Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on allowing M rated helmets in a DE?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 08:12 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Thoughts on allowing M rated helmets in a DE?

Just had a nice discussion with my regions DE chair about the allowing of both M and SA rated helmets in our regions DE. Personally, I don't agree with it and feel it should be SA rated only. PCA allows for regions to specify since their minimum standards only state a SNELL rated helmet (current and 1 prior).

FYI.....Snell M rated helmets do not have to be tested for fire or rollbar impact like the SA rating requires.

Just wanted to get everyone's thoughts on this in a DE event. Obviously, it is a requirement in club racing so I wanted to keep this discussion to the DE event only.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:33 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

We had Joe from HMS go over helmets in the past and he was a strong advocate for not mixing and matching. M helmets are designed differently and geared toward multiple impacts and abrasion (picture dumping a bike at 65 and tumbling). SA helmets are designed for different types of impacts. I don't remember the differences, but I do remember him saying it was a really bad idea to use M helmets in auto events.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:22 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

What about K rated helmets at a DE?

FWIW, in karting, you are allowed to use an M, K or SA rated helmet.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:23 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

FWIW, a K rated helmet is the same as an SA, just no nomex...they are normally much cheaper.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:28 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Lewis, in that case, now that I think about it, if PCA accepts a Snell rating (non specified) as the min standard then why not a Bicycle rated helmet? I just think the "snell rating" is too broad and for PCA to accept that and then allow the local level to specify within that rating system which one is wreckless. I mean, seriously, Snell certifies bike, karting, moto, etc..
Old 02-02-2009, 09:30 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

PCA also allows BSI standard in addition to Snell. BSI is the FIA standard.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:33 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Bob, in DE correct? I didn't see this in the minimum acceptable standards. The only certification stated is a blanket "Snell" certification.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:38 AM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Perhaps a clarification from the rating body would help this conversation?

Straight off from Snell's Website:

What are the differences between the SA, M and K standards?
The SA standard was designed for competitive auto racing while M standard was for motorcycling and other motorsports. The K standard was released to accommodate helmets used in karting. There are three major differences between them:
The SA standard requires flammability test while the M and K standards do not.
The SA and K standards allow for a narrower visual field than M standard (Some SA and K certified helmets may not be street legal).
The SA and K standards include a rollbar multi impact test while M standard does not.

More info: http://www.smf.org/

I personally think the last sentence is reason enough not to allow M in DE events.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:41 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

So with that said (thanks for posting that by the way Chad ) then the hierarchy for DE's should be SA, K, and then M? It just bothers me that regions are allowing helmets in the track environment without there fire and impact testing for that application.

ps. Lewis, I wasn't trying to be a smart *** in my previous post about bicycle ratings, just making a point since the standard is non specific and Snell does that rating as well.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:47 AM
RDL
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 12 Posts

The SA and K standards include a rollbar multi impact test while M standard does not.
This states that a test is done for this rating. Does anyone know if there is actually a difference in construction?
Old 02-02-2009, 09:50 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by RDL
This states that a test is done for this rating. Does anyone know if there is actually a difference in construction?

From what I understand in discussion with my DE chair and CDI. The shell layer and construction is different. As well, the interior cushion level is different. Think about the impact forces on the head. This is what keeps me coming back to the question of "why allow a helmet for a DIFFERENT application?"
Old 02-02-2009, 09:56 AM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts

Why not allow football helmets? They're designed for major impacts. The M rated helmets are usually less expensive but why use something for a purpose it was not designed?
Old 02-02-2009, 10:02 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,610 Likes on 836 Posts

If you have a $40 head, use a $40 helmet.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:05 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Good point Dave. Which begs the question is that are people trying to use cost as a decision in purchasing a helmet? With all things being equal (taking cost out of the equation) which helmet would people buy? I think that answers the question.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:06 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,610 Likes on 836 Posts

Well....there are some relatively inexpensive S rated helmets out there, and there is nothing wrong with them. Given that, why use a non-S helmet?

Quick Reply: Thoughts on allowing M rated helmets in a DE?