Sponsored by:

Tires for track and street

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 01:40 PM
pmgoodwin
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tires for track and street

I need to get some new tires for my car and would liek to find a tire that is good for the street and track at a reasonable price (and while I'm at it solve world peace and understand women).

I like the PS2s that my car came with but don't like the price. I just pissed through a set of Pzeros in 6K miles so they are not at the top of my list.

Searching through posts I've seen conflicting opinions on tires. For instance I can get a REALLY good deal on Bridgestone RE960AS. Bridgestone calls them Ultra High Performance. Yet posts here say they shouldn't be tracked.

Any advice is appreciated. I need to get this done this week since my state inspection is due by Sunday.

If you are going to suggest seperate track tires I do have a 2nd set of wheels for that. Right now I'm between a dedicated track car, track tires for this one.

Any opinions on driving (short distances) to the track on racing tires?
Old 01-26-2009, 02:24 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you want to have tires that are good on street AND good on track, you need two set of tires...

I used to run MPSC's on the street as well (they're a great, long lasting R-Compound) but got tired of all the rocks you pick up and I think you use up a little of your heat cycles.

But then when I drove with street tires on the track, they melted in no time...
Old 01-26-2009, 05:00 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,538 Likes on 811 Posts

Nitto NT01's or Toyo R888's.
Old 01-26-2009, 05:02 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by pmgoodwin
Any opinions on driving (short distances) to the track on racing tires?
Not sure if this is an old wives tale or not, but I have been told that if you run your R comps or (yikes) slicks to and from the track - but only short distances and NOT IN THE RAIN/DAMP/MOIST/ETC, be sure you put a little extra air in. With a track alignment, the extra psi should help from cording your track tires due to street driving.

I usually run 44-45 psi in the rear, and 40 in the front.

YMMV.

-td
Old 01-26-2009, 05:20 PM
IcemanG17
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Since you have a spare set of wheels.....MPSC, NTO1, or R888's will all work just fine for installing at home and driving to the track...having a fun day or weekend...drive home then put your street wheels-tires back on...

I tracked my stock 928 with contisport contact II's and they seemed to hold up well from the track time, but I was still learning and not pushing very hard....

I tracked my 08 M3 ONCE...& those 19" PS2's got toasted on the front shoulders seriously quick, but the rears still look fine.....so bad that I won't track those tires again...since I'm sure they would be corded on the outside...

I have R888's on my race 928.....I got a full weekend on them with very little wear...just some minor scuffing as expected..
Old 01-26-2009, 05:23 PM
deep_uv
RIP

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a set of RA1's on my car now and have done at least 6 or so DE's on them and driven on them from Austin to College Station and back twice. They still have plenty of tread on them and I will drive them to San Marcos this weekend for the HHR DE. You should get the same performance from a set of R888's I would think. I don't however drive the car much on a regular basis other than just to take it for a spin here and there, meaning I don't heat cycle them much other than at the track or to and from the track, so it likely will be different if you daily drive them.
Old 01-26-2009, 05:36 PM
boss351
Instructor

R888's are fine too and from the track and at the track obviously, but I'd find their noise a bit annoying on a daily basis.

I am trying out some Yokohama Advan A048's next DE, they might be another option for you.

Edit, and yes, if you have two sets of wheels, perfect, make use of them, get the DOT-R's for the track like the R888's, switch wheels out the day before, bleed your brakes at the same time and switch in your track pads too, really makes sense, at least to me..
Old 01-26-2009, 06:20 PM
DanR
Drifting

before you go and buy dot tires how many track days have you done? Just want ot make sure this is not your second day in green
Old 01-26-2009, 06:27 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by DanR
before you go and buy dot tires how many track days have you done? Just want ot make sure this is not your second day in green
Good point. If you are still green, just run the PS2 or equivalent tire for both street and track for a little while longer...

