Sponsored by:

Club Racing School: Where?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 11:58 PM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Club Racing School: Where?

Do all PCA Race weekends are de-facto Club Racing Schools too?

Also, can I get a race license that PCA accepts through a Skip Barber 3 day race school?

... just looking for the least effort to get a racing license back after a 13 year racing hiatus.
Old 01-28-2009, 12:06 AM
Jerseybean
GT3 Track Junkie
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why do you need to take a skippy school when you have race experience already, go out and do some track days get back into the swing of things.
Old 01-28-2009, 06:01 AM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jerseybean
why do you need to take a skippy school when you have race experience already, go out and do some track days get back into the swing of things.
I have been plenty active doing track days, so no need to get the rust off. I just need the license, and want to show up at the first PCA and race (legally).
The rules say I either need another's Club license with 6 recent races, or attend PCA Club Racing School. Where does one go to PCA Club Racing School?
Old 01-28-2009, 08:13 AM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Given your previous race experience and that you've been doing DE's, I would suggest that you do the following:

Get a letter from your local club that you've been doing DE's with that speaks to your activity and general level of competency (solo group, etc). Get information on your past license and races to prove you have had a racing license and actually raced. Call Susan Shire at PCA armed with these two things and BEG to be either a rookie status or provisional status. Be nice.... She's the boss!

If that doesn't work, a racing license on it own may not be enoough. She wants to see MyLaps results of actual races.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:06 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,599 Likes on 832 Posts

Originally Posted by PedroNole
Given your previous race experience and that you've been doing DE's, I would suggest that you do the following:

Get a letter from your local club that you've been doing DE's with that speaks to your activity and general level of competency (solo group, etc). Get information on your past license and races to prove you have had a racing license and actually raced. Call Susan Shire at PCA armed with these two things and BEG to be either a rookie status or provisional status. Be nice.... She's the boss!

If that doesn't work, a racing license on it own may not be enoough. She wants to see MyLaps results of actual races.

+1
Old 01-28-2009, 09:22 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by PedroNole

But the rookie candidate school is something that would be no different than if he was awarded rookie status and participated in the 3 practice sessions and practice starts....which should be taken advantage of anyway. THe school doesn't cost extra so I don't see why the need to beg for automatic rookie status. We had a Koni racer in my rookie candidate course that didn't mind being a rookie candidate and participated in all the required activities to "graduate" to rookie. If he doesn't hold a current license with another sanctioning body and has been out of the racing game for some time I don't see how the rookie candidate school requirement is going to be waived.

The rules seem pretty clear:
Attached Images   
Old 01-28-2009, 09:33 AM
Jerseybean
GT3 Track Junkie
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rookie school is an 1hr+ classroom discussion, get a big cup of coffee and hang
Old 01-28-2009, 09:52 AM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

My prior license was not in the US, though it was FiA International, it dates 13 years back (prior to the pervasiveness of the Internet so no proof of online results).

I'm happy to attend the rookie candidate school and do the practice sessions. Where do I do that? Does every PCA race includes those sessions?
Old 01-28-2009, 09:57 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,599 Likes on 832 Posts

You might also look at the BMW Club Racing School. It is an excellent program, and IIRC, PCA recognizes it (please verify this).
Old 01-28-2009, 09:57 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by cgomez
My prior license was not in the US, though it was FiA International, it dates 13 years back (prior to the pervasiveness of the Internet so no proof of online results).

I'm happy to attend the rookie candidate school and do the practice sessions. Where do I do that? Does every PCA race includes those sessions?
Typically the rookie school is:
Thursday Night: Orientation meeting (1-2 hours)
Friday: Rookie school consisting of 3 practice sessions and practice starts + the fun race (about 9 laps +/- IIRC).
Friday Afternoon: Gradution "ceremony" awarding rookie candidates a rookie license

FYI...the sessions are NOT for rookies only. They will fully licensed racers as well practicing in the practice sessions so you learn very quick
Old 01-28-2009, 10:01 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Most if not all PCA club races hold a rookie school. The rookie school is important because it teaches you about the PCA Club Racing philosophy, the 13/13 rules and some examples of what to do and what not to do. Both the provisional and rookie candidates go to the orientation meeting at the track. PCA will not deviate from what is written in the rule book, so when it says you must have documentation of 6 races in 24 months, you'll need to provide that. If it has been 13 years since you've raced, you'll need to apply as a Rookie. The reality is that it isn't a big deal and the orientation meeting will give you some good information about the behaviors PCA expects.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:02 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
FYI...the sessions are NOT for rookies only. They will fully licensed racers as well practicing in the practice sessions so you learn very quick
Correct, some are there because they got a 13 their last race....

CGomez - just go through the standard PCA Licensing procedure and you will be all set.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:04 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Correct, some are there because they got a 13 their last race....
D-oh!
Old 01-28-2009, 12:14 PM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

They don't do a Rookie School at Daytona or Sebring PCA Races. Find a PCA race with a Rookie School and go that way....
Old 01-28-2009, 02:00 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Great info. in this thread.......

CGomez I am pretty sure they will have a Rookie School at LRP in April......

Quick Reply: Club Racing School: Where?