Sponsored by:

Factory Five questions.

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 11:05 AM
CT03911
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Factory Five questions.

Anyone here have any feedback on this company, pro or con http://www.factoryfive.com/gtmhome.html

I happen to have a friend who is involved in some testing on this car, the GTM-R race version and another friend who is most competent with all things Corvette- the basis mechanically for this car.

This combination of friends and some recent reading I've been doing has got my mental wheels turning. It sounds if this car could be built as a street legal two seater that could go to the track and be amazing.

Somewhere around 2300lbs without driver and maybe go with the 2006 Corvette motor at 405hp. Perhaps the whole package done for 55k or so.

I am considering the possibilities, not the least being how hard is it really to build. The factory is 2:15 from my house. Sell the GT3, take a year off to build this and have a remarkable track toy.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
Dennis
Old 11-11-2008, 11:42 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

I have heard nothing but great things about Factory Five, always thought they used Ford drive trains (but maybe just in the Cobra and GT replicas). With the Cobra I believe you can buy it almost completed, you should check on that aspect for this car when you visit them. I see something like this in my future also. Rotors - $50, Alternator - $50 at NAPA, etc. etc. etc....

Hmm, factory is in Wareham, MA? I wouldn't mind getting a tour myself...
Old 11-11-2008, 12:21 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Through a friend of a friend I know of one being built in Millbrook, NY.

This was from 11 months ago:

Old 11-11-2008, 05:11 PM
Russ Murphy
Drifting

Hmm, not sure I'd want to climb into that and drive fast. The frame doesn't look particularly robust from my amatuer viewpoint. How about it, you chassis engineer types? I had envisioned more structure, shear panels,etc.
Old 11-11-2008, 05:47 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Gallery of frame pictures:

http://www.factoryfive.com/gtm/galle...s/gallery.html
Old 11-11-2008, 06:00 PM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A mediocre attempt at a Mosler, IMO.

http://www.moslerauto.com/

Old 11-11-2008, 06:18 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Originally Posted by Chads996
A mediocre attempt at a Mosler, IMO.
Umm...$329,000 compared to a $40,000 "build at home" supercar.

Awful comparison.
Old 11-11-2008, 06:40 PM
Russ Murphy
Drifting

Thanks for the link to the frame pic gallery. Looks lots better to my untrained eye when you can see the whole thing (No kidding, huh.)

Seems like it could be a pretty fun project, not to mention fun to drive.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:15 PM
jrotsaert
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CT03911
Anyone here have any feedback on this company, pro or con http://www.factoryfive.com/gtmhome.html

I happen to have a friend who is involved in some testing on this car, the GTM-R race version and another friend who is most competent with all things Corvette- the basis mechanically for this car.

This combination of friends and some recent reading I've been doing has got my mental wheels turning. It sounds if this car could be built as a street legal two seater that could go to the track and be amazing.

Somewhere around 2300lbs without driver and maybe go with the 2006 Corvette motor at 405hp. Perhaps the whole package done for 55k or so.

I am considering the possibilities, not the least being how hard is it really to build. The factory is 2:15 from my house. Sell the GT3, take a year off to build this and have a remarkable track toy.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
Dennis
All I've been reading about FFR is good. Most forums say that the car you're looking at however costs 100k to build. I'm seriously considering doing the Cobra... could be really fun to do the project and drive it after...
Old 11-11-2008, 07:54 PM
RSchoeni
Instructor

Originally Posted by CT03911
Anyone here have any feedback on this company, pro or con
Dennis,
I track a ffr roadster, that I built, five years ago. Backordered components, have been a source of problems for some bulders. In my case, backordered parts were shipped promptly. Seems like many builders are mating a G50 to a Chevy LS-X . Get the barebones GTM kit, so that you can spec your own brakes, suspension, seats, harnesses etc. The ability to weld, will be helpful too.

