Sponsored by:

I FINALLY made it to TWS [plus video]

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 07:14 PM
RyanZ06
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg Smith
What is it with you attacking us when we doubt you the slightest bit? Is name calling and belittling really necessary? I can't believe I'm saying this, but grow up.
Deaf ears my friend.

Ryan, care to post said data?
I dont make any of our data public for our cars, as I run in a very competitive spec series where the slightest edge can put you from the back to the front. I'm sure you understand.
Old 01-28-2009, 07:16 PM
Greg Smith
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by George A
Nope, I haven't raced it in almost two years now. I'm eighter going to cage it and race it or go sbox route and save the 993 for DE's.

G.
SBOX could be interesting if it gets populated enough. The SBOX's will be running with us at the BMW race at MSR in March, if they continue to do that there could be a decent numbers of races then too.
Old 01-28-2009, 07:16 PM
RyanZ06
Racer

Originally Posted by ervtx
Uh, yeah. I knew that. Sarcasm, you know? I also know that they don't throttle steer or trail brake as easily, but damn, you should see how it pulls out the hairpin at MSR 3.1 and T5 at ECR. No advantages whatsoever at TWS, though. Seriously, you should come over to house and try mine some day... PSS9's soft in front and full stiff in the rear, PSM off, spare tire removed from the trunk, and lightweight Volk TE37's, and the beast can actually turn!
Do you know what the compression/rebound curves on off the shelf PSS9s look like? Your settings may not be ideal.
Old 01-28-2009, 07:17 PM
George A
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by RyanZ06
Haha, I'm well aware they are all wheel drive, it's my dad's. I was simply telling my experience. I will probably get behind the wheel of a cup car towards the end of this year in preparation for '10 24h Daytona, if all the stars align.
Now cup cars are a beast. Big difference between a true race car and a street car prepped for the track.

Good luck. Lots of people here with cup car experience. You might want to poke around and ask some questions.

G.
Old 01-28-2009, 07:18 PM
RyanZ06
Racer

Nope, I haven't raced it in almost two years now. I'm eighter going to cage it and race it or go sbox route and save the 993 for DE's.

G.
Do you have the black 993 with black CCW's? I may have seen you at H2R before. I cant tell if the wheels in your sig are CCW classics or not. Was your car ever prepared by Moorespeed?
Old 01-28-2009, 07:21 PM
RyanZ06
Racer

Now cup cars are a beast. Big difference between a true race car and a street car prepped for the track.

Good luck. Lots of people here with cup car experience. You might want to poke around and ask some questions.

G.
Very true... And i've been talking with several cup car owners and drivers for a while. Dreaming for a second would put me behind the wheel of a TRG or Farnbacher GT car for a season
Old 01-28-2009, 07:22 PM
George A
Three Wheelin'

Do you have the black 993 with black CCW's? I may have seen you at H2R before. I cant tell if the wheels in your sig are CCW classics or not. Was your car ever prepared by Moorespeed?
No, no, no, no, no........

Those are Forgelines on my car. That guy is old and slow. I'm young... I usually lap him once or twice per session. Nice guy but shouldn't really be instructing.

G.
Old 01-28-2009, 07:23 PM
RyanZ06
Racer

No, no, no, no, no........

Those are Forgelines on my car. That guy is old and slow. I'm young... I usually lap him once or twice per session. Nice guy but shouldn't really be instructing.

G.
point taken.
Old 01-28-2009, 07:44 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hey, that sounds good. You live right by me, don't you? You should try mine, it's like a giant gokart. Maybe at the next DE we'll swap for a session. Even as much of a pig as I think mine is, it's still just such a hoot to throw around the track.

G.
Deal! Yeah, I think we're w/in a a few miles if not less.

Do you know what the compression/rebound curves on off the shelf PSS9s look like? Your settings may not be ideal.
No, do you?

The PSS9's for a C4 are not the same as those for a C2, and I don't know how many 996 C4's are out there running PSS9's, much less on the same tracks that I frequent. I would not imagine that there is much independent empirical data out there to use, so it's just a matter of trial and error.

They only have one adjustment (soft/stiff in 10 increments). You can play with front/rear differences, but that's it. I generally leave the rear at full stiff no matter the track, and only adjust the front - a little softer for ECR and MSR (5 and 4) and a notch stiffer for TWS (primarily to account for initial turn-in at T1.

Are you suggesting that you know the "ideal" settings for my car at TWS?
Old 01-28-2009, 07:58 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,722 Likes on 885 Posts

Whatever you wish to believe, I couldn't really care. VR is always right.
Well, gosh, Greg....how would YOU interpret your own words?

"Somehow I doubt that you've sat down with someone and reviewed data about specific t5 lines, but since we're online it's not like we can tell if you're telling the truth or not. Just sounds like a BS answer if you ask me..."
Old 01-28-2009, 08:00 PM
George A
Three Wheelin'

Damn it, I got it wrong. My car weighs 3,214 lbs. Even more than I thought the pig weighed!!!!

I'm just not good at math.

G.
Old 01-28-2009, 08:05 PM
RyanZ06
Racer

Damn it, I got it wrong. My car weighs 3,214 lbs. Even more than I thought the pig weighed!!!!

G.
My STi is a solid 3300 w/o driver
Old 01-28-2009, 08:06 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

G.
Aren't you the CFO of your company?
Old 01-28-2009, 08:08 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
Priceless:........................................................................ .......

A driver coach with no data aq

Now he's buddies with cervelli's data

Still scratching your students ...............

Damn dave , no good rerference, huh !

A pro with no Go

Dude, lay off the sterno. You are incoherent.
Old 01-28-2009, 08:09 PM
RyanZ06
Racer

Originally Posted by ervtx
Deal! Yeah, I think we're w/in a a few miles if not less.

No, do you?

The PSS9's for a C4 are not the same as those for a C2, and I don't know how many 996 C4's are out there running PSS9's, much less on the same tracks that I frequent. I would not imagine that there is much independent empirical data out there to use, so it's just a matter of trial and error.

They only have one adjustment (soft/stiff in 10 increments). You can play with front/rear differences, but that's it. I generally leave the rear at full stiff no matter the track, and only adjust the front - a little softer for ECR and MSR (5 and 4) and a notch stiffer for TWS (primarily to account for initial turn-in at T1.

Are you suggesting that you know the "ideal" settings for my car at TWS?
I never said I knew what the ideal settings were for your car, but if you look at the curves for those shocks, as well as most single adjustable "off the shelf" shocks in a similar price range, they are similar... They tend to only adjust rebound settings, with minimal compression change. Effectively, you're running maximum rebound setting in the rear, and little to know rebound in the front, which can lead to some "other side of the curve" handling characteristics. Having said that, have you tried more of a traditional setting front and rear? I would "guess" with quite a bit of certainty that you are outside the window of those shock's capability when running full stiff and full soft.

Quick Reply: I FINALLY made it to TWS [plus video]