Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What would you change in this 24' ATC trailer?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 05:46 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts
Default What would you change in this 24' ATC trailer?

Thinking ahead to the spring, and the propsect of finally getting a trailer. What would you change (cost being a consideration so no gold plating here) in this trailer spec?

Note that I do not have a escape door and I have not added E-Track or similar to secure jacks, jack stands, nitrogen bottle, fuel jugs and the like. Should I, and what where? Appreciate the help, guys....

Trailer Type: 2009 ATC Quest Series Car Haulers
Width: 8.5
Length: 24
Height: 7.0
Axles: 5200# Torsion Axles
Number of Axles: 2

Model #: ATCQST8524TA3

Standard Features:
FRAME
FULL PERIMETER ALUMINUM FRAME
ALL-TUBE CONSTRUCTION
TORSION AXLES
EZ LUBE HUBS
ELECTRIC BRAKES - ALL AXLES
GEL CELL BATTERY BREAKAWAY KIT
2-5/16" COUPLER
SAFETY CHAINS & HOOKS
2000# ZINC PLATED MANUAL JACK
16" O/C FLOOR CROSSMEMBERS
16" O/C ROOF CROSSMEMBERS - 1" x 3"
48" BEAVERTAIL
16" O/C WALL SUPPORTS
SMOOTH ALUM. RADIUS WHEEL BOXES
FLAT FRONT DESIGN

INTERIOR
ADVANTECH SUB FLOOR
FLOOR COVER IS OPTIONAL
ADVANTECH RAMP
ADVANTECH TRANSITION FLAP
OPEN STUD WALLS
OPEN STUD CEILING
(4) 5000# D-RINGS
WIRE GROMMETS
(1) ROOF VENT
(2) DOME LIGHTS

EXTERIOR
3" UPPER RUB RAIL TRIM
3" LOWER RUB RAIL TRIM
.030 ALUMINUM
COLOR COORDINATED RIVETS ON SEAMS
POLISHED FRONT VERTICALS
ONE-PIECE ALUMINUM ROOF
GRAY MOD WHEELS W/ CHROME CAP
36" SIDE DOOR - 405 SERIES
STANDARD FLUSH LOCK
REAR RAMP DOOR
GAPLESS CONTINUOUS HINGE
ALUMINUM BAR LOCKS
STAINLESS STEEL HASPS
7-WAY PLUG
24" HIGH ATP STONEGUARD
L.E.D. CLEARANCE LIGHTS
ST225/75R15LRD RADIAL TIRES
L.E.D. SLIM LINE BRAKE LIGHTS

Selected Options:

1 SPARE ST225/75R15LRD ON SILVER WHEEL $157.00

1 UPGRADE ST225/75R15LRD ON ALUMINUM WHEEL W/SS LUGNUTS $88.00

1 STAINLESS STEEL REAR PADDLE LATCHES $260.00

1 FASTLANE TAG PACKAGE $7,288.00
7' INTERIOR HEIGHT
UPGRADE TO 4" RUB RAIL FROM 3"
SCREWLESS EXTERIOR
POLISHED CAST CORNERS
STAINLESS STEEL VERTICALS
STAINLESS STEEL TOP RADIUS
FMVSS SIDE DOOR LOCK
POLISHED REAR HEADER
BLACK COIN RUBBER FLOOR
BLACK COIN RUBBER RAMP
BLACK COIN TRANSITION FLAP
SCREWLESS ALUMINUM WALLS AND CEILING
ALUMINUM WHEELS
8' UPPER CABINET
STRAIGHT BASE CABINET
UPGRADE TO DUAL SLIMLINE LED BRAKE LIGHTS
30 AMP BREAKER BOX W/ MOTORBASE PLUG
25' SHORE CORD
(1) EXTERIOR GFI PROTECTED RECEP
(3) INTERIOR GFI PROTECTED RECEPS
(2) 48" RECESSED FLUORESCENT LIGHTS
(2) RECESSED EXTERIOR HALOGEN LIGHTS
BRACE AND WIRE FOR FUTURE A/C
ALUMINUM SKID PLATES

