Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 10:20 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by pmgoodwin
Which bridgestones?

I asked for a tire for both is that many of the instructors have sugested learning on street tires and then move to track tires. The rational being that the street tires being less forgiving will force you to be a better drover.
The RE050A's. They are a standard tire for your car.

Disclaimer: Honestly I've never tracked them, only driven them on the street, where they seem fine. They are a nicely priced tire, and if they have less grip than the PS2's or pZeros, it just means you'll learn car control skills at a slower and safer speed. I never went this route when I started driving DE's, but thinking back on it, I should have.
Old 01-27-2009, 02:34 AM
bruinbro
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

MPSC's here. Overall cost is pretty low as I buy slightly used ones and they wear forever (heat cycle limited) Helps to have a 50-50 balance car (Boxster S) in the rain. Can't imagine a 996-7 TT with them in light drizzle.

Bro
Old 01-27-2009, 09:12 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I'd avoid R-compound tires until you are perhaps in White as you have too much to learn from the feedback that summer tires will give you. Many chapters even ban R-comps from anyone in Green and Yellow. Just no need for that much grip at that level.

The Bridgestone RE050A is perhaps one of the great tire values out there. Porsche N rated, readily available, etc. I've always loved the PS2 as a great all-around tire. I use them as my rain / cold track tire.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:28 AM
Conekiller
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would suggest the Falken Azenis rt-615, I've run them for the past 3 years on my 87 911. They are just as fast as a PS2 or similar tire and they cost a lot less.
Their only dowsides are they are not all that good in the rain, and you have to watch the pressures as once they get too hot they do get slippery. Because my car is light it was never too much of an issue. I think you would be ok with your car if you watch the tire pressure and don't overdrive the tires.
Old 01-27-2009, 11:05 AM
brucegre
Banned

Originally Posted by himself
Not sure if this is an old wives tale or not, but I have been told that if you run your R comps or (yikes) slicks to and from the track - but only short distances and NOT IN THE RAIN/DAMP/MOIST/ETC, be sure you put a little extra air in. With a track alignment, the extra psi should help from cording your track tires due to street driving.

I usually run 44-45 psi in the rear, and 40 in the front.

YMMV.

-td
Not an old wives tale, at track speeds you generate a lot more heat in the tires which causes pressures to rise. Hence, you need to bleed air out to get the correct track pressures. Once the tires cool down, they will be underinflated for the drive home - by 10 psi or more, so you need to add air for the trip. On the GT3s, if we start at street pressures (36-38 psi) we've gotten them up over 50 psi on track in one 20 minute run.

The PS2 is probably the best choice for a dual purpose tire, and while expensive, it will outlast most other street tires when used on the track (as you saw with the Pzero). The Bridgestone is a good choice, I tracked the ones on my Mazdaspeed 6 and they were fine on track, and really good in the rain.

Once you do make the jump to R-compounds (I'd listen to the folks who seem to know you, don't make the jump too soon or you hamper learning), if you have a track setup on the car you'll kill the inside of the tire driving to and from the track, so the second set of wheels is a better option. MPSCs are awesome in the dry, OK in the damp, and water skis in the wet if they haven't been grooved, which can make a run on a wet street pretty exciting.
Old 01-27-2009, 12:02 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

I just backtracked from R-comps to a set of Hankook RS-2 Z212s. It's a pure street tire designed to compete with the Falken Azensis. I had them shaved to 5/8" tread since reading that a full tread tire could overheat and chunk out at the track. It helps that they are also cheap ($99 for 15" + $15 to shave them). I haven't hit the track with them yet.

I have about 20 track days under my belt, including about 8 days with R-compounds. I made this decision in part for economy and simplicity (sold the RA1s with my track wheels), but also to get more experience with car handling at the edge of grip. I'll find out this Spring how much the R-comps were making me fast(er) and hiding my shortcomings.

