Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Liens filed by contractors against PBIR.

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 09:17 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts
Default Liens filed by contractors against PBIR.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/busines...112moroso.html

This could be bad, I hope they find a solution to finish home track.

I have been grasping at concept of the 100K value of the membership they are trying to sell. After all, if you sign up with any organization you can drive there without membership.

With this kind of news, potential members will be more reluctent to participate

The track is nice, but zero facilities, except portable toilets and a big tent. I was very surprised when I got there. My course of action would be first to build the clubhouse facilities etc and later build the new track if there was not enough money for both.

Old 01-13-2009, 09:52 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

If the owners of the track say (as they did in the article) that contracts were signed and amounts were agreed upon but the contractors say that the owners don't want to pay it then where does the truth reside? Sounds to me cut and dry if there were contracts and agreed upon. Question is were they FP or T&M contracts? The contractors want what agreed upon yet the track owners say they are over charging?
Old 01-13-2009, 09:54 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The www.floridawintertour.com was supposed to have the second round in February at Moroso/PBIR.
They were forced to move the race dates to Homestead instead, citing construction in the paddock isn't complete to allow for sufficient room for all the teams/trailers/tents.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:15 AM
dave morris
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Hope they get it resolved. What's out there now is an enormous improvement over the old Moroso.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:37 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Hope they get it resolved. What's out there now is an enormous improvement over the old Moroso.
+1, but will it be enough?
Old 01-13-2009, 11:46 AM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

Actually, I thought the meeting tent (with a/c) and the bathrooms (trailers w/ a/c) were a big improvement.

the track surface is much better.... (pit lane and grid are tight) (where would the grid be ?)

but there is not a lot of room for rigs, for a big event.

-no way a scca national event could hold the trailers (yet).
(OK, I'm wrong! Forgot about the grass outside the main gate...)

Last edited by mrbill_fl; 01-13-2009 at 01:17 PM.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:20 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 709 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by mrbillfll
Actually, I thought the meeting tent (with a/c) and the bathrooms (trailers w/ a/c) were a big improvement.

the track surface is much better.... (pit lane and grid are tight) (where would the grid be ?)

but there is not a lot of room for rigs, for a big event.

-no way a scca national event could hold the trailers (yet).

There was an SCCA Double National race Jan 3/5. I was there. The track does need more parking. I paddocked outside in the grass, my choice, as the inside paved Paddock space, Drag Staging Lane area, was very crowded and once you were in you were stuck until after the event was over. Race gas was $9.00 a gallon, which was down from $10.00 a gallon 2 weeks before. The track cleanup crews needs mucho training as it took forever to get ready for the next race group. I also remember the 2008 Double National @ Homestead last January and there was not adequate parking either. Gotta Love Sebring.

Peter
Old 01-13-2009, 12:29 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/busines...112moroso.html
The track is nice, but zero facilities, except portable toilets and a big tent.
$100K with crappy facilities..... Sounds like Limerock South!!
Old 01-13-2009, 12:42 PM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No affiliation but to me "as is today" is better than 'what was", AND it seems that a significant effort is being made to accomodate guests whilst construction is occuring. A good example is the fuel tanker on site serving drivers instead of having nothing until the gas docks are constructed. I also noticed several housekeeping types policing the area and keeping the facilities tidy.

I suspect once the construction is completed and hardscape/landscape is installed it will be much easier to navigate.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:51 PM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

1) First relative to the newspaper article. People who had contracts will get paid what they are owed. People who didn't have contracts will get paid a fair price for what was properly done...when it is complete. As many of you who have built a house, commercial building, etc know, there's the plan and there's what was done. Then there's the punch list....

2) Please understand that things take time. You may not realize it, but the bulldozers came in in May and the track was open for events the first weekend in November. Further, despite what was posted earlier we have already had a SCCA Double National Race with over 150 racers on Sunday AT THE SAME TIME that we had a 24 hour event at the karting track. Sure, parking and logistics were challenging at the time but everyone came away happy.

3) Again, things take time. While I wish we had the clubhouse and other facilities up, I would much rather have a great new track FIRST than a nicer bathroom or clubhouse. We now have one of 10 tracks in the country approved for IRL and we have just received FIA Certification II which only a handful of tracks have. We have one of the newest, safest and I believe challenging tracks in the country. We also have one of only 3 COMPLETE concrete drag strips in the country and all of the high-level teams that swore off Moroso are now scheduling dates.

4) If you have a hard time coming out of pocket for the $100k until the facilities are up....don't. If you think the price is too much in general, then sign up with Chin or whoever and get track time that way. I’ll say this, to me, the Palm Beach Driving Club is about a lot more than track time.

5) It’s true, we had to re-schedule the karting winter tour. However, there are choices when totally renovating something. It was a choice that was made... not a mistake or problem. Guess what, next year the construction in the paddock will be completed and they'll be the best around.

6) For the first time EVER, we can now have a karting event, road race event, and drag racing on the same day at the same time. All of this IS HAPPENING and there are going to be some growing pains.

Last edited by PedroNole; 01-13-2009 at 02:48 PM.
Old 01-13-2009, 01:43 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 709 Likes on 414 Posts

By my count on My Laps there were 151 entries for the SCCA Sunday National Race.

All that being said the track is very nice with a great surface.

Peter
Old 01-13-2009, 02:00 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

While I wish we had the clubhouse and other facilities up, I would much rather have a great new track FIRST than a nicer bathroom or clubhouse. We now have one of 10 tracks in the country approved for IRL and we have just received FIA Certification II which only a handful of tracks have. We have one of the newest, safest and I believe challenging tracks in the country. We also have one of only 3 COMPLETE concrete drag strips in the country and all of the high-level teams that swore off Moroso are now scheduling dates.
I also prefer the racing part over the luxury part of the facilities, but all I am saying is that potential members might have overlooked the older, less fun track in favor of the clubhouse etc. Maybe not, just my 0.02c

And yes, we all know contractors' issues and there are always 2 sides to a story..
I hope it all gets resolved fast and that PBIR will sell many members (Hopefully this issue does not turn them off permanently.) to upgrade facilities..
Old 01-13-2009, 02:00 PM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 85Gold
By my count on My Laps there were 151 entries for the SCCA Sunday National Race.
Obviously you missed my point where I was responding to the earlier poster that said "no way a scca national event could hold the trailers (yet)." Regardless, I've gone back and adjusted my post to correctly show that there were 152.

Last edited by PedroNole; 01-13-2009 at 02:45 PM.
Old 01-13-2009, 02:37 PM
dblapex
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am glad we sticking to the important issues of wether there was 151 or 152 entrants....,man and people say im a pain the ***! Can we agree that there were over 150 and get back to how nice and tidy the new portable bathrooms are.
Old 01-13-2009, 03:53 PM
DanS911
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The nice thing about BBs and threads like this one in particular is that everyone gets to toss their .02 cents into the pot. Some .02s are worth more than others for sure!
The bottom line is that some good folks have taken what was a terminal pile of crap, where there once was a place where many of us had fond memories, and turned it into something that may be something very special.

Quick Reply: Liens filed by contractors against PBIR.