1 ALUMINUM SLIDE OUT / SLIDE IN STEP @ SIDE DOOR $293.00
STEP WIDTH MATCHES DOOR SIZE

4 UPGRADE RECESSED FLOOR SWIVEL D-RING 6000# CAPACITY EACH $52.00
1 INTERIOR WALL SPARE TIRE MOUNT $65.00

1 15,000 BTU A/C (12" OVERALL HEIGHT) $988.00
DUCTING AVAILABLE - NOT INCLUDED

1 HEAT STRIP FOR A/C $65.00
CANNOT BE USED W/ DUCTING
CANNOT BE USED W/ WALL THERMOSTAT

1 30 AMP CONVERTER $163.00

1 8' FOLD UP TIRE RACK $650.00

1 FLIP DOWN STABILIZER JACKS / 2000# CAPACITY - (PAIR) $124.00

1 6' ALUMINUM RAMP EXTENSIONS w/ 3" BUMPERS $832.00

1 21' 12V POWER AWNING WITH WEATHERGUARD $1,144.00
DOES NOT INCLUDE BATTERY

1 SIDE MOUNT TURN SIGNALS (PAIR) $52.00

1 4000# SUPER WINCH, REMOTE, AND BATTERY $1,034.00

1 IN-FLOOR WINCH BOX $293.00
PULLEY AND HARDWARE SHIPPED LOOSE
MOUNT PLATE ANGLED TO 30 DEGREES
REDUCED STRESS ON CABLE AND PULLEY

Added Notes:
Color TBD

Regular Price: $26,211.00
Freight: $995.00
Final Price: $27,206.00

#25B25-217346 F.O.B Nappanee, IN
Old 11-24-2008, 05:55 PM
Ernie J
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Buy a Featherlite
Old 11-24-2008, 05:57 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

That's alot of coin for a 24' trailer albeit one nicely set up.

With that said I prefer the aluminum treadplate flooring instead of the rubber floor mat in case I spill something very hot on it.
If you ad the side door make sure you can have it installed low enough that you can actually open your car door... mine and most I've seen are built too high.

Very similar in spec to my Millenium trailer.
Old 11-24-2008, 06:00 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Those are list prices. This is a good time to buy, even new, so figure at least 10% off. Still too much?

ATC seems to be a better value than Featherlite, and the wedge nose that the Featherlites use does not seem so versatile.
Old 11-24-2008, 06:11 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

buy used....there are smoking deals out there
Old 11-24-2008, 06:18 PM
Professor Helmüt Tester
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 11 Posts

Had trouble trying to decipher all that...does it have...and how big a curb-side door ? My current & previous enclosed both had 48" curb-side doors. Important for me as I always load a 4-wheeler last, and tie it down "sideways" in front of the car. The theory...and reality...being "last in, first out". Very important for paddock errands on race weekends, post-arrival & pre-departure. You can also (noting in your sig) secure a bike crossways in there. Did that for a bunch of weekends with my 900cc Darmah ('78, still had a kick start...if you have a strong leg). Never loaded my SS in there, but it will fit. (Ducati junkies will understand)

Current trailer has an electric tongue jack. I thought it was an extravagance...until I used it the first time...and I now am in love with my electric tongue jack. I want to marry it. Maybe have children with it. Have wild sex in the paddock late at night with it. Get the idea ?

Nitrogen bottle can go right inside the side door. Easy to get in & out, and you'll be able to reach it easily and not have hoses dragged across the trailer when it's in use. Lots of good "bottle mount" hardware available...don't use E-track for it.

I have roof A/C in my 28', and I've used it exactly........once. Blisteringly hot 24 hour race, so we could have a semi-comfortable place to sleep in the middle of the night. You need a fairly hefty generator to run the A/C....something at least 2500-4000 watts...and you'll likely find that you'd rather be hot than listen to that noisy bastard all day long.

When selecting cabinets, choose lower cabs with doors big enough to insert your plastic parts "totes", if you use them. Some of my cabinets have dinky narrow doors, and my parts boxes won't fit in thru the doors. PITA.
Old 11-24-2008, 06:38 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean F
buy used....there are smoking deals out there

Chris, Listen to Sean. There are some over-the-top deals out there and it would help out a fellow club racer needing cash.
Old 11-24-2008, 07:03 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I can't imagine owning a trailer that does not have a driver's side escape door.
FWIW, I love mine.
Old 11-24-2008, 08:22 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Sean/Bob, found a good looking trailer, but it is not as well equipped and for what it is was actually more expensive than buying new. I suppose the seller was just not motivated. I'd be happy to buy used, planned on it in fact, but what I'm seeing on racingjunk and ebay is not doing the trick.

