Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Past the stage of no return

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009 | 09:36 PM
NAO
Advanced

Default Past the stage of no return

A few pics of a board members 996 that has now gone past the stage of no return.
Old 01-02-2009 | 09:40 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Yeah I'd say your just getting started !

Enjoy the obsession
Old 01-03-2009 | 11:20 PM
StuartFirm
Instructor

True enough, you're just getting started. Enjoy. Mine looked like that at first too. Next, all those pesky factory wiring harnesses have to leave immediately. Can we have pics of the engine bay and exterior. With those we can tell you that the HVAC components must leave and the engine bay fan and some other unnecessary things. Then we'll be suggesting the removal of those crazy heavy bumper covers (front and rear), front impact bar (some choose to leave the rear in case someone decides they can't stop as fast as you can so they give you a little love tap from behind -- don't want any nasty engine bay damage from such friendly nudging you see?), fenders, hood, doors, roof and rear deck lid and replacement with proper carbon parts.

Nice. Keep the pics coming, we enjoy seeing our babies stripped down and redressed in proper clothing.
Old 01-11-2009 | 07:42 PM
NAO
Advanced

Originally Posted by StuartFirm
True enough, you're just getting started. Enjoy. Mine looked like that at first too. Next, all those pesky factory wiring harnesses have to leave immediately. Can we have pics of the engine bay and exterior. With those we can tell you that the HVAC components must leave and the engine bay fan and some other unnecessary things. Then we'll be suggesting the removal of those crazy heavy bumper covers (front and rear), front impact bar (some choose to leave the rear in case someone decides they can't stop as fast as you can so they give you a little love tap from behind -- don't want any nasty engine bay damage from such friendly nudging you see?), fenders, hood, doors, roof and rear deck lid and replacement with proper carbon parts.

Nice. Keep the pics coming, we enjoy seeing our babies stripped down and redressed in proper clothing.
yeh the wiring is a bit of a bitch

Old 01-11-2009 | 08:39 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have seen a Aston (radio) and a Mercedes(hvac) torn apart at the same dealer. From the wheel to the firewallit looked like four feet. your just getting started.
Old 01-11-2009 | 08:45 PM
NAO
Advanced

Originally Posted by StuartFirm

Stu the A/c went a long time ago when the 3.6 X51 was installed
The vid is from RTL in oct before the latest mods
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnVlq72KKWo
Old 01-11-2009 | 11:43 PM
trackjunky
Rennlist Member

So this was a 2001 that went from a 3.4 to a 3.6? I'd love to hear about the conversion to the 3.6l. Do you think it was better to go that route vs selling the 2001 and buying a 2002+ with a 3.6?

I'm assuming that you are going GTS3 and GTB for PCA. What wiring did you dump? Where did you move the fuse panel that was in the drivers side footwell to?
Old 01-12-2009 | 12:54 AM
onefastviking
Race Car

Originally Posted by trackjunky
I'm assuming that you are going GTS3 and GTB for PCA. What wiring did you dump? Where did you move the fuse panel that was in the drivers side footwell to?
In a 2002 996 3.6 I understand that with a little work you can reroute the wiring harness and move the fuse box to the center dash area and with the radio and HVAC controls removed you can then mount it nicely hidden under the new center dash switch panel. It makes for very easy access and a very clean install. - So I have heard anyway.
Old 01-12-2009 | 01:45 PM
TIM COSTA
Pro

Whos shifter is that and why the right side net with the halo seat?? Looks great, would love to see some exterior shots. When do you think you'll have it ready? Sebring is only 3 1/2 weeks away and we sure could use somemore folks in GTB!!!
Old 01-12-2009 | 02:00 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by TIM COSTA
Whos shifter is that and why the right side net with the halo seat?? Looks great, would love to see some exterior shots. When do you think you'll have it ready? Sebring is only 3 1/2 weeks away and we sure could use somemore folks in GTB!!!
In an impact the head/helmet can move past the ends of the halo seat.

I think John (RedlineMan) has the basic number floating aroudn in a few of his posts. Double digit inches are what I am remembering.

And many orgnizations are now requiring it.

Why route the dashbar under the steering column? Was it a space issue above the column?
Old 01-12-2009 | 05:39 PM
ga911
Advanced

The pictured car is mine. It’s a 2001 996 that I’ve been doing NASA TT’s with for the past two years. I know and enjoy the car, so I decided to convert it into a wheel-to-wheel car. The weight/WHP should place it competitively in NASA GTS4. In addition, it should qualify for PCA GTB, although I’m not sure how competitive it will be with the current rules.

Genesis One automotive in Cumming, GA installed the cage. To the best of my knowledge, the location of the dashbar was dictated by the dash reinstall and the fact that it stiffens the bottom end.

What remained of the fuse box was tucked up under the dash above the driver’s foot well.

I’m not a mechanic, but I believe the 3.4l to 3.6l conversion was done utilizing the original wiring harness and ECU. Modifications were made to the cam sensors to resemble those on the 3.4l. The idle is a little rough, but it’s a dedicated track car (obviously) so it’s not a concern.

We got the car back from the cage fabricator last Monday and I was turning laps at Roebling Road five days later – Quite a feat by Orton.

I can’t wait until the first NASA event at CMP next month.

I’ll post more pictures when the car is closer to completion.

I’m still looking for a few parts, so I guess I’ll put some feelers out:

Thanks ,

Patrick
            Old 01-12-2009 | 06:24 PM
            NAO
            Advanced

We got the car back from the cage fabricator last Monday and I was turning laps at Roebling Road five days later – Quite a feat by Orton.

Dude we picked up the car Tuesday afternoon
            Old 01-12-2009 | 06:41 PM
            CWay27
            Rennlist Member

So who's the owner, NAO or ga911??

Where and did you relocate the big wire loom from driver foot rest??
            Old 01-12-2009 | 06:44 PM
            Porsche917K
            Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by CWay27
            So who's the owner, NAO or ga911??

Where and did you relocate the big wire loom from driver foot rest??
            That's what I was wondering. Are you guys married?
            Old 01-12-2009 | 06:49 PM
            NAO
            Advanced

Originally Posted by Porsche917K
            That's what I was wondering. Are you guys married?
            No he's not my type.I go for tall leggy blonde's not tall skinny slap heads

Quick Reply: Past the stage of no return