Sponsored by:

LSR PCA Feb 7-8 at TWS...who's going?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 12:18 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Holy cow. I think I just figured out why I was getting so much oversteer in all the fast lefthand corners this past weekend: RR tire has a 4" x 8" (approx) section in the middle of the contact patch where it has partly delaminated one later of tire material, with partial cords showing.

Wow. First time that has happened.
Atleast you weren't getting much tread flex,
Old 02-09-2009, 12:19 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

Ugh.
Old 02-09-2009, 12:38 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Mike, did you hear the tire rub when I was driving your car ?
Check the rt rear wheel area, probably on the inside and/or top of the wheel well area. Look for rubber marks or bare paint. Let me know what you see.

I didn't notice it when you drove, only when I drove, and only in a few corners.
Old 02-09-2009, 12:41 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by onefastviking
Check the rt rear wheel area, probably on the inside and/or top of the wheel well area. Look for rubber marks or bare paint. Let me know what you see.

I didn't notice it when you drove, only when I drove, and only in a few corners.
We also bottomed once coming off the transition when I was driving it for a couple of laps so Mike could take tire temps. Likely scraped exhaust tips.
Old 02-09-2009, 12:53 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

We also bottomed once coming off the transition when I was driving it for a couple of laps so Mike could take tire temps. Likely scraped exhaust tips.
I was bottoming the tire in 7 when I drove it. IMHO Mike's car is a little too low, riding bump stops can be fun, but usually not the fastest nor very confidence inspiring. It would bottom then you could feel the back get a little squiggly. Not sure if Mike felt it but I did.
Old 02-09-2009, 01:17 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
Viking and I watched that last spin in my mirrors. Looked pretty epic. Glad you came out of it ok.

Props to the guy who trailered all the way down from Cincinnati to run with us, and also to Eon who came in from Louisiana. Great to have folks from out of region joining us.
Mike, don't think I met you while there. (I'm Eon's dad - man that's painful to spit out)

Just wanted to say that the event was great even though I only got onto the track in Eon's 944 during the lunch lapping.

It's just about definite that we'll be back next month, with 2 944s this time.

We have a two day DE here (Mardi Gras Region) at No Problem Raceway in two weeks for those of you that I didn't broadcast it to...

Anyways, props to Viking and especially West for taking Eon under his wing and showing him the ropes, the proper line, etc.....thanks, alot West.

Met alot of great people and had a great time....will definitely be spreading the word around here that you guys put on an excellent event....!

T
Old 02-09-2009, 02:07 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

I was bottoming the tire in 7 when I drove it. IMHO Mike's car is a little too low, riding bump stops can be fun, but usually not the fastest nor very confidence inspiring. It would bottom then you could feel the back get a little squiggly. Not sure if Mike felt it but I did.

Viking,

First of all, thanks for both the ride along and for driving my car. Both experiences were very helpful to me. I did hear the rub in T7 at least on two if not more occaisions when you were driving. I meant to ask you what it was, and then didn't get around to it. I think you're right about the ride height, and as I mentioned yesterday, I also think I've got it underdamped. I don't think I'm going to change it before my first race, but I know it needs some work. Honestly I didn't notice being on the bump stops except when Dave and I came off the transition hard. After next month's race I want to address the issue. BTW, somehow we didn't get traqmate times on the session you drove. That explains why the numbers we looked at were so slow.
Old 02-09-2009, 02:11 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Holy cow. I think I just figured out why I was getting so much oversteer in all the fast lefthand corners this past weekend: RR tire has a 4" x 8" (approx) section in the middle of the contact patch where it has partly delaminated one layer of tire material, with partial cords showing.

ghack!

Just like with Viking, thanks for riding with me and droving my car. As always I learned a bunch. I can't wait for the race weekend to get here!
Old 02-09-2009, 02:12 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 87_944s
Nice meeting you too, and you should definatly make the trip down here sometime. This is whats coming up for now for the few people that were talking about making the trip one of these days :

February 21 & 22, 2009 - Driver Education Event at No Problem Raceway

April 26, 2009 - Driver Education Event at No Problem Raceway

September 26, 2009 - Driver Education Event at No Problem Raceway

Eon S.
Originally Posted by 951and944S
Mike, don't think I met you while there. (I'm Eon's dad - man that's painful to spit out)

Just wanted to say that the event was great even though I only got onto the track in Eon's 944 during the lunch lapping.

It's just about definite that we'll be back next month, with 2 944s this time.

We have a two day DE here (Mardi Gras Region) at No Problem Raceway in two weeks for those of you that I didn't broadcast it to...

Anyways, props to Viking and especially West for taking Eon under his wing and showing him the ropes, the proper line, etc.....thanks, alot West.

Met alot of great people and had a great time....will definitely be spreading the word around here that you guys put on an excellent event....!

T
Sorry I missed you, and glad I got to meet Eon. It's fantastic having people from out of region at our events. Hope you both come back soon. The club race DE is the best of them all btw.
Old 02-09-2009, 02:34 PM
Gasser
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, had a great weekend. See you guys at the club race next month...

Jeff
Old 02-09-2009, 02:50 PM
jacksonrw
Three Wheelin'

awesome car Jeff
I need earplugs
Old 02-09-2009, 03:16 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
Sorry I missed you, and glad I got to meet Eon. It's fantastic having people from out of region at our events. Hope you both come back soon. The club race DE is the best of them all btw.
Bah....so many people so little time, I did meet you early on Saturday AM.

You walked us to the garage where Viking was supposed to be.

Good luck with your first race, hopefully we'll be there.

I've been DE'ing a street 944T while working on a full on 944T track car, it's not ready but I sort of inherited an Sp2 car to use from a friend and local MG region racer that's building a 911......so, I'll have a 944 to use for the LSR march DE complete with PCA log book.

Again, great event y'all....,

T
Old 02-09-2009, 03:44 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jacksonrw
awesome car Jeff
I need earplugs
+1.

Also, Jeff, thanks for the hospitality watching the Shootout with Keith, Wally, and Brooke.

-Dave
Old 02-09-2009, 05:01 PM
pmgoodwin
Racer

Holy cow. I think I just figured out why I was getting so much oversteer in all the fast lefthand corners this past weekend: RR tire has a 4" x 8" (approx) section in the middle of the contact patch where it has partly delaminated one layer of tire material, with partial cords showing.

Maybe that is what I was hearing on T8.
Old 02-09-2009, 05:06 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pmgoodwin
Maybe that is what I was hearing on T8.
It probably was, Paul.

Quick Reply: LSR PCA Feb 7-8 at TWS...who's going?