Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

??Thunderhill....most important corner??

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 01:12 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 64 Posts

2 seconds faster than Max the Ax?
Due to the R6?

anyway, it was an older GT3, as the test was in 2005 and the tires were DOT rated. My little schlocky 20 year old, never had a tune up, stock bushings, no alignment in 7 years, 10 year old shocks, used RA1s, and a non-pro driving, was only a second slower? Vs, top pro, best of the best of everything on a factory race car with an interior/AC (think balast weight), better tires, same power, near the same weight. we are talking $100k vs of machinery vs $15k.

04 cup car vs GT3 street. Both near 360rwhp.

Originally Posted by Carnerd
IIRC Van Overbeek can run consistent 1:37's on R6's.
Attached Images  
Old 02-09-2009, 01:29 AM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
You might be surprised that I wasnt when I saw your times at thunderhill. You are a student of the sport and you car is very capable, even if it is "stock". I thought you stuck a 993 motor in there or something. If not, im even more impressed. The spec 911 guys have all replaced all suspension components to make their cars handle a little better

Willow, might have been tough for me to get under 1:30s. but the way my car is set up now, Im sure its a little under that. Its one of those tracks that shows real advantages for those that call it home. (you would own me through 8 unless i had a few years to practice! )

mk
I should have made my 'in stock' joke clearer. I meant 'in stock' at whatever parts supplier I was buying from.

I have a 1993 964 motor (247 hp as it came -- I've added headers), and my suspension's been gone through -- even the stock pieces have generally been chopped, modified and reconfigured.

A driver like Van Overbeek could do better than I do in my own car, I'm sure. But if I want to push my times into the mid-50's at Thunderhill like Tom, I'd need to put the car on a drastic diet or get a built motor in there. Even a 993 motor would be a treat.

I've hit kind of a plateau at 1:29.1 at Willow. So with your recent improvements, you might beat me there, too. Turn 8 is easy as pie in my car -- it's when I talk to my students, since I'm flat all the way from the exit of six and still have plenty of room on the left at 8's exit. My best times at Willow have been when I drop down a tire width front and rear, since the wider sizes need power I can't give them.
Old 02-09-2009, 01:56 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

I thought so!

Hey, mid 1:50s is pretty tough at T-hill. it becomes alot more about handling than the power. I remember POC chris with that blue and yellow 993 powered 911 at 2200lbs. He ripped off a 1:53.xx . it had the best of everything, and had about 330hp.

I would think I could run sub 1:29 now, but Its still tough to run around turn 8, plus the track just EATS tires on my car there. For me, and ive been to a few off beat tracks or configurations and dont do that bad, but at Willow, it seems like it really is an aquired taste! Im actually looking forward to coming back with some group. I cant run POC, because my car is now R4, and needs a fuel cell. Ill have to do a SCCA or touring car Club race.

mk

Originally Posted by JackOlsen
I should have made my 'in stock' joke clearer. I meant 'in stock' at whatever parts supplier I was buying from.

I have a 1993 964 motor (247 hp as it came -- I've added headers), and my suspension's been gone through -- even the stock pieces have generally been chopped, modified and reconfigured.

A driver like Van Overbeek could do better than I do in my own car, I'm sure. But if I want to push my times into the mid-50's at Thunderhill like Tom, I'd need to put the car on a drastic diet or get a built motor in there. Even a 993 motor would be a treat.

I've hit kind of a plateau at 1:29.1 at Willow. So with your recent improvements, you might beat me there, too. Turn 8 is easy as pie in my car -- it's when I talk to my students, since I'm flat all the way from the exit of six and still have plenty of room on the left at 8's exit. My best times at Willow have been when I drop down a tire width front and rear, since the wider sizes need power I can't give them.
Old 02-09-2009, 12:32 PM
Carnerd
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mark kibort
2 seconds faster than Max the Ax?
Due to the R6?
Also, it was in a 7 RS.
Old 02-09-2009, 01:08 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

maybe Max wasnt trying as hard,or is as fast . 1:37 sounds a little more like it. figure, we have had a few of our friends run 1:38s with stock Vipers and R3s, so there is no reason that a pro couldnt run that in a "better " car.

mk

Originally Posted by Carnerd
Also, it was in a 7 RS.

Quick Reply: ??Thunderhill....most important corner??