Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LSR PCA Feb 7-8 at TWS...who's going?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 04:58 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

LOL....I thought that was just road grime from our almost-rain.
Old 02-10-2009, 05:45 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

OK, I've finally got video up. White run group, Sunday morning, 2nd run. A good mix of cars - boxters, 944's, 964's, Elise. There was even an asparagus-green 996 spec POS that threw rocks at me on the last lap.

http://www.vimeo.com/3155744

It's supposed to merge a rear and forward camera into a single vid, but for some reason Vimeo is showing only the forward camera. Clicking "HD ON" so that it says "HD OFF" will reveal both cameras, but it screws up the aspect ratio and flattens both videos in the space of one.

Mike (and anyone else who wants to download 485meg), click on the "Download Quicktime Version". It is contains both vids at the correct aspect ratios.

Had some problems with camera shake at higher speeds on the straights; apologies for the pixelated artifacts there. Not sure why... I practiced this with my son several times prior to the DE, and told him to hold them each real tight; I guess he got nervous holding on to both cameras at the higher DE speeds.

Originally Posted by TR6
No doubt. I've bounced off of both T14 curb and T15 curb before at different times hard enough that the car felt like a pinball.
Careful, in the miata that could be "launched" instead of "bounced".
Old 02-10-2009, 06:34 PM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ervtx
OK, I've finally got video up. White run group, Sunday morning, 2nd run.
I was hoping to spot my miata in there but I never saw it. Guess I was behind you somewhere on the other side of the track.
Old 02-10-2009, 06:43 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TR6
I was hoping to spot my miata in there but I never saw it. Guess I was behind you somewhere on the other side of the track.
Correct, which means you must have been going fast enough that we never caught up to you.
Old 02-10-2009, 06:55 PM
bsr_257
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, I've finally got video up. White run group, Sunday morning, 2nd run. A good mix of cars - boxters, 944's, 964's, Elise. There was even an asparagus-green 996 spec POS that threw rocks at me on the last lap.
I was reeling you guys in during that session (was looking for Edwin in his SPBOX). Holy batman, the lack of traffic awareness was quite atrocious!!!

Could have pretended to be Gladwill and black-flagged for passing between 3-4, 9-10, 1-2. Then they would have realized that John was 8-months pregnant....

I'm working on a video from Saturday afternoon when John was dicing it with West. Hoping to work on it tonight.
Old 02-10-2009, 07:06 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

OK,
There was even an asparagus-green 996 spec POS that threw rocks at me on the last lap.
Don't know what that guy's deal is. Lots of traffic out there this weekend.
Old 02-10-2009, 07:39 PM
boss351
Instructor

Do you have by any chance a grey 996 TT with a "motorwerks" sticker on the back, #151, in any of your vids, particularly the above session. It was my first white group run and I spun on turn 8 between a black GT3 (behind) and a electric blue older 911 in front.

Nice vid, what camera are you using?
Old 02-10-2009, 07:55 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bsr_257
I was reeling you guys in during that session (was looking for Edwin in his SPBOX). Holy batman, the lack of traffic awareness was quite atrocious!!!

Could have pretended to be Gladwill and black-flagged for passing between 3-4, 9-10, 1-2. Then they would have realized that John was 8-months pregnant....

I'm working on a video from Saturday afternoon when John was dicing it with West. Hoping to work on it tonight.
You think so? Traffic was tight, but we were in the middle of a lot of similarly paced vehicles. Everyone we passed eventually fell back, yet I can't recall a single pass that I was given that was easy to get done in the space provided. A few 944's held up globe for a while, but they didn't fall back very far once we got by. We passed Edwin and the white Carrera early on, but they stayed right behind me for a few laps before they finally dropped back. (Looked to me at the time like they were running together, and dropped back together on purpose).

Tell me if I was oblivious to something; it certainly could have happened with the number of cars that were running so close.

Originally Posted by mglobe
Don't know what that guy's deal is. Lots of traffic out there this weekend.
I picked up a nickel-sized starburst in my windshield from that shrapnel... yet another sign that it's time to think about a new ride.

Originally Posted by boss351
Do you have by any chance a grey 996 TT with a "motorwerks" sticker on the back, #151, in any of your vids, particularly the above session. It was my first white group run and I spun on turn 8 between a black GT3 (behind) and a electric blue older 911 in front.

Nice vid, what camera are you using?
Sorry, that video was the entire session. Only one car went off near me (right after T6 on the last lap). I ran the camcorder for only one other session (Saturday morning) so I wouldn't have any of you in that one if you were in yellow that day. Forward camera is a 3-year old Sony HDV, Rear camera is a 10-year old Sony DV. Lots better options to choose from these days.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:45 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

I picked up a nickel-sized starburst in my windshield from that shrapnel... yet another sign that it's time to think about a new ride.
Ouch! Sorry about that Russell. Of course the person that really should be apologizing is whoever had the bright idea of filling in a perfectly good apex with gravel.

Actually I agree with Eugene that traffic was pretty bad. I often felt held up, and found myself biding my time around the track until a passing zone came up. I wish PCA would go with open passing with a point like LSR PDS has. It helps with traffic, but I doubt it will happen as it is a bit riskier.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:14 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,220 Likes on 597 Posts

that video makes my *** look fat...
Old 02-10-2009, 09:16 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

The gravel could have been dragged onto the track by the car that went off after the T6 exit, but I thought it had come from the actual point where he went off. I saw the yellow flag while approaching T5. You can tell that as I was turning through 5, I relaxed my hands and backed off a bit, and then after 6 the Elise went left, and you stayed right, so I couldn't see the debris until it was too late. No big deal; comes with the territory.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:17 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by eclou
I wouldn't let it bother you; we all look that way.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:56 PM
deep_uv
RIP

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by eclou
No, your *** makes your *** look fat.

That's what I stop myself from saying everytime a certain person asks.
Old 02-11-2009, 12:38 AM
bsr_257
Rennlist Member

Russell,

You guys were all clicking along at a similar pace and bunched up during that session, I could see you in my sights. A lot depends on when you're coming up on slower traffic (wish I had video of that session). 7 to 11 can seem like an eternity if someone pulls off a Texas drag race down the back straight. Plus it takes a little time for the squirrels to get the Spec Barbie back up to speed for any momentum loss.

I couldn't stay out for very long as I had a Blue student. It looked like you guys were having a blast.

FWIW, I also picked up a nice starburst on my new windshield. Time to order a tear-off. My car is back up at BWP, we are calling the glass people to fix it.
Old 02-11-2009, 01:03 PM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I saw a couple of instances of cars in front of me in white kicking up gravel. One of them was on the outside at turn-in for T7! You'd think people would be more aware of of the danger of dropping tires off the outside edge of the track on turn-in after that rollover accident at MSR in richochet.

It would be great to have more passing zones in red and white. Open up the two straights between 3-4 and 9-10 for passing. If there's enough room to pass between 4-5, then there should be enough room to pass safely between 3-4 and 9-10.

Quick Reply: LSR PCA Feb 7-8 at TWS...who's going?