Sponsored by:

defNder, new H&N

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 02:11 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any safety device needs to be a part of a whole. The sled tests only prove that if you are in an offset Church Pew Wreck you should skip the Hans. The less sensitive to the whole the parts are the better. I seem remember that in one thread a good while back this came up. Seems the Hans poped out on one side but only after soaking up enough energy to produce good "numbers" (This might have been in a frontal I can't search well from this computer).
Given all the back and forth it looks like the go to right now, Defender aside is the R3. It looks to be is less sensitive to the rest of the system and passes the evil SFI 38.1. What are the downsides to the R3 for most people?

Why do I get the feeling that H&D will be making something that looks like the Defender and the Hans had kids in a year or two?
Old 12-15-2008, 02:32 PM
lipamax
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc

...It's a very good device, but IMHO it's not everything it's made out to be.
H&D 'jumped the shark' a while ago and it's now become a marketing driven business, again IMHO.
My primary concern is the achilles heel in the design (coming out from under the belts in an off axis hit), if not properly acknowledged and addressed (double shoulder belts, full containment seat, etc) , will lead to an injury that may have been avoided.
Nothing singled out against the HANS, but most designs have similar issues..it is the nature of design and the laws of physics.
It is becoming a common conception that just 'putting on a HANS device' is the answer. No, it is part of the answer.
IMHO it's all about marketing... and HANS jumped on it at the right time (like you sad). Personally I don't want to rely on the belts. Just picture HANS at the secondary side impact when belts becomes a bit loose/stretched...
I'm happy with R3, unfortunately had a chance to test it and it works!
My .02c
Old 12-15-2008, 02:43 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by kurt M
Any safety device needs to be a part of a whole. The sled tests only prove that if you are in an offset Church Pew Wreck you should skip the Hans. The less sensitive to the whole the parts are the better. I seem remember that in one thread a good while back this came up. Seems the Hans poped out on one side but only after soaking up enough energy to produce good "numbers" (This might have been in a frontal I can't search well from this computer).
When it comes to numbers, let's not overlook how H&D tend to think of its customers and crash test data results:
https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...t-results.html

"What's more, rest assured we have never published our best results. Why? We figure that providing typical results is simply the best way of presenting safety products to racers"

I wonder what their 'worst' results look like? I have a funny feeling I know. It's nice that you don't have to report every test result....I believe that's called 'filtering' or 'cherry picking'.

Given all the back and forth it looks like the go to right now, Defender aside is the R3. It looks to be is less sensitive to the rest of the system and passes the evil SFI 38.1. What are the downsides to the R3 for most people?

Why do I get the feeling that H&D will be making something that looks like the Defender and the Hans had kids in a year or two?
How about the offspring of an R3 and a Hans. (and we stay with SFI38.1 compliance)...the Hutchens Hybrid:
http://www.lfttech.com/cgi-bin/Item....ShowItem&id=79

Or the Hybrid X (designed for improved side impact protection):
http://www.lfttech.com/cgi-bin/Item....ShowItem&id=84
Old 12-15-2008, 02:50 PM
lipamax
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

The R3 Head and neck restraint device is a device for protecting race car drivers in the event of an accident by controlling head movement, reducing head and neck injuries due to whiplash. It consists of a carbon fiber cross which is worn like a vest. The cross goes against the drivers back and Kevlar straps hold it on. These are clipped at the front. The top of the cross has straps which attach with clips to the helmet.

The R3 has passed SFI 38.1 testing and has some of the best angular impact test scores of any Head and Neck Restraints. It hasn't passed the FIA test because that test can only be passed by a HANS device.
Old 12-15-2008, 02:52 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by lipamax
The R3 has passed SFI 38.1 testing and has some of the best angular impact test scores of any Head and Neck Restraints. It hasn't passed the FIA test because that test can only be passed by a HANS device.
That's because the test/spec is written around the HANS device.
It's easy to get 100's on your exams when you get to write them.
Old 12-15-2008, 03:20 PM
gbaker
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lipamax
IIRC, there is no test in the FIA spec. No performance is required.
Old 12-15-2008, 03:26 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
Or the Hybrid X (designed for improved side impact protection):
http://www.lfttech.com/cgi-bin/Item....ShowItem&id=84
I actually think that someone could use the Hybrid X as an example of a 38.1 device that may not be a good idea in wheel to wheel racing.

IIRC the head movement is extremely limited and I believe that one of my conversations with the guys at Safety Solutions said that the device should only be used in drag racing where they don't have to look to the side for anything.

It's a really nice device though and it will definitely keep your head attached to the body.
Old 12-15-2008, 04:18 PM
mojom3
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just read about the lawsuit by HANS against the manufacturer of the defndr.
See Autoweek
http://www.autoweek.com/article/20081215/FREE/812159974
Old 12-15-2008, 06:41 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by mojom3
Just read about the lawsuit by HANS against the manufacturer of the defndr.
See Autoweek
http://www.autoweek.com/article/20081215/FREE/812159974
See post 39 and 75 in this thread.
Old 12-15-2008, 08:40 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by LVDell
See post 39 and 75 in this thread.
That is a very polite way of saying Enzo.
Old 12-15-2008, 08:54 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Figured I'd restrain in this holiday season
Old 12-16-2008, 01:35 AM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 144 Likes on 90 Posts

What are the downsides to the R3 for most people?
I haven't used and R3 but i wonder about having to think about mounting my fixed seat 1" further back to accomodate the foam needed to accomodate the klingon spine thingy of carbon fiber
Old 12-16-2008, 07:53 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

FWIW, when the R3 first came out, it was mentioned that it could be used for karting (since karts don't have belts nor cages....at least not proper sprint karts)

AFAIK and saw, no one ever used them, due to the fiberglass seats and the spinal protection part of the R3 being a fitment/comfort issue.

The Leatt brace is becoming the de facto alternative to a foam neck collar (ironically, Leatt originally had zero interest in karting, only motocross. That has changed and now has a karting dealer network and has become a sponsor of the IRL Snap on Stars Of Karting Series)

However, IIRC, there are a few members of this forum who have made the R3 work in their cars and also wear them while instructing (with a 3 point).
Old 12-16-2008, 08:40 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

I would definitely be after an R3 if the DE/instructing route were where I was going...

OTOH, since a low-profile lay-down (or at least, well-reclined) formula car/sports racer is where I'm going - I doubt the R3 would work in that environment. Do they have anything other than vertical/straight braces?

Still, it seems to be an also-ran to the HANS, ISAAC, and deFender... so I'd have trouble going for one of those. I am interested to hear just how well a deFender would work in a fairly flat car; don't have to sign up for a new device just yet, but sure it's on the horizon...
Old 12-16-2008, 08:57 AM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 924RACR
I would definitely be after an R3 if the DE/instructing route were where I was going...

OTOH, since a low-profile lay-down (or at least, well-reclined) formula car/sports racer is where I'm going - I doubt the R3 would work in that environment. Do they have anything other than vertical/straight braces?

Still, it seems to be an also-ran to the HANS, ISAAC, and deFender... so I'd have trouble going for one of those. I am interested to hear just how well a deFender would work in a fairly flat car; don't have to sign up for a new device just yet, but sure it's on the horizon...

An FF2000 Pro Series driver just picked an R3 up at PRI and should be giving feedback. However if the Swift you picked up is anything like some of the others I've sat in they are pretty reclined even for a formula car.

Sidenote, at teh Stars of Karting event at PRI, only 1 junior driver used a Leatt. 3 Masters drivers did. A few foam collars and lots of exposed necks.

Quick Reply: defNder, new H&N