Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

defNder, new H&N

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 12:47 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

This device looks great. Glad to see some type of harness guides.

I wonder if the lawsuit's been filed by Hans yet. I've downloaded the Hans patents but haven't had the time to read them.
Old 12-09-2008, 01:25 PM
gbaker
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jim,

I believe the Delphi Fz baseline is closer to 6,000N for the 30 degree offset test.

Trivial as it is not a product.
Old 12-09-2008, 01:34 PM
JimLill
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
I wonder if the lawsuit's been filed by Hans yet. I've downloaded the Hans patents but haven't had the time to read them.
I did before buying one as I didn't what to find out some approval was going to be pulled due to lawsuits etc. I can't see where any patent has been violated.
Old 12-09-2008, 01:48 PM
gbaker
Three Wheelin'

The original patent was issued ~1988, so it may have expired.
Old 12-09-2008, 01:54 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by gbaker
The original patent was issued ~1988, so it may have expired.
Good point (1987 actually, so the first is definitely expired). They have at least 7 patents as late as 2006, but again I haven't reviewed.

I'll say it's really nice to see a competing hans-type device.
Old 12-09-2008, 02:31 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill N
Looks pretty good...I particularly like the harness guides. I'm always checking the harnesses on my HANS, fearing they will slip off.
Hi Bill
Are you using narrow upper harness straps? Does the Hans yoke have a retaining 'lip' on the outside? If so, seems like they should stay on fine.
Of course, I haven't crash tested mine (and hope to never have that experience).
Merry Christmas to you and yours.
Old 12-10-2008, 06:45 PM
JimLill
Cruisin'

HNR.html updated, still work to do
Old 12-10-2008, 07:18 PM
Bill N
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RickBetterley
Hi Bill
Are you using narrow upper harness straps? Does the Hans yoke have a retaining 'lip' on the outside? If so, seems like they should stay on fine.
Of course, I haven't crash tested mine (and hope to never have that experience).
Merry Christmas to you and yours.
Hey, Rick, all the best of the season to you all, too. No, and no. Actually, I think it's just me being overly cautious. I'm pretty sure there's no problem, unless I don't have the harness tight enough. Mind you, I don't think the Hans would work anyway if the harness weren't tight...so...I tighten it well, and imagine it would all work out fine. We'll find out should I have the "opportunity" to really test it...

Cheers
Bill
Old 12-11-2008, 02:15 AM
95m3racer
Pro

PRESS RELEASE
HANS Files Patent Infringement Suit

Last update: 6:58 p.m. EST Dec. 10, 2008
ATLANTA, Dec 10, 2008 /PRNewswire via COMTEX/ -- HANS Performance Products "HANS", manufacturers of the multiple award winning HANS Device, has filed a patent infringement suit in the District Court for the Southern District of California against Innovative Safety Technology, LLC.
In the suit, HANS alleges that the defendant's defNder G70 product infringes U.S. Patent No. 6,009,566. HANS is seeking damages, injunctive and other relief.
"We and our licensees have invested significantly in the invention, innovation and continued development of proprietary head and neck restraint technologies," said Mark Stiles, Chief Executive Officer of HANS Performance Products. "When others make use of our patented technology, we will always take aggressive action to protect our investment, including the enforcement of our legal rights."
The HANS Device is a safety product worn by racecar drivers to help protect against life threatening basilar skull injuries of the type that are acknowledged to have killed stock car racing legend Dale Earnhardt in 2001. With more than 65,000 users, the industry leading HANS Device is the most tried, tested and trusted head and neck restraint worldwide. The uniqueness of its intellectual property and the company's leading contribution to motorsports safety was most recently recognized by the presentation of the Society of Automotive Engineer's 2008 Motorsports Engineering Award.
HANS is represented by the law firm Ballard Spahr Andrews & Ingersoll, LLP.
The HANS Device is the #1 choice for performance, #1 for vision and #1 for winners.
Details and information about HANS Performance Products are available at www.hansdevice.com or by calling 1-888-HANS-999 or 770-457-1046.
HANS, the Safetyform shape and their derivative styles are trademarks of HANS Performance Products
SOURCE HANS Performance Products
Old 12-11-2008, 10:42 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Uh, oh....someone angered the 800# gorilla.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:37 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Personally, I don't know why anyone would buy anything other than a HANs at this point. It is extremely simple, comfortable and proven.
Old 12-11-2008, 01:04 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
Personally, I don't know why anyone would buy anything other than a HANs at this point. It is extremely simple, comfortable and proven.
Why does anyone buy a Mac vs a PC?

The HANS isn't perfect (it has been redesigned numerous times to try and keep itself under the belts, and they still haven't solved it), it's just a marketing monopoly machine.

I was under the impression that ANY SFI38.1 certified H&N restraint should be more than adequate to protect you, so why do other SFI 38.1 devices exist?

That having been said, it is the obvious choice for a H&N restraint.
Old 12-11-2008, 02:40 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I've never had problems keeping the belts on my HANS or the HANS under my belts.
Old 12-11-2008, 03:28 PM
gbaker
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by LVDell
I've never had problems keeping the belts on my HANS or the HANS under my belts.
Were you crashing?

PRI should be fun this week.
Old 12-11-2008, 03:44 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by LVDell
As Gregg pointed out, the issue is keeping the HANS under the belts in anything other than a straight on impact (belt dump/stretch issues aside and assuming proper initial geometry)

H&D have worked this issue on multiple (I lost count) occasions, wings, no wings, bigger wings, friction material, no friction material, 3" shoulder belts, 3-2" HANS specific shoulder belts (which ironically they said were not necessary...not a surprising statement), and finally the dual shoulder belt system.
They are up against Sir Isaac and they're not going to win.

Again, not trying to start a H&N restraint jihad, I own a HANS, Isaac and a Leatt (son's); just as an engineer the issue H&D are dancing around is quite obvious.

But, any discussion regarding H&N restraints, SFI38.1, etc is good for everyone. A few years back, there was none.

Quick Reply: defNder, new H&N