Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BEST INSTRUCTING PEARLS?? THROW ME A BONE!

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2006, 09:16 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Question BEST INSTRUCTING PEARLS?? THROW ME A BONE!

Hi mentors. I am going to be instructing for my second time soon! I know it is a learning and growing experience. But..........I would like to learn faster so I can be a more knowledgeable and capable instructor and not disappoint any students.
I was hoping that if some of you would share some of your favorite tips or great pearls of wisdom with me that you have picked up along the way.
That way I could try to start higher on the curve for my students!!!
Or just facts I should know or think about before I go out again.

Maybe stuff you guys didnt know at my level but learned latter??

Even a favorite instructor-student story???

I appreciate you guys sharing instructing tips with me. Any driving or instructing tips would be great!!!!!!

tom
Old 12-24-2006, 09:35 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First, you have to do a few things to establish the w/e.
1) find out who you are dealing with. Doctors and similar professions tend to learn by seeing it on paper not just simply telling them something, so don't be afraid to draw apex points etc on a map as you explain.....then watch them follow your instruction! Your first task is to quickly find out how they learn.....sometimes I ask,(do you learn by audio or visual?), just saves time
2) You MUST establish that YOU are in control and that they do NOTHING until you tell them they can. Again, they tend to take instruction very well when properly directed I tell my students that they can't go past xx gear until I feel they are safe enough to do so. I also tell them to keep the speed under xx until I feel confident about their abilities.
3) I always try to comment on screw ups as they happen. There is so much going on, they'll never remember come the end of the session. Do it quick and then let them move on, don't let them dwell, just make sure they know that something was not right. Get them to work on it next lap (if its a problem, they may have just messed up one time.....let it go).
4) always try to be possitive about their performance, any little thing they do thats right......build on it. Ask them what they want to work on next session........may not be what happens, but tells you were their mind is
5) Make sure they enjoy themselves but not go overboard. Their fun and safety is in your hands, be very careful with it ......and enjoy with them
Old 12-24-2006, 09:43 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Awesome Chris, I'm writing this stuff in my instructor notebook, thanks for all the great tips!!!!!!!!
I never thought of or knew about keeping them limited to a gear or a speed! Does that cause problems for others on the track?
tom
Old 12-24-2006, 09:52 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll give you one when you sign the student off. I always tell them to be careful, back it down a little, and don't try anything that we haven't done in the car already. I inform them that I have a perfect record, and that no student has ever wrecked their car during the weekend when I have signed them off. I end with firmly stating that I do not want them to embarrass me by crashing their car. Though said in jest, they know that I am quite serious about their safety.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 12-24-2006, 09:53 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Some more tidbits:

Even a newbie should be able to get past the basics in a session or two, if not it may be you try something new. If you see they are getting it pretty quick, get them to a point where they feel comfortable going fair fast around the entire track.

One thing I forgot to mention is that, the first session needs to be only memorizing the track layout (while on track). There'll be nothing to teach if they don't remember what comes up next. try to get them to that point as fast as possible. They need to know where it is the track is going as soon as possible to "go" any further in learning
On big tracks, I take it a quarter at a time, let them get good at a piece and as they do, the rest will start coming together for them. I took a student at VIR (17+ turns) from knowing nothing to chasing Vettes by the end of the weekend, so I know it can happen.......its up to both of you.

You won't get everything covered in one w/e (mainly because you are both new to it), so don't either of you get frustrated. Find whatever it is they "get" and work on it.
Old 12-24-2006, 10:29 PM
DanS911
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Tom

Your enthusium and desire to learn will make you a valuable asset to both regions here in S.Fla.
Either that or you are going to be a real pain in the ***........kidding just kidding, I am really looking forward to meeting you at Moroso in a couple of weeks.
You will find the Gold Coast guys to be friendly and very dedicated to the quality of the DE program.

One of my favorite tid bits is "Drive your line".
I explain to my students that, things happen fast on the track...BUT they happen over and over again.
At Moroso a student will be visiting that part of the track again in two minutes or so. Even at Sebring it's about 3 minutes per lap or so for most students.
The point here is if your student really screws something up you cannot dwell on it. The next turn is coming up fast! Say what you have to say, then let him know that we will deal with it again real soon........but get back in the present NOW.
"Drive your line" is what I use to bring a student into the present moment....very important.
Old 12-24-2006, 11:54 PM
trackjunky
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=993inNC]
2) You MUST establish that YOU are in control and that they do NOTHING until you tell them they can. Again, they tend to take instruction very well when properly directed I tell my students that they can't go past xx gear until I feel they are safe enough to do so. I also tell them to keep the speed under xx until I feel confident about their abilities.
QUOTE]

This is the best advise anyone could give you.

