Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on allowing M rated helmets in a DE?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 11:22 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The SA requirement would be a bit odd, unless you also required a full SFI Nomex suit, gloves, shoes, underwear, balaclava, etc.

My son has 2 Arai GP5's...one is K rated ($500 IIRC), his newest one is SA rated ($1100 IIRC...bought for his FBMW test).

FWIW, I would feel comfortable wearing a K rated helmet for any DE activity, but would eventually expect fully compliant SA helmet and Nomex undergarments/suit/gloves/shoes at a club racing level.

Just out of curiosity, did PCA ban open faced helmets?
Old 02-02-2009, 11:36 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

As far as I know, there is no open-face ban.

As far as the full Nomex application, we already have that at the club level and I want to keep this at the DE for purpose of discussion.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:41 AM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I always went by the rule that M & K helmets were "bump and skid" whereas the SA was rated for "Bump...whack, bump, bump,bumpity-bump....WHACK."

As in:

Old 02-02-2009, 12:53 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

one idea would be to limit the M helmets for the first 3 events, but then the club would have to keep records of entrants or give everyone a logbook to sign off in tech...
Old 02-02-2009, 01:03 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

In this case, the risk is minimal. All that has been said is that the two standards are different. There has been no factual information that compares the two standards, so, while there are different standards, they may actually protect to a similar level.

How many people at DEs do you see wearing synthetic materials that will melt and stick to your skin? Hmmm, I think that is more a risk than the helmet issue we are talking about. And yes, I'm guilty of this here in the frigid north.
Old 02-02-2009, 01:08 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

So then our goal should be to EDUCATE the rookie as much about safety then as we do about driving on track. If there was a standard delivery of info across the zones then I think would could specify as much (maybe even break down the level of protection by "tier"). It's funny, my old region would ONLY allow cotton clothing (NO SYNTHETICS or BLENDS), and only allow SA helmets so it obviously varies from region to region and even within each zone.

If one thing, at least we are talking about it so the newbie to DE understands how passionate we are about safety and can hopefully make an informed choice about level of protection and level of risk they are willing to take on.
Old 02-02-2009, 01:18 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,610 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by Chads996
I always went by the rule that M & K helmets were "bump and skid" whereas the SA was rated for "Bump...whack, bump, bump,bumpity-bump....WHACK."

As in:

Ay ay ay...

Last edited by Veloce Raptor; 02-20-2009 at 07:12 PM.
Old 02-02-2009, 01:27 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

It's funny, my old region would ONLY allow cotton clothing (NO SYNTHETICS or BLENDS), and only allow SA helmets so it obviously varies from region to region and even within each zone.
I think that is the same with most of the Regions here in the North, however, I've never seen anyone check or be asked to take off their clothes.
Old 02-02-2009, 01:29 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Thanks Geoffrey, that's a visual I can't get out of my head
Old 02-02-2009, 02:45 PM
RDL
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 12 Posts

VR, insert photo of partially clad female student here.
Old 02-02-2009, 03:14 PM
arrivederci
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1,200 Likes on 426 Posts

Originally Posted by Chads996
Perhaps a clarification from the rating body would help this conversation?

Straight off from Snell's Website:

What are the differences between the SA, M and K standards?
The SA standard was designed for competitive auto racing while M standard was for motorcycling and other motorsports. The K standard was released to accommodate helmets used in karting. There are three major differences between them:
The SA standard requires flammability test while the M and K standards do not.
The SA and K standards allow for a narrower visual field than M standard (Some SA and K certified helmets may not be street legal).
The SA and K standards include a rollbar multi impact test while M standard does not.

More info: http://www.smf.org/

I personally think the last sentence is reason enough not to allow M in DE events.
Originally Posted by Geoffrey
In this case, the risk is minimal. All that has been said is that the two standards are different. There has been no factual information that compares the two standards, so, while there are different standards, they may actually protect to a similar level.

How many people at DEs do you see wearing synthetic materials that will melt and stick to your skin? Hmmm, I think that is more a risk than the helmet issue we are talking about. And yes, I'm guilty of this here in the frigid north.
What you're basically considering is the level of club racing preparedness that should be required in DE prepared (or unprepared) cars? Lots of the safety gear that goes in is meant to work together as a system. If you compromise one safety area, you may also be significantly compromising the other safety measures.

Does an SA helmet in a completely stock car really improve things over an M helmet? From a fire protection standpoint, the car is filled with flammable carpets, etc. And there's no roll cage for your helmet to bang against. Taking it a step further, when the roof crushes in, how do the other safety elements protect you (seats, harnesses/belts)? Why not mandate a fire extinguisher while you're at it?

I think education is the better approach vs legislation. Talk to people about consequences and let them make informed decisions. Otherwise, you'll eventually see all the fun/variety regulated out of it (no R tires, street pads only, etc etc).
Old 02-02-2009, 03:24 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by jpinkert
What you're basically considering is the level of club racing preparedness that should be required in DE prepared (or unprepared) cars? Lots of the safety gear that goes in is meant to work together as a system. If you compromise one safety area, you may also be significantly compromising the other safety measures.

Does an SA helmet in a completely stock car really improve things over an M helmet? From a fire protection standpoint, the car is filled with flammable carpets, etc. And there's no roll cage for your helmet to bang against. Taking it a step further, when the roof crushes in, how do the other safety elements protect you (seats, harnesses/belts)? Why not mandate a fire extinguisher while you're at it?

I think education is the better approach vs legislation. Talk to people about consequences and let them make informed decisions. Otherwise, you'll eventually see all the fun/variety regulated out of it (no R tires, street pads only, etc etc).
I think this is the course of action that works best. See my post #36 as this was my thinking as well. Educate them and let them know how all the systems work and then let them make an educated decision based on their needs and level of risk they are willing to take on.
Old 02-02-2009, 03:41 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

I agree, Dell and jp. M helmets are probably perfectly adequate for the level of risk at DE. They are also far less expensive than lower volume SA. Our rules also state natural fiber clothing, but it's getting pretty hard to find it these days and nobody checks. I do not advocate making people buy Nomex for DE for the reasons JP stated.

Best,
Old 02-02-2009, 03:57 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,610 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by RDL
VR, insert photo of partially clad female student here.
W-w-w-w-w-which one?
Old 02-02-2009, 04:19 PM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
But.......should we be the vehicle that allows for such stupidity?
If you voted for Obama, then YES...

Quick Reply: Thoughts on allowing M rated helmets in a DE?