Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rolex 24 at Daytona (spoiler, don't open if you don't want to know)

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 05:28 PM
shustermeister
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Rolex 24 at Daytona (spoiler, don't open if you don't want to know)

Congratulations Brumos Porsche and TRG for your DP and GT wins in the grueling Rolex 24 at Daytona, and thank you to all the competitors, sponsors and organizers for putting on such a great show!
Very enjoyable race with closely matched cars - the last hour or so with the 2 Brumos Porsches, the Lexus, and the Ford DP cars was fantastic racing!
It's hard to believe that after a whole 24 hours, it could be so close at the end!
I actually got to watch most of this race on Speed HD and my wife even got into it for the last hour or so...
Old 01-25-2009, 05:31 PM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Congratulations to the #33 GT car with a couple of PCA drivers coupled with the Porsche factor drivers.
Old 01-25-2009, 05:50 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 197 Posts

+1 on the GT Ohio boys from Wright' s shop in Cinci.
Old 01-25-2009, 06:08 PM
lipamax
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

I was hoping to see Brumo's 1,2, but...
Well done!
Old 01-25-2009, 06:08 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Was BJ Zacharias from Wright's?
Old 01-25-2009, 06:46 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow what a race after 24hrs just seconds apart. That was fun to watch. Super job well done.
Old 01-25-2009, 07:24 PM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 69 Posts

Loved JPM's whining after the race. Nothing like not being a graceful looser!

Mike
Old 01-25-2009, 07:42 PM
fjpdds
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 14 Posts

Awesome Brumos, TRG and Porsche! A nail biting finish in DP, great show.
David Donahue finished so strong. Great to see Brumos get the win.
A couple sore losers stood out. Montoya and Fogarty. Did they want engine tests when they dominated with so many wins?
Old 01-25-2009, 09:30 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Always good to see my old coach, Lally, up there on the GT top step, too.
Old 01-25-2009, 09:45 PM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bgiere
Was BJ Zacharias from Wright's?
Yes...he's a great guy...part of the Wright group. I've known John, BJ and the guys for a number of years...great folks.

Cheers,

Rick
Old 01-26-2009, 01:13 AM
Meister Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, way to go Brumos and TRG.

Really happy to see Hurley Haywood get a great team victory, and how cool for David Donahue to kind of win one for his dad.

Amazing that Brumos could stay up front so consistently over 24 hours, good stuff!
Old 01-26-2009, 05:14 AM
Nifty
Intermediate

I just got back. This was the first 24 I've stayed at til the end. So many things haven't changed. Parking was a mess around noon inside. I was there around 7 but I heard people complaining. No one knew when the shuttle actually started running. I had three Daytona people send me back and forth to the pickup point - one hand didn't know what the other was doing. It took about an hour to get out of the outside parking lot this afternoon. I dont know how hard it is to move traffic but they had one exit open and it was this free for all then this stupid u-turn to get to the main drag.

Interesting to note, the whole time I went by the garage area there was something about the Brumos team that looked different this time. I watched the 59 car team practice a driver switch in the garage for about 20 minutes - stop watch and all.

I don't know how Speed covered it, but there was some grumbling Saturday night about the Ford motors. I was eating in the Fanzone thing and two guys sitting next to me were complaining about it. I forget which team they were with.

I had my scanner set to the top 4 cars for the last 4 hours. I believe it was Borcheller who called in and said he was having cramps in his legs and neck and couldn't keep food down. He stayed out there for a second stint around noon.

Before David got in, the #58 crew gave Garcia an option for tires, he declined. They sounded like they wanted to get 4 on only if they could turn them under 11 seconds, but then thought only two were possible. After switching to David, the spotter was calling everything for an hour straight. There were also warning lights going off the last hour in the car. The crew just told him to keep going and ignore them.

There were some comical moments over the radio the night before from some of the other teams. Something happened with one of the Ferraris and during a caution, a driver made some comment about how "delicate" they were to put back together and they'd be under yellow for a while.
Old 01-26-2009, 11:43 AM
RSchoeni
Instructor

Porsche was domininant in the Rolex for sure, and didn't do too badly in the Koni either. Interesting how Penske came into the series, recently and was able to put a car on the front row and be competitive in the race. Whereas Brumos has been battling at this for years for a win. Whatever happened to Cheever Racing?
Old 01-26-2009, 12:04 PM
MarkM
Burning Brakes

Penske does have a great organization, and I am sure it is much bigger and has more resources than Brumos does.

However, I think the biggest reason they we in front too was the formula changes that made all the Porsches more competitive this year.
Old 01-26-2009, 02:16 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by fjpdds
Awesome Brumos, TRG and Porsche! A nail biting finish in DP, great show.
David Donahue finished so strong. Great to see Brumos get the win.
A couple sore losers stood out. Montoya and Fogarty. Did they want engine tests when they dominated with so many wins?
+1,000,000

Quick Reply: Rolex 24 at Daytona (spoiler, don't open if you don't want to know)