Sponsored by:

OZ racing wheel option, Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 11:16 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default OZ racing wheel option, Opinions

This is a cross post from the 997-3 forum. Anyone have any experience with this track wheel??
http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...&AID=10398365&
Old 02-16-2009, 08:18 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Frank, for the price those look like a great bargain. I am going to talk to Damon about them this week. I also have a call into my race shop to get input.

I am most curious about the strength of them on the track even though they are wheels from their "racing" line. They are not forged but rather "these are low pressure cast and heat treated for strength"
Old 02-16-2009, 08:55 AM
disasterman
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

They are not in yet and they are intended for racing. I have a set on order, they are expected in April. They are very light, similar to the SSR, maybe less. The OZ web posted weight is so low, I thought it had to be a mistake.
Old 02-16-2009, 09:02 AM
Jerseybean
GT3 Track Junkie
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I noticed a bunch of different style of OZ wheels, I'm concerned that the wheels are great for the road but wont stand up to the track.
Old 02-16-2009, 09:11 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by disasterman
They are not in yet and they are intended for racing. I have a set on order, they are expected in April. They are very light, similar to the SSR, maybe less. The OZ web posted weight is so low, I thought it had to be a mistake.
I thought the same thing. Didn't they post a weight of something like 14 or 15 pounds for the 17's?
Old 02-16-2009, 09:25 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I already posted over in 997 GT3 land on this same post - basically, I like them for the street, not sure about them for the track, especially if "too" light and therefore lacking "meat". I suppose if you can't afford a forged wheel, they might be worth a try. They don't come in a 9" wide front though...
Old 02-16-2009, 11:13 AM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by disasterman
what size and offset did you order??

Originally Posted by LVDell
Frank, for the price those look like a great bargain. I am going to talk to Damon about them this week. I also have a call into my race shop to get input.

I am most curious about the strength of them on the track even though they are wheels from their "racing" line. They are not forged but rather "these are low pressure cast and heat treated for strength"
Dell if you find out anything would you either post or send me an email. if they are on back order, i want to get on it. Somebody has to know somebody about this wheel. I am not an engineer, but the mass of the rim around the hub is a little concerning, and like you said heat treated. What I know about heat treatment of metals for strength is that its ok till it gets hot again. So most interested.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:16 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Will do.
Old 02-16-2009, 12:29 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

While I can't offer first hand experience, Lots of BMW guys have used the OZ Superleggera and Ultraleggera with great success as track wheels. I believe this is simply an evolution of the same technology. They're a great alternative for a buget oriented track wheel with lower weight. I looked to see if they were available in 996 fitment when I first got my car but non were available at the time.

Andy
Old 02-16-2009, 02:12 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Ok I ordered a set so I will be the tester. offsets were 53/68. for the 997-3 does not come in 9x18 only 8.5 x18. so I ordered 8.5 and 12x18. I did not order TPMs but went with steel stems. Black. total with shipping 1831.00. to my front door. I asked when I could expect to get them, he said that he hopes it would be by the end of March but the shipping confirmation states mid April. Just in time for my first event. I will post an update with some pics when the come in. Wow last week a Traqmate, this week rims. I hope I can keep the credit card bill away from the wife, or I will be looking for a place to sleep next.
Old 02-16-2009, 02:36 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Did you call Damon? Is there specific info on sizes available and if offsets are already fixed?
Old 02-16-2009, 02:48 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LVDell
Did you call Damon? Is there specific info on sizes available and if offsets are already fixed?
Sorry Dell, I know I wanted you to get some info for me, but I just pulled the tirgger. I did talk to some of my buddies on the M3 fourm who have been using the OZ rims and think they are good track solution. So Just pulled the trigger anyway.

On to your question, I just talked to Rudy at TireRack and they only had one solution for the 997/6 -3 (narrow body) which is the 18 inch wheel with the 53/68 offsets. I did go to the OZ web site and found some addtional info. http://www.ozracing.com/at-team/whee...ggerita-hlt/en
Old 02-16-2009, 02:55 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Totally understand. I am usually the one pulling the first trigger to test out another wallet drainer for our cars so in this case I step aside

I'll give the guys at Tire Rack a call and see what options they have. So far, from the sounds of it, they should be a hit!
Old 02-16-2009, 08:45 PM
Jerseybean
GT3 Track Junkie
Rennlist Member

I ordered a set as well.
Old 02-16-2009, 10:21 PM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by todinlaw
Ok I ordered a set so I will be the tester. offsets were 53/68. for the 997-3 does not come in 9x18 only 8.5 x18. so I ordered 8.5 and 12x18. I did not order TPMs but went with steel stems. Black. total with shipping 1831.00. to my front door. I asked when I could expect to get them, he said that he hopes it would be by the end of March but the shipping confirmation states mid April. Just in time for my first event. I will post an update with some pics when the come in. Wow last week a Traqmate, this week rims. I hope I can keep the credit card bill away from the wife, or I will be looking for a place to sleep next.
If your GT3 pushes a little bit with the 8.5's in the front (which it may or may not), you might try putting some 5mm spacers on the fronts. Just a suggestion.

Quick Reply: OZ racing wheel option, Opinions