I'd suggest driving one before you give up your GT3.

http://www.ffcobra.com/forums/showthread.php?t=200285

_____
bs
Old 11-11-2008, 10:58 PM
CT03911
Banned

I am going to the Factory Five headquarters in Wareham, MA tomorrow. The friend I spoke of is a director of the American V8 racing series and is now involved with Factory Five too.

http://www.av8ss.com/gtm_autosports.htm

(see pics: the "Wounded Warrior" wrap on the car is cool)

He told me you could build a street legal yet race ready version for 55k. They have one for testing, development and demo's.
I hope to drive it maybe next month. Many web sites seem to suggest this completed cost figure is true. There are guys building some that undoubtably have more money in them and of course the resale would be $75k plus....maybe...after all - you supply the labor and source the parts.
Interesting concept. The Car and Driver road test was glowing and the performance numbers are Enzo/Saleen territory.

The other guys I spoke of are the Moroso group in Guilford, CT

http://www.moroso.com/default.asp

They are Corvette addicts but performance product designers above all and their company could assist in sourcing and building.

I'll go see what it is all about. I love the GT3 but I am just really curious about this car. Raw, insanely fast, sweet looking. The downside is building it. Or maybe that is the upside :-)
Old 11-11-2008, 11:53 PM
DanR
Drifting

nice but if you go that route it would have to be an Ultima!
Old 11-12-2008, 12:18 AM
Johninrsf
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Speaking from experience:

Pluses:
Fun project
Exhilarating ride (lotsa wind and noise from the V8 and side pipes)
great acceleration for street drags
car looks great, has always been a head turner, but getting a little trite now

Minuses
You'll never be able to sell the car for what you put into it. What's the old saying--"when building something, expect to pay twice as much and take twice as long"? This may exaggerate a little but you will pay more than you expect!!
The guy you sell your Porsche to will fly by you on the track thru the corners with your old car--you'll never be close to the lap times you could do in your Porsche
John Morton once told me, "the Cobra is the worst handling car I've ever driven". I can attest --it ain't an easy car to drive fast!
God help you if you have an accident in one. I was at Willow Springs once when a Cobra had an encounter with a Mustang. The Cobra driver said he saw the Mustang's undercarriage as it sailed over him and took out everything from his windshield forward. He was a very lucky man.
At Buttonwillow the year before last, a Factory Five driver (the leader of the event) died when he hit a car in front of him and did an endo.
You don't want to be in an accident in this car IMO!
Old 11-12-2008, 12:22 AM
Johninrsf
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.zoominfo.com/people/Lawso...271420775.aspx
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpg2BiE4TvU
Old 11-12-2008, 12:58 AM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,169 Likes on 1,226 Posts

Originally Posted by Johninrsf
John Morton once told me, "the Cobra is the worst handling car I've ever driven". I can attest --it ain't an easy car to drive fast!
God help you if you have an accident in one. I was at Willow Springs once when a Cobra had an encounter with a Mustang. The Cobra driver said he saw the Mustang's undercarriage as it sailed over him and took out everything from his windshield forward. He was a very lucky man.
At Buttonwillow the year before last, a Factory Five driver (the leader of the event) died when he hit a car in front of him and did an endo.
You don't want to be in an accident in this car IMO!
He's not looking to buy the Cobra

The FFR spec racer is just as safe / dangerous as any other race car. It's a full tube frame chassis with a built in cage.
People who race 100% real cobra's with just the roll-over hoop and no additional cage are nuts when most other guys in Group 6 are running full cages and a ton of HP. Even with that, the driver of the original Cobra involved in the Group 6 pile-up at Road America walked away (he did have a broken bone or two) after bouncing off a few things at over 100mph.

There are some well documented cases of FFR Cobra's (street versions) rolling over with the passenger's walking away. I can find you cases where people died while racing in a Porsche.

Going fast is dangerous no matter what you are driving.

As for the handing. A friend of mine has an original Cobra and would agree with John Morton. Which is why when he wants to go fast he fires up the Factory Five Cobra in the garage next to the real one.

Quick Reply: Factory Five questions.