Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

??Thunderhill....most important corner??

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 01:41 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
Then there is always the 20 year old 928 with the set of headers being the only engine mod running 2:01.6. On used 4 year old toyos to boot

mk
And Bob Devore schooled me on what a 928 could do several years before your 928 was even built. I'm talking what's an enduro pace for our respective cars, in the hands of pretty good drivers. I've got the mid '03 posted from a club race on the RSA done with a car that still had its catalytic converter installed. Lots of us do well on a lap here and there with underdeveloped junk.

The RA1's I was using last summer had a build date of '03.
Old 02-08-2009, 03:11 AM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

I wonder if Pete or anyone on his staff could tell us what tires the GT3RS was on. They sound like street tires, and go away in his third lap -- like street tires.
Old 02-08-2009, 03:13 AM
Carnerd
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JackOlsen
I wonder if Pete or anyone on his staff could tell us what tires the GT3RS was on. They sound like street tires, and go away in his third lap -- like street tires.
I'll try and get that info on Monday.
Old 02-08-2009, 03:15 AM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Then there is always the 20 year old 928 with the set of headers being the only engine mod running 2:01.6. On used 4 year old toyos to boot
That makes my far less powerful 37-year-old car's 2:01.5 (with the crow's nest) very sweet.

Same RA1s and headers.

1:59.9 with the bypass.

Before the new pavement.

Yadda yadda yadda.
Old 02-08-2009, 03:23 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,630 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by Carnerd

Edit: Interesting idea of keeping speed into T3. Maybe I'm not taking it correctly, about a car and half width from the track edge, but every time I try to carry more speed into 3 I get a lot of oversteer on braking...? Suggestions?
if you are braking in T3, you will get lose (oversteer).
brake BEFORE the turn in. then throttle steer as needed to hug inside if you can.

carry a little more speed. it's not a very fas turn. and if you go too fast in T3, you end up farther out from inside and will blow T4.
Old 02-08-2009, 01:48 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

This post and similar ones in the past brings up a thought, wouldn't it be cool if there was a forum (or at least a stuck post) with a list of tracks and everyones thoughts on proper line, things to look out for, things they've learned, as a resource for driving new/away tracks?
Old 02-08-2009, 03:48 PM
Carnerd
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mooty
if you are braking in T3, you will get lose (oversteer).
brake BEFORE the turn in. then throttle steer as needed to hug inside if you can.

carry a little more speed. it's not a very fas turn. and if you go too fast in T3, you end up farther out from inside and will blow T4.
I was getting loose prior to the turn as it's a bit off camber no? When's the next NCRC event? Your BSR going to be ready?
Old 02-08-2009, 08:59 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 64 Posts

37 year old car huh? same original bushings? torsion bar suspension? stock engine?

Hey, you were stroking your car around Thill. I was impressed. I do think you have to think of the advantage of the weight of your car. Absolute weight differences are huge advantage on the track. its the reason that guys like Masuro are able to run their GT3R class in PCA to almost the same level to the cars in GT2R.

The first 7 turns of Thunderhill are really a light cars advantage. You are running a little faster than the Famous Bobcat in his hopped up 2000lb 200rwhp Mazda Rx7. Thill is a great track in that respect. you get a lot of yoyo battles and if it rains, or is damp, all bets are off. the light cars just stomp on everyone. (as well as the lightweight, spec 911s)

By the way, based on my last few outings to thunderhill, i would say the track is about 1 second faster with the new pavement, but not much more. It it is, im not taking advantage of it.

MK

That makes my far less powerful 37-year-old car's 2:01.5 (with the crow's nest) very sweet.

Same RA1s and headers.

1:59.9 with the bypass.

Before the new pavement.

Yadda yadda yadda.
Old 02-08-2009, 09:09 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Was I there? If you are taking about POCs first ever race there, the top guy was 1:53, while the top R5 guys were 2:04. I think they learned the track pretty well, after a few of them got the spins and dirtracking out their system.

Yes, it was with the crows nest too and the old pavement.

mk

Originally Posted by race911
And Bob Devore schooled me on what a 928 could do several years before your 928 was even built. I'm talking what's an enduro pace for our respective cars, in the hands of pretty good drivers. I've got the mid '03 posted from a club race on the RSA done with a car that still had its catalytic converter installed. Lots of us do well on a lap here and there with underdeveloped junk.

The RA1's I was using last summer had a build date of '03.
Old 02-08-2009, 09:10 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

I know max the ax's Laguna GT3 at a 1:39.7 run was on DOT rubber.

mk

Old 02-08-2009, 09:53 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

37 year old car huh? same original bushings? torsion bar suspension? stock engine?
Every piece of my car is stock. Or, at least, it was in stock the day I bought it.

I was having fun with the fact that the difference between our laptimes was so small. Thunderhill is a cool track in that portions of it reward light weight, and then it also has the two down-to-2nd-gear straights, which of course favor the cars with horsepower. I suspect on the same day under the same conditions (especially now), you'd leave me behind after turn 7 and that would be the end of the storyl.

I might still get you at Willow Springs, where there aren't any 2nd-gear holes to come out of. But you'd destroy me at Laguna, and most Buttonwillow configurations, and Sears Point, and so on and so on...

I need to get me a turbocharger.
Old 02-08-2009, 10:05 PM
IcemanG17
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Every piece of my car is stock. Or, at least, it was in stock the day I bought it.

I was having fun with the fact that the difference between our laptimes was so small. Thunderhill is a cool track in that portions of it reward light weight, and then it also has the two down-to-2nd-gear straights, which of course favor the cars with horsepower. I suspect on the same day under the same conditions (especially now), you'd leave me behind after turn 7 and that would be the end of the storyl.

I might still get you at Willow Springs, where there aren't any 2nd-gear holes to come out of. But you'd destroy me at Laguna, and most Buttonwillow configurations, and Sears Point, and so on and so on...

Jack
Try the "youtube" race.....run your video going over the top...against one of Kiborts side by side.....just sync them at the same point...that way you can see where you gain and lose time (in my case its all lose)....its fun to see how different cars with different setups take the same sections of the track.....
Old 02-09-2009, 12:50 AM
Carnerd
Three Wheelin'

Or we could pm here on RL.
Old 02-09-2009, 12:52 AM
Carnerd
Three Wheelin'

I know max the ax's Laguna GT3 at a 1:39.7 run was on DOT rubber.

mk
IIRC Van Overbeek can run consistent 1:37's on R6's.
Old 02-09-2009, 01:06 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

You might be surprised that I wasnt when I saw your times at thunderhill. You are a student of the sport and you car is very capable, even if it is "stock". I thought you stuck a 993 motor in there or something. If not, im even more impressed. The spec 911 guys have all replaced all suspension components to make their cars handle a little better

Willow, might have been tough for me to get under 1:30s. but the way my car is set up now, Im sure its a little under that. Its one of those tracks that shows real advantages for those that call it home. (you would own me through 8 unless i had a few years to practice! )

mk

Quick Reply: ??Thunderhill....most important corner??