You GOTTA see this...

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 10:05 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
For everyone who is conscientious enough to maintain their cars on their own, there are plenty out there who are not, hence the need for annual State Inspections.
What really pisses me off is the states like Florida... where you have to pass emissions every year, but that's it, no safety inspections!
Old 01-25-2009, 10:22 AM
GaryAZ
Rennlist Member

Received 277 Likes on 180 Posts

Have you put a micrometer on there? Rotor might still be good. I know how you shop guys operate. Pads are definitely shot though.

Wonder what it was like to be behind him when caliper and pad parts were being ejected?
Old 01-25-2009, 11:44 AM
ew928
Owns the Streets
Needs Camber
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can you 'retread' brake rotors?
The hat is still good. Brim is a little thin.

Tho if he wore through the vanes, those rotors would turn into non-vented lightweight rotors.
Old 01-26-2009, 02:02 PM
wlittleman
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I own a 15 yo beater 1.6L Nissan Sentra that I drove in college. It is only used to haul my road bike and mt bike on trips nowadays. It has 214k miles on the odo, and I'm still on the original rotors. Although the rotor thickness is < min spec, I visually inspect it regularly for cracks and thickness. It is such a light car, and I drive like a grandma on public roads.

Besides the fluids, belts, pads, tires, battery, lights, an alternator and a water pump, everything is still original. I'm amazed that the shocks still dampen, and I still get 32mph in mixed driving. Don't ask my why I just don't throw away this car...because it really should just go to the junk yard. But, secretly, I want to see 300,000 miles on this car. Since it's not being driven daily anymore, the paint will probably peal before the engine/chassis gives out.

Luckily I wrench my own cars, and am really detail oriented, so I usually notice handling problems from too low/high air pressure, poor alignment, and engine weakness due to old spark plugs or old engine oil. I can't say the same about the general population, so is it not surprising that there are cars out there with rotors worn to the veins and engine oil that has seen 50,000+ miles.

Quick Reply: You GOTTA see this...