Sponsored by:

Aiptek + Filmtools Cleat mount

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 10:48 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Aiptek + Filmtools Cleat mount

Some video footage from a wet track this weekend using the above setup: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5mr1nY_OJE

Not bad for a camera setup that costs $275 total.
Old 09-17-2008, 12:34 AM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

nice vid.

question about the cleat mount and the aiptek. Where do you place the mount and can the camera be place upright?

Thanks,
-Paul
Old 09-18-2008, 09:33 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Paul,

I've placed the camera in two positions so far, up front under the rearview mirror and on the rear window near the headliner. The mount has enough adjustment that you could probably mount it right side up, but I find it easier to mount it upside down and then flip it using software. The major problem is the wind. Not only does it drown out the sound if you mount it in the rear, but it also makes the camera vibrate.

Here are some vids from yesterday that demonstrate the two positions and the effect of wind at high speeds:

Windshield cam: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbOlqL0rshA&fmt=6

Cockpit cam: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50x1Fx2xP0U&fmt=6

DVD quality versions of half-sessions:

http://www.fcracer.com/gt3/mosport-s...ion-3-half.mov (600mb)

http://www.fcracer.com/gt3/mosport-s...ion-4-half.mov (300mb)
Old 09-18-2008, 11:12 PM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

FC,

I see what you mean about how placing the camera in the back window introduces a vibration. I have a bit of the vibration as well. I am using a suction mount from panavise that I borrowed from a buddy to try out.

I plan to look around under the back shelf area for any suitable areas to secure a mount directly to some sheet metal.
Old 01-16-2009, 02:09 PM
SharkSkin
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I am looking at the cleat mount for an Aiptek camera, and I'm wondering about the range of adjustment on the articulated portion, as well as the rigidity. filmtools.com has a video on their site where the mount was used on the underside of a boat, which seems impressive -- maybe the rigidity is a no-brainer.

WRT the articulation, it looks to me as if the main swivel can move 360° and each of the two remaining joints can move > 180°. True? This is important to me as I want to mount the camera to the inside of my rear window and I want it to be as high as possible so I can see the road in front of the car. The higher-end units like this one will fix the camera at a certain height, giving me no options in that regard.
Old 01-16-2009, 10:13 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Before I had a cage, I used The Gripper http://www.filmtools.com/gripper-302...era-mount.html which is a larger version of the cleat. It has more adjustability, and allows you to mount the camera on the back window with it right-side-up. It is very sturdy, and you really don't much camera bounce.

Here is some video I shot with my Aiptek A-hd and using The Gripper mounted to the rear window.

http://www.vimeo.com/1261038

You can improve the sound a little bit by taking the cover off the microphone, putting a piece of felt over the mic, and then putting the cover back on. It just slides off. It also helps to put some masking tape over the microphone cover.
Old 01-17-2009, 12:36 AM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

For the cockpit cam, it's odd that it can't see over the dash. Is it all the way up? \Needs to be about 4 inches higher.

Quality looks pretty good, and not too "jiggly".
Old 01-17-2009, 02:08 AM
SharkSkin
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mglobe
Before I had a cage, I used The Gripper http://www.filmtools.com/gripper-302...era-mount.html which is a larger version of the cleat. It has more adjustability, and allows you to mount the camera on the back window with it right-side-up. It is very sturdy, and you really don't much camera bounce.

Here is some video I shot with my Aiptek A-hd and using The Gripper mounted to the rear window.

http://www.vimeo.com/1261038

You can improve the sound a little bit by taking the cover off the microphone, putting a piece of felt over the mic, and then putting the cover back on. It just slides off. It also helps to put some masking tape over the microphone cover.
I like that, thanks for the pointer. I already have one of those articulated arms that I use on my Benbo Trekker. Very stout, very adjustable. I kept seeing mini ball heads like this one on their site and completely overlooked that one. I measured and if the cup is truly 6" or less in diameter it will just fit between the top defrost element and the seal. Can you tell me what the actual installed footprint is?

My camera has a mic jack so I was thinking of taping one of these inside my bumper cover above the exhaust tips.

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
For the cockpit cam, it's odd that it can't see over the dash. Is it all the way up? \Needs to be about 4 inches higher.

Quality looks pretty good, and not too "jiggly".
Give him a break, someone stole his engine and shortened his hood -- that's why the hood isn't visible in the vid.
Old 01-17-2009, 03:10 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by SharkSkin
...My camera has a mic jack so I was thinking of taping one of these inside my bumper cover above the exhaust tips.
Nice find!! 20 foot cord too. Thanks for the link.
Old 01-17-2009, 06:26 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 112 Posts

Here is an Aiptek shot at lowest res, mounted on an ioport mount on my roll bar. Since then, I've put o a wide angle lens, and it is enough to see the entire windshield and my dash.

http://www.veoh.com/videos/v15788802za6MAGJw
Old 01-18-2009, 02:59 AM
SharkSkin
Rennlist Member

I called filmtools.com earlier today, they say the pad is 6-1/8" in diameter when attached, so it will fit. I ought to have that and the mic by mid-week, will be building a "frankencharger" soon. Thanks again for the heads-up on the mount Mike, I'll post a video when I have one.
Old 01-25-2009, 11:54 PM
SharkSkin
Rennlist Member

Well, I bought the gripper 3025 and it didn't allow me to mount the camera right side up, at least not with the cup mounted near the top of the glass, clear of the defroster element. I gues my rear window is too close to horizontal for that. I took the articulated arm off my trekker and between the two I was able to position the camera where it could see forward, but there was a LOT of shake(because of the cantilever effect o the two articulated sections, I suppose).

I took the cup off of the arm and attached a tripod quick-release to the 3/8" threads with a couple of washers. Amazingly enough, the camera is in a perfect position now, though upside down. Easy enough to flip the video later though. I'll get some footage on YouTube and post it later.

The microphone that I linked above is not working with the Aiptek GVS cam, though it works fine with my laptop. When I look inside the mic jack, there are several contacts in there so maybe I just need an adapter.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:15 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Sorry to hear that didn't work out better. I don't think I ever worried about the defroster element. I just suctioned the thing to the rear window and drove. You might try that. The thing holds VERY tightly.
Old 01-26-2009, 12:47 PM
SharkSkin
Rennlist Member

Putting it lower on the window puts it much further to the rear, to the point that I get a narrow view between the front seats. Mounting straight to the cup seems to put the cam in the perfect position, and is rock-solid. I'm going to experiment a bit more around town. I can always use the articulated arm for something -- I'm a bit of a shutterbug.

BTW, I talked to support and the Aiptek GVS wants a stereo mic -- I'm going to try to find an adapter.
Old 01-30-2009, 02:42 AM
SharkSkin
Rennlist Member

Well, I've posted a video of my camera mounting tests. I'm very happy with the initial results, and will straighten and firm up the mounting as well as explore microphone and power options. If you click the video after it starts to go to the YouTube page, there will be a link at the bottom right just below the vid to view it in HD.

Thanks Mike, for steering me toward the larger 6" cup. I'm sure it helped.

Quick Reply: Aiptek + Filmtools Cleat mount