Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maverick PCA at MSR (3.1) Sept 20-21

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 10:33 PM
amondc
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good meeting you CJ nice to put a face with the name... I tried to hang with you but the street tires just couldnt make it happen...next time I will put on the Toyo's and we can have some fun.

Chris
Old 09-21-2008, 10:50 PM
rickdm
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

btw if anyone knows the guy in the 997 TT (cobalt) and 997 GT3 (white)- tell them to move themselves to blue solo. made a mockery of passing rules! LET ME BY in my slowmentum car!!! RED MIST!!!!!
CJ, I'm afraid that's life in a Miata. I have taken my stock Miata out when the 911 is in the shop and I have seen folks pit in rather than me give a point by. Craig is one of the faster guys in White in his Spec Miata, and I think he a had a similar experience this weekend. Think of it as a patience test.
Old 09-21-2008, 10:55 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,224 Likes on 599 Posts

weekend summary for me

Sat morning - dude I rule!

after session 1 - mommy, where's my mommy!
after session 2 - sh*t, maybe I need to go back to Blue...
after ride with George A - Hmmm, I must really suck at this
after session 3 - well, I only had a 3 car train behind me that session
after session 4 - hey, I actually passed someone!!

Sunday morning - I need to find my ballz again

after ride with VR - this M3 really scoots, but has this seat been disinfected? Crabs can't get thru something woven as tight as denim can they?
after session 1 - ok, I think I know where the turns are now
after session 2 - cool, I might actually be able to fake this "White" run group thing
after session 3 - wow, I did that on a corded tire no less? Time to walk like a man again....

Seriously, great track and I learned alot. Props to George A, VR, instructor "Mike", and various others who tolerated 4-5 sessions of my rolling roadblock!
Old 09-21-2008, 11:11 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

I'm sweating my ***** off here in houston, still no power....
Wished I could have gone to the track, sounds like y'all had a great time.
Old 09-21-2008, 11:36 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TT Gasman
Wished I could have gone to the track, sounds like y'all had a great time.
I'm with you Doug, I had the track bug hard this weekend, I wanted out so bad !
I did get some more work on the 44 done though, hopefully I will have it out for some test n tune at the Oct. DE then racing it again soon after.

Viking
Old 09-21-2008, 11:36 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

BTW Doug, I love the new look with the wheels !
Old 09-21-2008, 11:58 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,561 Likes on 821 Posts

Quite the weekend. Great seeing everyone again after so long.

CJ, when that happens, pull into hot pits & berate Joel (or preferably Bob). They'll black flag the mulletheads.

Russell, your getting promoted to White messed up my mojo, since we were gonna ride together in Yellow. I was booked in White already so I never could hook up with you.. Story of our track lives, I guess, but congrats on the promo.

Eugene, as far as you know, my right seat is perfectly sanitary. It needs to be vacuumed, but no crabs as far as you know.
Old 09-21-2008, 11:59 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

VR,

Sorry I missed you on Sunday. My car had some issues so I wasn't able to hit the track. I showed up late in the day to pick up my tires and realized Sunday was tough on 911s. doh!

-td
Old 09-22-2008, 12:07 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Yeah, I wondered, TD. Looked for your this AM, but folks said they hadn't seen you even arrive. Hope all is OK with your car. Raincheck?

Yes, there was a nasty off today in Yellow, sadly. Happened literally right in front of me (I was giving a ride to a White student/reserve instructor who was looking for a better line into Rattlesnake). Thankfully the drover was OK.
Old 09-22-2008, 10:22 AM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Great seeing everyone again after so long.
+1. It was great to see a lot of you after that long drought!

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor

Russell, your getting promoted to White messed up my mojo
No problem; my fault; schedule got messed up. Need to reset for next time!

Great weekend for me - found almost 3 seconds between my Saturday best lap and Sunday best lap. Mostly due to some great instruction from a variety of sources. For a while, it seemed as though the team lead was being a little too rigid with who could do what with whom, but in the end, his help on Sunday was instrumental to my best lap in the subsequent run.

