Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A company that can convert my foam tip ear piece transducers to custom ear pieces?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 03:23 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
Default A company that can convert my foam tip ear piece transducers to custom ear pieces?

I have the racing radios foam tip earpiece/transducer that is just not the optimal solution now that I think about it. Sure, it does it's job, but I think the hearing protection is what I really need to be focused on as well.

I stopped by my local audiologist and she quoted me $250 for a set of custom earpieces which seems quite steep. Further, I wouldn't be able to use the transducers that I currently have as the company she uses builds in their own. I just can't see spending $250 on top of the $125 I just spent for the foam tip ones i have that would be "extras".

So.....does anybody know of a company that would take my current earpiece transducers and convert it to custom? The audiologist I just visited said she could made a set of molds for me for only $20 if I could find a company that would take my transducers and molds to build a set.

I have found several of these types of vendors on the internet but I am looking for input from those that have actually done it. TIA!

ps. the pic attached is what I have.
Attached Images  
Old 01-26-2009, 03:34 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Dell, if your audiologist can make you a mold, you can send them to Mike at Racecom of Virginia (757 890-1400) who can have custom ear pieces made for you. I think they were around $150.
Old 01-26-2009, 04:21 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

We got a kit to make your own ear molds from American Race Day (http://www.americanraceday.com/). I can't say how well they work though because we haven't gotten around to setting them up yet.. I think they were around $150.
Old 01-26-2009, 04:35 PM
syncspeedinc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.precisionweb.com/

Precision Labs in FL is who most of us in the racing communications business use for this, all of the molds that I have made I have sent to them. They will be glad to use your current earpiece as they are the ones who made them in the first place .
Old 01-26-2009, 05:13 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Chris, good to see you here!

Any progress on a race radio/Chatterbox interface? I'd sure like to have one mounted to my helmet that will do both jobs.
Old 01-26-2009, 05:20 PM
syncspeedinc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Chris,

I will email you offlist about that, being new here I would not want to violate any advertising rules on this site.
Old 01-26-2009, 05:21 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Thanks all for the great feedback and input! Time to start making some phone calls......

Trending Topics

Old 01-26-2009, 05:35 PM
JPhillips-998
Cows-4-Rent
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...set=ISO-8859-1

I did a group buy a while ago for custom ear mold kits. It went over pretty well and everyone that I heard from was very happy with the result. The only problem was that you had to work fast with the material.

Since then, Cabela's has started selling a similar kit. Mix to parts together, roll the goo around your transducer and insert it into your ear for a custom fit. If you did mess it up, you can easily peel it from your transducers and start again. For $15.00 you can mess up quite a few times before you get to $250!

The instructions were pretty simple. Follow the mix for one ear at a time. Build a "cone" of material around the transducer with about 1/16" of an inch revealed. Insert and press into ear. Hold for 30 seconds. Done.

__USERID__
http://reviews.cabelas.com/8815/2278...t%3DISO-8859-1
Overall Customer Rating:
3.5 out of 5

Read all reviews Write a review

Read Reviews(55) | Write a Review
Have you used this product?

Be the first to write a review!
Product Reviews

Additional Info
• Buyer's Guide
The advantage to custom-molded earplugs is that they are made specifically to fit your ear, giving a soft and lasting contoured fit. More comfortable than regular store-bought earplugs, they tend to be more effective because they precisely conform to your ear. These are waterproof, hypoallergenic, FDA approved and take less than 10 minutes to make. Storage bag included. Made in USA.
Old 01-26-2009, 06:10 PM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One more option. I had molds made by a local audiologist and then had the plugs made by Racing Electronics. http://www.racingelectronics.com/

They did a good job. They were around $150.
Old 01-26-2009, 06:17 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Jim, those look good as well but the problem I have is that I have the transducers already. I am thinking I need to probably just sell mine and start over.
Old 01-26-2009, 06:22 PM
Racerrob
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

[QUOTE=JPhillips-998;6219396]http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...set=ISO-8859-1

I did a group buy a while ago for custom ear mold kits. It went over pretty well and everyone that I heard from was very happy with the result. The only problem was that you had to work fast with the material.

Since then, Cabela's has started selling a similar kit. Mix to parts together, roll the goo around your transducer and insert it into your ear for a custom fit. If you did mess it up, you can easily peel it from your transducers and start again. For $15.00 you can mess up quite a few times before you get to $250!

The instructions were pretty simple. Follow the mix for one ear at a time. Build a "cone" of material around the transducer with about 1/16" of an inch revealed. Insert and press into ear. Hold for 30 seconds. Done.

I was in on that group buy (thanks again!) Those kits were very easy to use and worked great. I am sure that mine are not as pretty as what an audiologist would make but can't beat it for price and function.
Old 01-26-2009, 06:25 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

I think I saw that thread when I was searching around. That seems like a good idea to try out at least. If nothing that is a great way to make a set of ear plugs if you are not going to be using radios.

Just not sure how much I trust myself to make my own
Old 01-26-2009, 06:35 PM
Racerrob
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
I think I saw that thread when I was searching around. That seems like a good idea to try out at least. If nothing that is a great way to make a set of ear plugs if you are not going to be using radios.

Just not sure how much I trust myself to make my own

I only get about as far as my cordless screw driver can take me and I was able to do it Just buy two kits in case of a screw-up. You might even use the extra for a test. I wish I had as on one ear I used a bit too much stuff. The other is just right.
Old 01-26-2009, 06:46 PM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Arkadi
I only get about as far as my cordless screw driver can take me and I was able to do it Just buy two kits in case of a screw-up. You might even use the extra for a test. I wish I had as on one ear I used a bit too much stuff. The other is just right.
I made my own and I thought I did a pretty good job. Then I had some made and the difference was dramatic.

Dell, You might want to buy one of the kits and make your own with the parts you have. If they work you just saved a bunch of money. If they don't you can always have the custom ones made.

An insult to injury story. When I wrecked at the IMSA race at Montreal I also managed to lose my custom plugs. I probably dropped them in the middle of the hairpin when I got out of the car.
Old 01-26-2009, 07:44 PM
dblapex
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

precision labs in Orlando Fl is I have been using, you should be able to walk into your local hearx and tell them you want a pair of challenger II's. They probably dont know they have these to sell but tell them it is in the precision catalog and you will be all set.

Quick Reply: A company that can convert my foam tip ear piece transducers to custom ear pieces?