deep dialog with their teams. Very important to isolate the problem and solve it.

Using the right tools
Some students have no idea how data acquisition or vehicle dynamics works. Some instructors don't know either. Mismatch there easily becomes a mess.

Bad temper or poor jokes
Some instructors just got bad temper. Others start joking around about sensitive subjects that don't belong there. That's not the same as keeping a good spirit. *ugh* avoid! You're at the track, not the comedy club.

Here's an old thread that contained some valuable points:
https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...me-a-bone.html

My .2c
Old 02-23-2009, 08:21 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Just a note to add.
I feel instructors today have it much harder than when I started since the cars have improved so much over the years. When I started instructing the top car was a mid 80's 911 Turbo, and while it could be a beast it was no where near as capable as a 997 Twin of today especially with all the readily available modifed 996/997 Twins out there. We regularlly see half a dozen 500-750 hp cars at our DE's.
Old 02-23-2009, 08:25 PM
dave morris
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Phokaioglaukos
As Larry noted in another thread, there are some instructors who should not be instructing.
Link? I'd like to read it.
Old 02-23-2009, 08:28 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by onefastviking
Will be at Cresson, NASA race.
OK. Lemme know when I can give you a ring late this week, and a number.

Quick Reply: How do you know an instructor should not be?