Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 10:59 PM
2bridges
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nevada open road race events suspended - How disappointing

http://www.openroadracing.com/

See the bottom of the page.

How disappointing, I was very much looking forward to taking in one of the Nevada events (Bonneville 100 most likely) this year.

I ran the Sandhills open road challenge last year and would highly recommend it www.sorcrace.com I am already pre-registered for 2009 SORC, but conflicts will almost certainly force my cancellation.

Looking for a new interesting ORR event - Anybody experienced with any other interesting open road race events?
Old 01-12-2009, 11:01 PM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To all of our Members and Friends:

This post carries a huge measure of sadness as we must regretfully announce the indefinite suspension of all of our Open Road Race events. The combination of increasing event costs, poor attendance, and the National economic situation are the main factors in our decision. We have agonized over this decision at great length, and we wish the situation were different. But, as they say, "it is what it is."

Our plan is not to dissolve MKM or just simply "fade away." We plan to use 2009 to research other ORR possible venues and other forms of racing, such as Mile Shootout events, and hopefully return with something new and exciting. We plan to attend the Big Bend Open Road Race and the Sandhills Open Road Challenge this year, and we hope to see many of you at these venues.

As you are reading this, we are closing our office for the Holiday season, and we will be back in the office after January 2, 2009. Our phones and emails will remain active as we clear up all of the administrative details left over from the 2008 season, and we certainly want to hear from you from time to time. The Message Board will be locked from new postings and will eventually be shut down to save costs, although you will still be able to read archived posts until that occurs. The website will remain active and accessible to all past race results and information.

Lifetime members who paid for their membership in 2007 and 2008 will be offered a prorated refund by mail. One thing we have never done is keep monies we haven't earned and this will be no exception. If races are resumed in 2010, anyone who accepts a refund will lose his lifetime number and must pay annual registration fees or re-purchase their number.

Like they were to our predecessor, Rodger Ward, these races are and always were labors of love for us, and you racers who participated in them we lovingly call our dearest friends. Most of you have heard me say that Marsha and I have made more friends "that we would cross the country for in times of need" in the past 10 years than in the other 40-odd years of our lives, and we still mean that sincerely.

So, until we meet again, race safe.

Mike, Keith, and Marsha
From their forum, that's really to bad I was hoping to get out there for these in the next year or two
Old 01-12-2009, 11:08 PM
2bridges
Drifting

I am truly bummed out about this. The Bonneville 100 event was on my list of must attend events, and this was looking to be the year. I will definitely be making a few calls tomorrow to express interest in 2010 events and pre-registration if offered.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:09 AM
IcemanG17
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

There are quite a few 928 open road racers who will have to drive quite a bit further now to get some ORR action...... the two silver state events...then after that your driving to Texas or further
Old 01-13-2009, 12:16 AM
Porsche917K
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts

This doesn't effect the Silver State Classic does it?
Old 01-13-2009, 02:08 AM
KS-CS
Racer

Originally Posted by 2bridges
. . . Looking for a new interesting ORR event - Anybody experienced with any other interesting open road race events?
Are you familiar with the Big Bend Open Road Race in Texas?

Doing that one, or Sand Hills, is on my "bucket list".
Old 01-14-2009, 10:04 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,663 Likes on 857 Posts

It will be interesting to see if the Texas race goes on as planned.
Old 01-14-2009, 12:55 PM
2bridges
Drifting

Originally Posted by KS-CS
Are you familiar with the Big Bend Open Road Race in Texas?

Doing that one, or Sand Hills, is on my "bucket list".
Definitely get in on the SandHills event sometime..... it is something else, a unique experience. They have these mini events before the actual ORR, 1/2 mile grudge drags, standing 1/2mile and standing 1 mile events also, what a kick in the *** and very very reasonable costs.

Been looking at Big Bend - however requires competition license it seems.
I have not checked into the license criteria but would be something i would have to do to participate in that event.

Also have been looking at the May Silver state event, but first time entrants limited to 110 class and 124mph tech limit ............ and must "qualify" at Las Vegas itnl raceway the Thursday before the event. The qualifying deal sounds col anyway, just because I would love to make some laps at a track I have never been to........ hoping maybe I can make this event work out

Quick Reply: Nevada open road race events suspended - How disappointing