Sponsored by:

968 or 944T Engine????

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 04:53 PM
DrZ1
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 968 or 944T Engine????

I have an 86 944T w/ LSD, that I purchased for the intent of a DE car. I am starting to lean to the idea of putting a 968 engine into the track car with my 5 spd LSD. I would like all pros and cons. I am not planning on racing, at the present, just doing track days and DE events. I have participated in one PCA DE in my 86 944 T street car, and may use it at times as well. I also have limiteed mechanical experience, and it seems the NA cars are easier to work on then the Turbo another reason I am leaning this way.

Thanks
Steve
Old 01-23-2009, 05:03 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 65 Posts

Put the turbo on the 968 engine!

mk

Originally Posted by DrZ1
I have an 86 944T w/ LSD, that I purchased for the intent of a DE car. I am starting to lean to the idea of putting a 968 engine into the track car with my 5 spd LSD. I would like all pros and cons. I am not planning on racing, at the present, just doing track days and DE events. I have participated in one PCA DE in my 86 944 T street car, and may use it at times as well. I also have limiteed mechanical experience, and it seems the NA cars are easier to work on then the Turbo another reason I am leaning this way.

Thanks
Steve
Old 01-23-2009, 05:15 PM
87_944s
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
Put the turbo on the 968 engine!

mk
Don't give him any more ideas lol

Just DE the street car for a while Steveo

Eon S.
Old 01-23-2009, 05:40 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 87_944s
Don't give him any more ideas lol

Just DE the street car for a while Steveo

Eon S.
+1.
Old 01-23-2009, 05:44 PM
DrZ1
Burning Brakes

Thats the plan, but i need to get moving one way or the other, Or my car will take up room at you Dads sho, and I think he has his plate full enough without me wanting to get it back on the road ASAP.

BTW good luck next weekend, I wish I could go and hang, I didnt realize it was my daughters birthday weekend. I will be ready for the PCA event at NPR. After TWS, let me know if back to TWS or Barber.

Steve
Old 01-23-2009, 05:46 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

When you do decide 'the time is right', I would go with the 968 engine.
Old 01-23-2009, 05:47 PM
Chris Alvarado
Instructor

I would just keep it the way it is. You'll be incurring costs just swapping it out when all your 951 needs is regular maintenance. There are quite a few people who track (DE) their daily drivers with no mods at all.
Old 01-23-2009, 06:00 PM
DanR
Drifting

if the 944t engine is currently working what benefit would you get by replacing the engine? Is this performance driven, maintenance driven? I would keep the 944 t engine and spend some money (if needed) making sure it is well maintanied.

If it was a question of you had no engine and had to decide, depends on what your end aims are. A 968 motor will make a good track car and should be reliable. Like wise a well maintained 944t should also be reliable (probably a little less so than the 968) but has the ability to make bigger power more cheaply.

I know you say its not to race, but I have learnt that things you do which seem like a good idea can cost $ to reverse if you ever do decide to race, so having half an eye on that idea is not a bad thing when making decisions!
Old 01-23-2009, 06:34 PM
DrZ1
Burning Brakes

Well, for the whole story. The 944T in my avitar was bought on the assumption that I would run it and keep my street car off the track. Since it is my daily driver, out side of my truck. I drive about 80 miles a day so I like to put the miles on the 944T. The car was supposed to need to finsh timing belt install, but there seemed alot wrong, So I decided to go through the engine and replace all wearable items. So at the time the engine is out and I aming waiting on pistons to come back from Swain. At the last track day, my HG let go, which I knew might be a problem since I had been chasing a coolant leak, and I was not real confident in my A/F w/ Guru chips. with the head off I saw that I have some significant gouges in my bores, So It might not be long. But I did not want rebuild the engine at this time. So the Engine that I am currently building can be used for either. I am thinking to have the bottom end ready when I need to replace the engine in the DD. So I am free to go either way. I am currently changing the chips and installing a datalogger and a few other things to dial in the new Turbo in the street car. I will still be able to use it as well, but primarlily I want to use the track car. And am looking for a easy to drive fun car, not a high horse power car for now.

Sorry for the narritive
Steve

Last edited by DrZ1; 01-24-2009 at 01:56 AM.
Old 01-23-2009, 10:55 PM
hp18racer
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

If you put a 968 motor in it you will spend more time driving.

Quick Reply: 968 or 944T Engine????