Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Acceptable brake pad thickness for track?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 10:49 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Interesting. I stand corrected. A bunch of guys I know with 996 GT3's get rear wear that is faster than front. I assumed it was common across other 911 series as well.
No experience with the new fangled water pumpers here, so there may be differences with them. I do think I have heard of some different wear patterns with cars that have PSM, etc., but that wouldn't include GT3s.
Old 10-18-2008, 11:07 PM
brucegre
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting. I stand corrected. A bunch of guys I know with 996 GT3's get rear wear that is faster than front. I assumed it was common across other 911 series as well.
VR, are you sure you don't mean the 997? I'm like every other 911 with my 996 GT3, at least 2:1 front to rear, but the 997's chew up the rears if any of the nannies are left on, the TC is kicking in all the time.
Old 10-18-2008, 11:56 PM
CT03911
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not running PFC's and my car is a GT3 but did want to jump in here and mention this. Was replacing front rotors and bleeding to prep the car. The Pagid 29/14 setup was clearly at or just above 50% so wasn't going to do pads. I wanted to run the new rotors on the "old" pads first for a few days.

When I got the front calipers off and checked the pad faces as best I could I saw one pad with two cracks the width of the pad and another with one all the way across. Would have to pull all the pads to see how bad they really are.

Not good and surprising I thought. Guess I cannot go by thickness alone anymore. Pads come off next day I'm home now, all four corners.
Old 10-19-2008, 01:13 AM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

As a tech guy at our local DE's, we require at least 50% of pad material to start the event. We may admittedly be a bit conservative in that reqiurement, but it's our prerogative after all.

It's very subjective though, because we don't remove the wheels and measure the thickness, and we all know certain pads last longer than others - but I would not allow someone on track at the begining of the day if they only had ~2mm of pad left.

EDIT: As said above, when the pads get super thin, you can't tell how evenly worn they are. When you have 5mm+ of pad, that's far less likely to happen.
Old 10-19-2008, 10:11 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,564 Likes on 822 Posts

Originally Posted by brucegre
VR, are you sure you don't mean the 997? I'm like every other 911 with my 996 GT3, at least 2:1 front to rear, but the 997's chew up the rears if any of the nannies are left on, the TC is kicking in all the time.
Boy, maybe it was. Now I am trying to remember the conversations I had with them. At least 2 of them had 6GT3's and went to 7GT3's, so maybe you are correct.

Here's a cookie for Larry Herman:

Old 10-19-2008, 10:18 AM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rich Sandor
...when the pads get super thin, you can't tell how evenly worn they are. When you have 5mm+ of pad, that's far less likely to happen.
True. That's why I removed all of the pads at all four corners and measured them around all sides. I found thickness values on the rear pads from 3.5mm on the low side to about 5.25 on the high side.

As a side note, I run SRF fluid.
Old 10-19-2008, 10:32 AM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CT03911

When I got the front calipers off and checked the pad faces as best I could I saw one pad with two cracks the width of the pad and another with one all the way across. Would have to pull all the pads to see how bad they really are.

Not good and surprising I thought. Guess I cannot go by thickness alone anymore. Pads come off next day I'm home now, all four corners.
Cracks are common if they heat up to quickly or if bed in procedure isn't done right.
Old 10-19-2008, 11:40 AM
TR6
Drifting

When I ran Pagid Orange pads, I had tons of cracks. PFC's seem to have fewer. I've never had a problem with them.
Old 10-19-2008, 11:52 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by brucegre
I do recall a friend with a 997 GT3 remarking about his surprise that his rears were wearing more quickly than his fronts (his previous car was a 964 Cup), and complaining that the rears were the most difficult to replace.
Old 10-19-2008, 12:06 PM
good hands
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

My 88 Carrera track car has always used rear over fronts about 2 to 1. I've always chalked it up to the size difference between the pads.
(stock setup )
Old 10-19-2008, 12:10 PM
Todsimpson
Racer

The '84-'89 Carreras have the least front bias of any 911, by a good margin. The proportioning valve takes that away under heavy braking, so I could see (and have heard) of those cars going through rears faster than the fronts particularly if a novice driver was using the brakes lightly. The rear pads are a lot smaller than the front and the bias is 1.3 to 1 F to R.

964's are 1.7 to 1 F to R bias and the newer cars are likely in that range or even more front biased.

To the OP's point, I would run those pads as well and maybe swap before day two.
Old 10-19-2008, 12:15 PM
Todsimpson
Racer

OK, I typed my response before I saw Scott's...so even experienced, fast drivers can wear the rears faster than the fronts on the '84-'89 Carreras.
Old 10-19-2008, 03:04 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 64 Posts

I can verify this. due to my even tougher racing budget this season, i was forced to put on used pads with about 7-9mm of pad thickness left (pagids)
in the past, ive always pulled them at 7mm (about half way gone) This was done for two reasons. the pad being thinner transfers more heat to the calipers AND, cant get rid of the heat as wel, thus are not as effective in braking force.

Ive heard that others are good to the backing plates. Hawks Ht10s, and the new cobalts. Ill probably try them next season.

my verification that the thin pads dont work was at my last race at laguna. I was at about 5-7mm and they just didnt stop the car. pulling them off found totall destroyed pads that crumbled in your hands .

mk

Again, Pagids CANNOT be run down that far safely. PFC's can, and may be unique in this.
Old 10-19-2008, 04:43 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,654 Likes on 2,325 Posts

i pull the pads out when the pad material is equal to or thinner then the backing plate.
for ref: i run Rs29 or RS19's.

on cayman S, 996c2, 996gt3, i need two sets of front pads for each set of rear pads.

for 997GT3, front and rear wear almost equal, but i still get just a tad quicker wear than front. i keep TC off and i dont feel TC coming back on even i get the car a tad too sideways than i like. i think if you wear the rear faster than front, you are triggering the TC too much?

i dont find my thinner older pads less effective than new ones. but i bleed for every track day. when i bleed, i need 1/2 bottle of motul 600, so i guess you can consider that a half flush.
Old 10-19-2008, 05:20 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 64 Posts

If they are pagid oranges and they are not crumbling in your hands when you pull the pads, you arent standing on the brakes enough, and they would probably work fine . if you look at my pads at equal the backing plate (ie 5mm) they are toast, literally. Ive heard that pagid blacks , hawks HT10s and cobalts are fine til the last drop.
mk

Originally Posted by mooty
i pull the pads out when the pad material is equal to or thinner then the backing plate.
for ref: i run Rs29 or RS19's.

on cayman S, 996c2, 996gt3, i need two sets of front pads for each set of rear pads.

for 997GT3, front and rear wear almost equal, but i still get just a tad quicker wear than front. i keep TC off and i dont feel TC coming back on even i get the car a tad too sideways than i like. i think if you wear the rear faster than front, you are triggering the TC too much?

i dont find my thinner older pads less effective than new ones. but i bleed for every track day. when i bleed, i need 1/2 bottle of motul 600, so i guess you can consider that a half flush.

Quick Reply: Acceptable brake pad thickness for track?