defNder, new H&N

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 09:01 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
I haven't used and R3 but i wonder about having to think about mounting my fixed seat 1" further back to accomodate the foam needed to accomodate the klingon spine thingy of carbon fiber
I would guess that that would be somehow less an issue that getting the belts Just Right for a Hans. Many dual use cars have seats on sliders and I know of 2 guys that use R3s and don't see the need for the foam insert even in lightly padded racing shells. For a racer moving the seat a little sounds like a one time thing and little in the light of all the other work that goes into care and feeding of a race car. Ina tight open wheel car it might not be the best but a dual use 20 deg road racing seat of the type most are it sounds like a good idea with less of the nagging issues or weakness such as system fitment, impact angles or SFI rules.
I already have a H&N device but tried one of the newer gen R3s on and used it in my car. It was not as obtrusive as I expected and the belts felt good and snug on me in the car as they lay on the body rather than on the Hans.
I have no dog in this hunt other than wanting a clear understanding of the systems good and bad and to see the systems evolve for the better.

I think the basic key is less the device but where and how it is used.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:27 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
Sidenote, at teh Stars of Karting event at PRI, only 1 junior driver used a Leatt. 3 Masters drivers did. A few foam collars and lots of exposed necks.
This past season, a Stars rule change allows Senior class drivers to not wear any neck device (foam collar or otherwise), in line with current European rules.
The Masters and Karter class at PRI was technically Senior classes, so devices were optional.

AFAIK, the people you referred to got the Leatt device to wear via Leatt sponsorship.
Old 12-16-2008, 11:34 AM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
This past season, a Stars rule change allows Senior class drivers to not wear any neck device (foam collar or otherwise), in line with current European rules.
The Masters and Karter class at PRI was technically Senior classes, so devices were optional.

AFAIK, the people you referred to got the Leatt device to wear via Leatt sponsorship.
Yeah, I knew the rule change from your previous posts. I just found it interesting considering the publicity that neck safety has received in the last few years.
Old 12-16-2008, 11:43 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
Yeah, I knew the rule change from your previous posts. I just found it interesting considering the publicity that neck safety has received in the last few years.
It is quickly dismissed in the karting world.
Usually something like "I've seen dozens of kart wrecks and never any paralysis". "And they don't wear them in Europe" Karting: A very interesting crowd.
(although a young teenager did die last year after he lost control of his kart and drove into a chain link fence....little was said/discussed out of respect, but head/neck trauma was suspected cause of death)
(also, it wasn't until a young Cadet karter died of blunt force chest trauma and sternum injuries that the risk of incompletely formed chest structures and steering wheels/columns that mandated chest protectors came into being for young drivers)

However, after seeing my son's Moroso "incident" and subsequent trip to hospital, several parents quickly asked where to buy the Leatt.
No, my son wasn't instrumented, but after seeing the wreck (ending upside down with him still in seat and kart on top of his head), his injuries and him laying there not moving with his karting suit being cut off, I am grateful that he had the Leatt on and that I did the upfront work to get it into karting.
Old 12-16-2008, 04:31 PM
gbaker
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Karting injuries more resemble motorcycle injuries than auto injuries because the injury mechanism is compression of the cervical spine. Tension injuries are found whenever you have a cage/rollbar.

Quick Reply: defNder, new H&N