-td
Old 01-26-2009, 06:31 PM
Racerrob
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I agree, as above, that a tire to do both is like a unicorn, but you could try the Falken Azenis 615's (or whatever the number is these days). I have them on my DD BMW and I like them. I would put them between a fast street tire (PS2, PZero) and a slow track tire (R888, Nitto etc..) The wear has been very good, they are ok in the rain, lots of fun on the exit ramps and very inexpensive. I have only tracked the DD once, but the tires did fine.
Old 01-26-2009, 07:06 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

I agree with Dave's suggestion on R888's or Nittos, but honestly, other than possibly being possibly more cost effective than street tires, I don't think you really need the r-comps yet Paul. I'm driving on the Bridgestones on my 997 daily driver, and they are absolutely fine for the street. I'm sure they will perform ok on the track for a green, blue, or possibly even beginning yellow driver also. I'd be inclined to stick with that for a while, and move to track tires when you get into yellow.

FWIW, while the r-comps can be driven to and from the track, if you get caught in the rain on them, they are not a lot of fun. I drove some distance on MPSC's in the rain once, and I hope to not have to do that again.
Old 01-26-2009, 07:09 PM
pmgoodwin
Racer

Originally Posted by DanR
Great question...

I've done two DE weekends, signed up for one on Sat and wait listed for the LSR DE the following week. Yes, I'm still in green but I should fix that this weekend.

I also taking the drivers ed program at the local track and passed their first (of three) level test last week. I usually drive one or two 25min session every Friday at lunch and I'll go over on some Sunday afternoons if I'm not playing golf.

I figure I've done the equivilant of 5 DE weekends so far.

WARNING: Driving your Porsche at high speeds on a track with right hand turns may be habit forming. Do not try this at home, your milage may vary and your tire life will suck
Old 01-26-2009, 07:15 PM
pmgoodwin
Racer

Originally Posted by mglobe
I agree with Dave's suggestion on R888's or Nittos, but honestly, other than possibly being possibly more cost effective than street tires, I don't think you really need the r-comps yet Paul. I'm driving on the Bridgestones on my 997 daily driver, and they are absolutely fine for the street. I'm sure they will perform ok on the track for a green, blue, or possibly even beginning yellow driver also. I'd be inclined to stick with that for a while, and move to track tires when you get into yellow.
Which bridgestones?

I asked for a tire for both is that many of the instructors have sugested learning on street tires and then move to track tires. The rational being that the street tires being less forgiving will force you to be a better drover.
Old 01-26-2009, 10:06 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any choice you make is a compromise. A good performer on the track will have shortcomings on the street and the other way around. They Make R comps for example the P corsa that comes with the GT3 is a real good street tire and i find it to be a competent track tire, but its expensive. They all are expensive you will spend between 1200 and 2000 for a set and the more you track the less they last. If you are really enjoying the track I think i would spring for an extra set of rims and wheels you will just get more enjoyment out of it. then you can start on that same slippery slope as the rest of us.
Old 01-26-2009, 10:13 PM
acadian_dad
Rennlist Member

Before you go buying DOT's ... suggest you think strongly about doing another season of DE's on a set of street tires. Try them fairly new at the track ... assuming you don't have them shaved or anything or heat cycled ... they'll scare you how squirmy they are and how before they've had some heat cycles they will give away with little to no "audible warning" like you are probably getting used to on your existing tires. Think about going faster on R compounds and that lack of warning when you do make a mistake ... ugh.

I was thinking about getting DOT's last spring after about 4-5 DE's but decided to get new street tires instead - after that experience (as outlined above) I am so glad I got the street tires. That break-in period showed me I had a ton to learn about driving the car and the track better before upgrading the rubber. I hunkered down over the summer and focused on the driving - I learned a lot.

I'll go with DOT's some day but for now, my attitude has morphed to "Why cover up my little mistakes with stickier rubber when I can learn so much on street tires ?"

Of course, your mileage may vary ... (quite literally) ...

Quick Reply: Tires for track and street