I have a video from my 2-camera video set up that came out pretty cool... will post that soon (having problems with Vimeo recognizing a non-standard aspect ratio). May have to post it on my own web site... but it's worth it. One camera pointed at the track ahead, the other pointed at my hands and feet. (For some reason, mpaton can be heard on both, saying "FLOOR IT!")

Thanks mpaton for Saturday... I suspect a lot of those 3 seconds came on the approach to the hill prior to toilet bowl, and rattlesnake. I haven't looked at specific turns from the data logger yet, but I do know that my fastest lap did NOT include my highest straight-line speed after turn 1. So, I was actually more like 4 seconds faster via improvements in the turns. The video I post later will be from our afternoon run (the lap where you busted me for my lame excuses on the prior lap!)....

George, it was great to meet you in person. Thanks for that ride on Sunday! I subsequently tried your approach to rattlesnake - just once. I hit the curbing pretty hard on the left hander, so I obviously didn't make entry speed adjustments to go with the new line. On the other hand, you set me up for my best run of the weekend, I was able to finish the job of passing David Gross for you... Remember you were chasing him down in the red run? Well he turned up in the white run immediately afterwards, and I slowly closed the gap on him and earned a pass about 3/4 of the way thru the session. Yeah!

One day later, the thing I remember most about the weekend is that as of my last run on Sunday, I was getting higher slip angles through little bend, big bend, ricochet, and few others than I ever thought possible in an AWD. What a great feeling to know that you're steering - with your foot - a car that is supposed to pull you through a turn with the front wheels! I have to come up with another word for "hoot", because that just doesn't describe it anymore!
Old 09-22-2008, 10:29 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,062 Likes on 581 Posts

VR, hopefully now that they finally let me into white I won't have that problem anymore...thanks for setting me up with bryan for the lead-follow evaluation...pros and cons of not having a right seat in the mazda

rick- I definitely had to exercise patience...it was a good lesson and I'm pretty sure the other lesson I learned is to keep the RS at home for PCA DE...on sunday it was much better for me once I started driving with my lights on, people saw me spooling up my 134lb/ft of torque from a bit further away

wednesday and thursday I was getting my Formula 3000 on, pulling 2.8 G's @ infineon. Stepping back into a Miata with one day in between was really cool and immediately kept me up to speed, and gave me an even better feel for where I'm occasionally "charging the corner".

baby steps add up!

about the off in yellow- I really felt bad for Mike and his son Bryce- I'm glad he's okay but sad to see the car damaged so much. Mike and his two sons are really nice people and have been track buddies of mine and have consoled me a few times humorously after a colorful off track excursion here or there. I'm sure they'll find a way to get her running ASAP.

Gene- more triangles!!!!!!!!!!!! I honestly think getting the decals on my car made it at least 1 second faster around the track...
Old 09-22-2008, 10:37 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Gene's car was teh ****. It looked great.

CJ, you need me out there at Infineon with you!
Old 09-22-2008, 11:12 AM
George A
Three Wheelin'

It was great meeting all of you guys. I had a blast.... Nice to get back out on track again.

G.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:24 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by George A
It was great meeting all of you guys. I had a blast.... Nice to get back out on track again.

G.
It was great to finally run with you again, even though you couldn't keep up with me.

Our little ooompa-loompa clearly didn't like us behind him--world record speed for a point by. And then he asked to become an instructor. LMAO!
Old 09-22-2008, 11:27 AM
KurtC
Instructor

Great weekend! I was battling dodgy stock brake pads all weekend but it was still a lot of fun. I hope I didn't hold anyone up for too long out there. Here's the video from my last session on Sunday. Feel free to offer any advice! http://www.vimeo.com/1784701

Quick Reply: Maverick PCA at MSR (3.1) Sept 20-21