Set the upper limits of performance, that way the student will be more focused on technique rather that sheer speed. In my experience, students that are focused on their absolute speed are often the ones where the real "pucker" moments happen.
Old 12-24-2006, 11:58 PM
Tony356993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some things I use:

1. Know the students car/setup - I talk up the car and make them feel good. The student should have fun - that is why they paid for the w/e.
2. Remain positive - I use 2 positive comments for every negative/neutral one
3. I try and email my student before the w/e to get some car and experience details. I find my student very early in the day. Remember back to when you started how important it was to meet your instructor. This removes some of the 1st day jitters. I always show my student where I am parked and I use time before AND after each run to describe concepts in full detail. The more communication with the student, the more I can ascertain what kind of person I am instructing and how they might learn the best. I also review the flags before the 1st run of the w/e and more often if needed.
4. I always use a communicator and use one or two word commands. Brief immediate feedback works good for me.
5. After I have a certain amount of comfort with my student, I spend a lot of time watching their eyes. The car will go where they are looking. Vision is they key to smoothness.
6. I review our drivers manual with certain students and I have an extra copy of speed secrets that I loan out for the w/e.
7. I also use the "no shifting" technique with newbies to help them concentrate on the line.
8. On the warm up lap, I point out each and every flag station. On the cool down lap I ask them details about the flaggers (man/women/hat color/jacket color, etc)
9. I use my laptop and video (no not Larry's for some of my advanced students that may be new to a particular track. It help me review corner numbers or terminology that I will be using on the track.

Now I need to go do my Santa duties
Old 12-25-2006, 03:56 AM
Dr.Porsche
Rennlist Member

$.02

Here are a couple of things I always say;

"There's a cheap part to every straight, and an expensive one!"

Keeping in mind the above...

"It's not how fast you go..it's how fast you stop" Not my quote.

"Worry about your lap times when they increase the prize money"

When I sign people off, I very specifically remind them that 150lbs is getting out of the car and that it will be very apparent at the first turn. The car will be VERY different be ready for it and plan accordingly... ask me how I know.

BTW, I think that you should be applauded for wanting to learn to be a better instructor for your students. I have learned things from reading the posts in your thread, so thanks!
Old 12-25-2006, 10:15 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Don't forget to tell the student that it is a long standing tradition that the student buys lunch for the instructor.
Old 12-25-2006, 12:16 PM
cooleyjb
Documenter of Ineptitude
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Go out with a more advanced instructor in your right seat and be a good student for them.

Originally Posted by tkerrmd
Hi mentors. I am going to be instructing for my second time soon! I know it is a learning and growing experience. But..........I would like to learn faster so I can be a more knowledgeable and capable instructor and not disappoint any students.
I was hoping that if some of you would share some of your favorite tips or great pearls of wisdom with me that you have picked up along the way.
That way I could try to start higher on the curve for my students!!!
Or just facts I should know or think about before I go out again.

Maybe stuff you guys didnt know at my level but learned latter??

Even a favorite instructor-student story???

I appreciate you guys sharing instructing tips with me. Any driving or instructing tips would be great!!!!!!

tom
Old 12-25-2006, 12:24 PM
agio
Racer

Tom, there are so many things to learn (the instructor) in order to teach (the student)...don't be overwelmed and your student won't be either. If you're tense and anxious...so, too, will your student...and, that's not good. If you're too relaxed (disinterested?), then this too is not good.
First order of business for me is to teach ocular or vision driving...show the student in first 2 laps (while you are driving their car) the layout of the surroundings, the track, and the flag stations.
Do not teach "advanced" moves or theories with a novice--you will only overload them.
With a good communicator, you can actually listen to their breathing...yep, if they are hyperventilating--calm them down, bring them in and the both of you will be happier for it.
The warm up lap and the cool down lap are the only true "learning" laps because it's done at reduced speeds, no passing, etc.
When a student wants to go (too) fast given my evaluation of them I, too, will either restrict their gears or their speed or their rpms...whatever works for that particular student. I always tell my quicker students that I do not mind them going fast, BUT it must be under MY terms, not theirs.
Chances are they will not get most of the information you and the class will teach, particularly, in the beginning. Don't dispair and don't get impatient with the student--you remember, it's pretty intimidating to most of us in the beginning.
It's been said before, keep the vocabulary efficient--maybe 10-20 short words or phrases where there are no "gray" areas--crystal clear words are always better. Develop your own consistent set.
After each run, try to spend a few minutes to review...even if you need to come off of the track a few minutes early--it's worth it.
Have fun, be safe and I have a feeliing you'll do just fine.
See you there,
Bob
Old 12-25-2006, 12:44 PM
Glen
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts

I like" What part of slow the F**k down are You struggling with?" Seems to work well with the big on aggression/checkbook, low on talent student.
Old 12-25-2006, 12:52 PM
DanS911
Pro

Originally Posted by Glen
I like" What part of slow the F**k down are You struggling with?" Seems to work well with the big on aggression/checkbook, low on talent student.
Great stuff!!

Thanks again Tom for starting this thread.......I am going to steal these pearls for disscusion at the Instructor School the weekend after next!
Old 12-25-2006, 02:03 PM
Bill N
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dr.Porsche
$.02

Here are a couple of things I always say;

"There's a cheap part to every straight, and an expensive one!"

Keeping in mind the above...

"It's not how fast you go..it's how fast you stop" Not my quote.

"Worry about your lap times when they increase the prize money"

How 'bout, "if you want to go fast, don't hurry."

Quick Reply: BEST INSTRUCTING PEARLS?? THROW ME A BONE!