Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My car about to go into its third life - Synergy Racing GTB race car.

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 03:50 PM
blakt out
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My car about to go into its third life - Synergy Racing GTB race car.

I've been living in this gray area. I have the car now set up to be a DE/track day car. I've gone so far into that that I don't even really drive it on the street anymore. I am getting to where I don't want to just go to track days, but I want to start to race. I think Synergy Racing's going to build my car into a GTB class full-on race car.

I'm not 100% on this. More like 90%. And before you all start telling me that I'd be better off to sell and start over, let me say that... well, I want to do it with THIS car. Period. "We're tight like dat."

If you want to look into what I'm talking about doing more (which I think you should...) go to Synergy's site. Also, look on just about any issue of Excellence magazine and there's a Performance Friction ad with a Synergy GTB race car on it. That's where I'm most likely going.

I'd love to hear what each of you think, though. As I said, I'm not 100%.

Needless to say, if I do this, I'm going to have a TON of parts that I can't use in GTB. I'm just going to make the list here. As I make the threads in the For Sale Section, I'll add the hyperlinks in here by editing this post. This is not a for sale post here though. I think for you guys to help me finalize this decision, you'll need to know what all I have to take off, get rid of, and change. Might as well make them hyperlinks too.

This HUGE change... again... seems to be all that I can think about.

VF Engineering Supercharger for 997S. SOLD

GMG GT Roll/Harness Bar for any 997.

Brembo 380mm 6 piston brake kit SOLD

19" Volk TE-37 wheels with Pilot Sport Cups SOLD

GMG GT3RS carbon rear wing/deck lid

Cargraphic GT2 rear wing/deck lid

Cargraphic GT3 front bumper SOLD

OEM 997 rear bumper SOLD

Avus AF-MO2 20" wheels with tires SOLD

Factory Black Carrera S Lobster Claw 19" wheels with MPSC SOLD

Cobra Carbon Fiber/alcantara Suzuka S Technology seats

One 98% new Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 295/30ZR18 SOLD

Two 98% new Michelin Pilot Sport Cups 235/40ZR18 SOLD

Last edited by blakt out; 01-14-2009 at 12:50 AM.
Old 12-08-2008, 04:01 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Jared.....are you free right now? I'll give you a call.
Old 12-08-2008, 04:05 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Details on the R888's.

Originally Posted by blakt out
I've been living in this gray area. I have the car now set up to be a DE/track day car. I've gone so far into that that I don't even really drive it on the street anymore. I am getting to where I don't want to just go to track days, but I want to start to race. I think Synergy Racing's going to build my car into a GTB class full-on race car.

I'm not 100% on this. More like 90%. And before you all start telling me that I'd be better off to sell and start over, let me say that... well, I want to do it with THIS car. Period. "We're tight like dat."

If you want to look into what I'm talking about doing more (which I think you should...) go to Synergy's site. Also, look on just about any issue of Excellence magazine and there's a Performance Friction ad with a Synergy GTB race car on it. That's where I'm most likely going.

I'd love to hear what each of you think, though. As I said, I'm not 100%.

Needless to say, if I do this, I'm going to have a TON of parts that I can't use in GTB. I'm just going to make the list here. As I make the threads in the For Sale Section, I'll add the hyperlinks in here by editing this post. This is not a for sale post here though. I think for you guys to help me finalize this decision, you'll need to know what all I have to take off, get rid of, and change. Might as well make them hyperlinks too.

This HUGE change... again... seems to be all that I can think about. The links take you to my for sale posts on 6speed, FYI.

VF Engineering Supercharger for 997S.

GMG GT Roll/Harness Bar for any 997.

Brembo 380mm 6 piston brake kit

Volk TE-37 wheels

GMG GT3RS carbon rear wing/deck lid

Cargraphic GT2 rear wing/deck lid

Cargraphic GT3 front bumper

OEM 997 rear bumper

Avus AF-MO2 20" wheels with tires

Factory Black Carrera S Lobster Claw 19" wheels with MPSC

Cobra Carbon Fiber/alcantara Suzuka Technology seats

Factory 997S power seats

Custom subwoofer box with 2 JL Audio 8W0 subs

Various Toyo R888s

Various Michelin Pilot Sport Cups
Old 12-08-2008, 04:58 PM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm sure you've heard it before but you'd be massively better off selling your 997 and buying a used cup car. It will be both faster and more reliable on the track and hold it's value better. And, the cup is a lot more fun to drive.