Professor, this does not have an escape or curb-side door. It has a winch to get the car in/out, but no door. I hope to keep this trailer for several different cars, GT3, Miata, BMW, etc., so I did not think I should try to spec an escape door that will probably not work for something I'd get. It's only 24', so no room for an ATV and I'll probably go with a pit bicycle instead of a motor bike. The Duc and the 'Priller probably need to leave the fold to make some room and free some cash. (I know. The first rule of Ducati ownership is to never sell a Ducati. The second rule is to follow the first rule.) An electric tongue jack? Really? On a 24' trailer? I'm too young for that. A/C seems to make sense. I can get power at NJMP and SP (and maybe the Glen?). If I go the generator route I'd parallel connect two Honda EU2000s. That will produce 4,000 watts and they're pretty quiet. Good thought on the cabinets!
Old 11-24-2008, 09:07 PM
banzaisan
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chris,

I have a similar 24' ATC minus the AC. I've owned my ATC for a few years and I get lots of compliments. I highly recommend that you get the electric tongue jack. It's worth the money. I'm not sure what you are towing the trailer with but get the weight distribution hitch.

The previous owner installed an airline track on the walls and floors. It's great system but very expensive. It makes it easy to tie your stuff on the walls. I have my nitrogen tank secured on the airline track.

I also use the honda EU2000 generator. It's enough to power to do what I need.

One thing my trailer has is a tall cabinet that I can store my driving suit and helmet.

Good luck on whatever you buy. If I had to buy another trailer, I would buy another ATC in a heartbeat! Go visit the ATC factory in Indiana. Everyone at ATC that builds the trailers are craftsman. I had some work done to mine and to my surprise, every part that was replaced was hand made.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:17 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I have an ATC with a driver's side door low enough to open the driver's door on a GT3 Cup/964 Cup, etc. It is a bit of a pain because it raises the trailer a bit, but it is really nice to have.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:43 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 797 Likes on 404 Posts

I have a 32' ATC goose and I absolutely love it. I have AC and can't imagine a trailer without it...makes it so nice when it's hot. I have airline track running the full length of the trailer, and diamond plate on the lower 1/2 of the walls. I have a Honda EU6500 generator...not cheap, but super quiet and very powerful. I can post some picts later in the week. I considered used, but there were few short goosenecks out there. Btw, a goose pulls way better than any tag, even my old open trailex... seriously.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:58 PM
FL Porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 9 Posts

I am on my second ATC trailer, the first one was excellent and after seeing different optional equipment on others, I ordered a larger V nose with alot of the options you mentioned. One definately needs the power jack, two batteries, power port (if you want to plug in a laptop or charge a phone), escape doors (I put one on each side), added an extra spare even with the upgraded wheels (mount one on each inside rear), I had them put in the fold up tire rack, two nitrogen tank holders (one for hi pressure to jack up the cup car; one for tire pressure, etc.) had it plumbed so that I have the hook ups on the outside (rear side), jack holder, door mounted shelving with paper towel holder (many items are from Pit Pal), a slide out step for the regular side entry door, a lucite handle for that door (it comes lit if you like), reverse spot lights, LEDs, etc. I have visited the factory to pick up the trailer and you get a great feel for the craftsmanship ... and more ideas!
I purchased both from Bob Rezner of Rezner Trailers in Duncan, OK. www.reznertrailers.com I originally found out about him from this forum! You can pick up the trailer at the factory or they will deliver it to you. Good luck in spec'g out your trailer.
Old 11-24-2008, 11:01 PM
Veloce Raptor
Team Owner

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

Kegerator.
Old 11-24-2008, 11:21 PM
dwe8922
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 15 Posts

I have a 24' FL, and have been really happy w/ it. It has no load leveler, and pulls better than my old 16' open steel trailer. Right now, I only have the 6' ramp extensions (factory; similar but more sturdy than the pitpal ones) and a winch. Both of which I think are musts, and w/ an expensive clutch, the winch will quickly pay for itself, and is a lot less than a side door. I'm planning to do ac in mine, so I have to have a final plan in mind before I can add much else w/ running wiring, etc. I've taken a lot of pictures of a lot of different trailers, and some of the best things I've seen are a 3-4' tall carpet border w/ Etrack at the top, and corner flourescent lights. Also, shoring beam tire rack in the rear looks like a good idea for ac; distributes weight, and w/ ac the rear is mostly closed.

My motivation for ac was to be able to camp, and I've seen a lot of guys do it w/ toy hauler like setups, but I'm wondering how practical that really is. I'm in the SE, so heat is mostly the issue. What are the opinions from guys who have ac?

Quick Reply: What would you change in this 24' ATC trailer?