Sponsored by:

Brake pad comparisons Pagid orange vs Black vs Hawk HT-10/14

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 12:21 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Brake pad comparisons Pagid orange vs Black vs Hawk HT-10/14

Anyone have any racing experience using pagid oranges and then swaping out to pagid blacks (RS-14)?

Ive been talking about brakes with the BMW racers and they rave about the HT10s as being night and day difference as far as initial bite and stopping power, even when hot compared to the pagid orange pads. (RS4-4)

There is a HT-14 that has even more bit and good modulation charateristics as well.

Ive been told that the Pagid Blacks might be very similar to the HT10s.

Ive been very happy with the orange pads, but they do only last a few race weekends at most, and are usually breaking apart from being cooked. With an extra 70hp in my racer (engine mod) the 10mph faster straight line speed, it is hard to slow the car down as fast as think it should, and Im getting a lot of fade, and not as much bite with the Orange pads. The medium /slower parts of the track are stilll very good, but the fast stuff is costing me a lot of time. I plan on using a larger diameter rotor to give more braking leverage, but also dont want to compound the braking issue if it is caused by the pad just not being able to produce the braking power without fading.

Since the orange pads are kind of old technology, and the HT10/14 is relatively new, along with most Cup cars running pagid blacks, I think it might be time to branch out and try something new.

Thanks,

Mark

any feedback here?

Thanks

Mark
Old 12-16-2008, 12:29 AM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

I figured you were still running the original pads

I don't have a direct comparison of the Oranges to the Hawks but I think you should also consider Performance Friction (97, 01) and Raybestos (43, 44, 47). I'm not sure what compounds they offer for a 928, but you can call Porterfield in Costa Mesa for more info, they also give discounts to POC and NASA members.
Old 12-16-2008, 01:00 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

I'd 2nd the PFCs. I've got Pagid Blacks now and they're pretty good, but the PFCs 01 & 97s were a step up again. Sorry for the OT I guess Mark.
Old 12-16-2008, 01:26 AM
Apex Rex
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a big fan of the Hawk HT-10s, have used them on a 996 and a 968 with great success. Great bite, good modulation, and they are definitely a step up from those pagid oranges.
Old 12-16-2008, 03:43 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 65 Posts

I heard a lot of good things from the camaro i race with about the Raybestos.
I wrote down the part numbers he is using and Ill have to check.
Thanks for the tip about the dealer in the LA area.

No, the pads are not original, but they sure look like it after they have seen a few races.

mk

Originally Posted by Cory M
I figured you were still running the original pads

I don't have a direct comparison of the Oranges to the Hawks but I think you should also consider Performance Friction (97, 01) and Raybestos (43, 44, 47). I'm not sure what compounds they offer for a 928, but you can call Porterfield in Costa Mesa for more info, they also give discounts to POC and NASA members.
Old 12-16-2008, 09:25 AM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 81 Posts

I couldn't get HT10's to stop shuddering no matter what I did. Really sucked. Switched back to PF97's
Old 12-16-2008, 09:32 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

I used the HT-10's at the end of this season and thought they were great relative to the Raybestos fronts pads I had been running. Currently upgrading to a 968 brake setup and plan to use HT-10's next year.

We used a brand new set of HT-10's for the 8-hr enduro a few weeks ago and only used 50% of the front pad. The the Raybestos, I would have gone through two sets
Old 12-16-2008, 09:36 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have used Pagid Orange and Black, as well as Hawk HT-10s on several cars. I stick with the HT-10s now and I am very pleased with the performance and life I get on relatively heavy cars.

The Pagid Blacks and the HT-10s are similar in their operating heat range, which is significantly higher than the Pagid orange pads. IIRC the oranges are good from 500 degrees to 1200 degrees, the Blacks from 500 degrees to 1600 degrees and HT-10s from 300 degrees to 1600 degrees. I don't have the charts handy right now, but they are on the manufacturers websites. I find that people with lighter, lower powered cars seem to do well with the orange pads, while those with heavy, higher powered cars melt them down quickly.

Hawk has new compounds out in the past year or so, the DTC-60 and DTC-70, which are claimed to be even more rotor friendly than HT-10s. I'm going to give the DTC-70s a try after I run out of HT-10s.
Old 12-16-2008, 09:48 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,609 Likes on 836 Posts

DTC60/DTC70 Hawks are better than 10s/14s. Better warm up cycle, better on rotors, and better initial bite & modulation IMO. Blacks IMO are very similar to the new DTC's.
Old 12-16-2008, 11:29 AM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

As VR said the DTC 60/70 is a better pad than the HT10/14. I have ran all of these combos in some form of a racecar or another. If you have to go Hawk the DTC series is the only ones to choose from. They are similar to the Pagid Blacks but I did like the Hawks better than the Pagids.

And as I have said over on the GT3 forums many times I still prefer the PFC pads over any of the combos above. I have switched from PFCs to Hawks/Pagids and I always go back to the PFCs. They always seem to last the best down to the backing plates. The performance never changes on them through out their life cycle. They brakes just as well as when you put them on as when you take them off. They are not sensitive to bedding in. PFC just released their newest compound to the public, the PFC 06. We ran these at the 13 Hour of VIR. With new pads starting with qualifying, we ran the same set the whole race on the E36 BMW. When we were finished there was still about half a pad left. The stopping of the PFC 06 on the car was very similar to the performance of the 01s we run on the World Challenge cars and my GT3. They are easier on the rotors than the 01s and they last a long time. I would personally look into them as I think you will like them
Old 12-16-2008, 11:38 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Seth Thomas
As VR said the DTC 60/70 is a better pad than the HT10/14. I have ran all of these combos in some form of a racecar or another. If you have to go Hawk the DTC series is the only ones to choose from. They are similar to the Pagid Blacks but I did like the Hawks better than the Pagids.

And as I have said over on the GT3 forums many times I still prefer the PFC pads over any of the combos above. I have switched from PFCs to Hawks/Pagids and I always go back to the PFCs. They always seem to last the best down to the backing plates. The performance never changes on them through out their life cycle. They brake just as well as when you put them on as when you take them off. They are not sensitive to bedding in. PFC just released their newest compound to the public, the PFC 06. We ran these at the 13 Hour of VIR. With new pads starting with qualifying, we ran the same set the whole race on the E36 BMW. When we were finished there was still about half a pad left. The stopping of the PFC 06 on the car was very similar to the performance of the 01s we run on the World Challenge cars and my GT3. They are easier on the rotors than the 01s and they last a long time. I would personally look into them as I think you will like them

Completely concur, especially with the bold italic stuff above. Also, when my current PFC01's wear out, I will be replacing them with the 06's.
Old 12-16-2008, 11:50 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Alright, I'm sold. Will try the PFC06's.
Old 12-16-2008, 11:52 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Tim, is the rumor I heard true: namely, that BMW Club lost the Memorial Day weekend at Barbers for next year, and will run in August instead??
Old 12-16-2008, 11:55 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Tim, is the rumor I heard true: namely, that BMW Club lost the Memorial Day weekend at Barbers for next year, and will run in August instead??
True!
Old 12-16-2008, 11:59 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Crap. Alabama in August? Nofa king way.

Quick Reply: Brake pad comparisons Pagid orange vs Black vs Hawk HT-10/14