Take it from someone that's been down both paths.
Jim
Old 12-08-2008, 05:10 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Best of luck to you, regardless of the direction you go. I will note, however, that everyone I know who actually races (I don't) does NOT have a serious emotional attachment to his/her car. You almost can't be too attached to something that you're going to be willing to bang up. The car is a tool, like a set of golf clubs.
Old 12-08-2008, 05:33 PM
blakt out
Instructor

Originally Posted by LVDell
Jared.....are you free right now? I'll give you a call.
Yep. Call away.
Old 12-08-2008, 05:34 PM
blakt out
Instructor

Originally Posted by JimB
I'm sure you've heard it before but you'd be massively better off selling your 997 and buying a used cup car. It will be both faster and more reliable on the track and hold it's value better. And, the cup is a lot more fun to drive.

Take it from someone that's been down both paths.
Jim
This is a very good point of view. But don't I have to rebuild Cup motors every 50 hours or so, not mentioning all the other major forms of upkeep? And it should be noted that I have around $225k in this car, including parts that aren't on it. As it sits, $175k. Of the $80-$150k that it takes ON TOP OF the cost of a car for it to be a Synergy build car, I have about $50k of it.
Old 12-08-2008, 05:37 PM
blakt out
Instructor

Originally Posted by Potomac-Greg
Best of luck to you, regardless of the direction you go. I will note, however, that everyone I know who actually races (I don't) does NOT have a serious emotional attachment to his/her car. You almost can't be too attached to something that you're going to be willing to bang up. The car is a tool, like a set of golf clubs.
Very true. However, I came from very humble roots and just a handful of years ago I'd have never believed you if you said I could own a Porsche. So, having never really had another really nice car, I'm really attached here. But I do agree with you. Having said this, do you think I'd be better off financially and 'lap time wise' to do something else?
Old 12-08-2008, 05:44 PM
amondc
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blakt out
This is a very good point of view. But don't I have to rebuild Cup motors every 50 hours or so, not mentioning all the other major forms of upkeep? And it should be noted that I have around $225k in this car, including parts that aren't on it. As it sits, $175k. Of the $80-$150k that it takes ON TOP OF the cost of a car for it to be a Synergy build car, I have about $50k of it.
For that you can keep the car and buy a cup for the cost of the conversion. You don't need to rebuild cup motors every 50hrs....we are over 100 on one and it still pulls with the best of them. 335 at the wheels last time on the dyno. Pads, rotors and tires is all the cups need and your car will need those also, so running costs will be about the same. I know you don't want to give that car up but from the sounds of it you woulndt have to.
Old 12-08-2008, 05:48 PM
bauerjab
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Buy Ron Savenor's 964 Euro Cup Car. There's a FS link in this forum. It's a no brainer. Excellent car and he just lowered the price to 75K with spares. Turning a street car (and a heavy one at that) into a serious track car (and that appears to be your goal) is simply not wise (just my 2 deflationary 2 cents). As for the 50 hour engine life, a 964 Cup engine will last much longer than that. I'm not sure of the lap times, but my guess is that they are similar if not the 964 cup is faster.
Old 12-08-2008, 06:38 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,183 Likes on 599 Posts

Originally Posted by amondc
For that you can keep the car and buy a cup for the cost of the conversion. You don't need to rebuild cup motors every 50hrs....we are over 100 on one and it still pulls with the best of them. 335 at the wheels last time on the dyno. Pads, rotors and tires is all the cups need and your car will need those also, so running costs will be about the same. I know you don't want to give that car up but from the sounds of it you woulndt have to.
335 WHP is good?

yeesh that seems about 45 lower than I've seen street cars.
Old 12-08-2008, 06:42 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by bauerjab
As for the 50 hour engine life, a 964 Cup engine will last much longer than that. I'm not sure of the lap times, but my guess is that they are similar if not the 964 cup is faster.
My friend's 05 Cup is on it's 3rd PCNA motor, 1st one at 80, second one at 85 hours. New, sealed motor was under $21K...
Old 12-08-2008, 07:00 PM
claykos
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 42 Posts

What makes you think that a "regular" 997 engine (which is not drysump) is going to last any longer between freshnings than a cup engine in the same environment?
Old 12-08-2008, 09:29 PM
KRA993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

A good friend of mine has a Synergy 997. It has been a solid performer and good quality build. I got a ride in it with a pro driver and it seemed very balanced and in the right hands very capable. I think you will really enjoy it. The guys at Synergy seem to do things right and have a proven build formula.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:30 PM
amondc
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
335 WHP is good?

yeesh that seems about 45 lower than I've seen street cars.
at the wheels for an 00 car..yes

Quick Reply: My car about to go into its third life - Synergy Racing GTB race car.