Old 01-27-2009, 02:59 PM
va122
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

try the yoko neova.
Old 01-29-2009, 10:44 AM
HJK
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hmmmm, ask about tires and see how much uniformity you get in the answers.... hehe.
If you don't want the DOT R's yet, there's tires in between, the earlier (twice) mentioned Falken 615 is a great compromise, they do well enough on the track and can handle the abuse, they're good on the road, not good (but not bad) in the wet. Federal 595 RSR is another decent one. The DOT R's have a treadwear below 110, The 615 Falken I think has 160, the Federal has 130. So if you feel greenish, not afraid of having two sets, but maybe not fully ready for the DOT R's these will work fine.
H
Old 01-30-2009, 08:38 AM
pmgoodwin
Racer

Originally Posted by mglobe
The RE050A's. They are a standard tire for your car.

Disclaimer: Honestly I've never tracked them, only driven them on the street, where they seem fine. They are a nicely priced tire, and if they have less grip than the PS2's or pZeros, it just means you'll learn car control skills at a slower and safer speed. I never went this route when I started driving DE's, but thinking back on it, I should have.
I ended up putting RE050A's on the rear. They come in a 315/30R19 and fit on my Champion 97 wheels. the 960s only go up to 295 and are a little to small for that rim. It didn't suck that they were also 35% off this week.

What really sucked is that since I was swapping wheels I had to to make two trips to drop the wheels off and two trips to get the old ones back home. One of the kids working there comes over and says "man, I'm surprised you putting tires in that car!" I just smiled and pointed to the plastic I put over the seats and then told him about the guy in the 997 forum that posted the picture of the microfiber bonnet on the coffee cups to prevent spilling.
Old 02-11-2009, 04:59 AM
vellek
AutoX

pmgoodwin,

How are the RE050A's working out?

One of my fellow PCA instructors (and former racer and very skilled driver) runs them on the track in his modified Corvette and loves them! And he's quite fast. He cooks with the GT3's.

I'm loioking at track tires for my 997S, and as racer (currently in remission),was myopticaly predisposed to Hoosiers. But there are many events and tracks I'd like to drive that 150 to 300 miles away and a more roadworthy tire would be nice - then I wouldn't have to impose upon and rely on my friends that trailer cars to bring my track wheels.
Old 02-11-2009, 08:05 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Also, consider moving from street tires to "hybrid" R-comps, such as the 19" Pirelli Corsa and Michelin Pilot Sport Cup. Both were OEM on the 997 GT3 and both are suitable for street and DE environments.
Old 02-11-2009, 11:10 AM
boss351
Instructor

I am not sure how relevent this is but a colleague and Honda S2000 fanatic that DE's very regularly is on RE070's. Honda puts them OEM on the S2000 CR-their track orientated club racer, they put the RE050's on the basic S2000. I know my friend is impressed at the dual duty of the RE070's. If they come in the correct sizes for you they may well be worth considerring also.

I just used Yokohama A048 (DOT-R) for the first time this weekend at the track, obviously they served fine there, but what also impressed me with them was all the street driving back and forth, compared to my last set of track tyres, Toyo R888's, they are quieter. I also felt comfortable with them in the rain, though admitedly I didn't have to test them in fury.
Old 02-11-2009, 11:36 AM
pmgoodwin
Racer

Originally Posted by vellek
pmgoodwin,

How are the RE050A's working out?
They seem to be fine. I'm carrying a lot more speed through turns now and they are halding fast. We'll see how long they last.
Old 02-11-2009, 12:49 PM
Carnerd
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by va122
try the yoko neova.
I was just going to say, if you're not at R-Comps yet the AD07's are between the PS2's and R-Comps.
Old 02-11-2009, 12:50 PM
Carnerd
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Nitto NT01's or Toyo R888's.
Dave, how do the two compare? I was thinking about the NT-01's but I hear they are ridiculously heavy?

Quick Reply: Tires for track and street