Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 11:35 PM
joseph mitro
Race Car

Received 246 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by SG_M3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eIWPpLV0Dc

From my view, start around 2:30
damn, those porsches have a problem with that turn that 944 spinning at the start was a code brown moment.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:54 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,561 Likes on 821 Posts

Originally Posted by joseph mitro
damn, those porsches have a problem with that turn that 944 spinning at the start was a code brown moment.
LOL! Cold tires & trying too hard for an advantage in a place where there is none to be had.

IMO, it's better to relax a bit there, and ensure stability and control where there is really no advantage to be gained, in order to better set up for the approach to the next corner, where an advantage can DEFINITELY be gained with the proper set up. It's doubtful anyone will attempt a pass in T5 for the reasons visible on the video. Heck, any pass there of relatively evenly matched cars will likely fail & not end well. But in T6? You betcherass! And if you can seize control in T6, you pretty much own the track until the hairpin (T8) unless you **** up at the bottom of the hill (T7).
Old 10-01-2008, 06:58 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,062 Likes on 581 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
LOL! Cold tires & trying too hard for an advantage in a place where there is none to be had.

IMO, it's better to relax a bit there, and ensure stability and control where there is really no advantage to be gained, in order to better set up for the approach to the next corner, where an advantage can DEFINITELY be gained with the proper set up. It's doubtful anyone will attempt a pass in T5 for the reasons visible on the video. Heck, any pass there of relatively evenly matched cars will likely fail & not end well. But in T6? You betcherass! And if you can seize control in T6, you pretty much own the track until the hairpin (T8) unless you **** up at the bottom of the hill (T7).
so if T5 is a compromise corner, why did you give me **** for suggesting to displace the apex? after all, if you're slightly wide on the exit you can dive bomb or close the door going into T6 and have position!
Old 10-01-2008, 07:56 AM
George A
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
so if T5 is a compromise corner, why did you give me **** for suggesting to displace the apex? after all, if you're slightly wide on the exit you can dive bomb or close the door going into T6 and have position!
Because Dave on occasion gets it really wrong....

Cold tires? Now that's funny. Based on his assessment, John and I spun there because we were trying to take it too fast... That or trying to pass someone (anyone)...

Dave, how many races have you had on the 3.1?

G.
Old 10-01-2008, 09:51 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
Because if you displace it, too many things can (and often will) go wrong, as evidenced by all the skid marks out there, and you are extremely unlikely to get proerly set up for T6. It's the guy who does not displace T5 who will own T6. Pretty simple, actually, and no George, I did not get it wrong: You and I are in agreement here regarding this corner.

I have raced the 3.1 once, in an enduro. Why do you ask?

PS: no, you spun there because you were off the apex by a mile.
Old 10-01-2008, 10:44 AM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Instead of a displaced apex, why not just take it as a late apex? That way you are almost aimed directly at T6 after hitting it, and you can take it as tight as possible since any disruption from the bumps are more up and down, and less lateral? It just requires a more deliberate placement to the left hand side of the track before turn-in. You're off-camber for longer, but 100% throttle right through the bumps.
Old 10-01-2008, 10:46 AM
George A
Three Wheelin'

Dave, write this down in your little blue notebook:

1.) This was not first lap of the race... No way the tires were cold.
2.) John lost it because of two reasons, he was having issues with the back end of the car (he almost didn't run the enduro) and he (like me) got on a dusty patch of track.
3.) I never even got pointed toward the apex...
4.) You cannot pass from T2 through T10 unless the car being passed lets you go by.

Now, don't write this in your little blue notebook:

1.) Yes, we are in agreement on that corner, there is nothing to gain. My suggestion is to do whatever you are comfortable, it doesn't matter because you won't get passed unless you lose it.

Now I need my coffee. You may or may not write that in your little blue notebook, your choice...

G.
Old 10-01-2008, 10:55 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Geezus, George, wash the sand out of your vagina. I was BEING SARCASTIC.

Good grief.

Also, you're wrong about your point #4.

Russell, you're right.
Old 10-01-2008, 11:02 AM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I wanna hear more about this little blue notebook.
Old 10-01-2008, 11:05 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

It's red.
Old 10-01-2008, 11:14 AM
George A
Three Wheelin'

It's blue....

So Dave, where can you pass from T2 to T10 without help? I can hold off a cup car through that section.

G.
Old 10-01-2008, 11:15 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

It's red, just like your tampon right now.

As I previously indicated, in T6. I've done it. Sorry you haven't!
Old 10-01-2008, 11:19 AM
George A
Three Wheelin'

It's blue, with little tiny spirals.

They let you go by at T6. No way that was an earned pass for position. If it was, then that was one crappy driver.

G.
Old 10-01-2008, 11:22 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

It's red, George. Stop being argumentative & menstrual. I have a large black spiral notebook with car set up notes & other stuff, but my in car notebook with students is red.

And I'm glad you were in the car with me. Sorry, bro, but you're dead wrong. It may have been a crappy driver in that corner (and they were) but they most assuredly did NOT let me by. It was hard-earned and required strongly pressuring him in T5 so he'd push wide, and I was better positioned to pass in T6.

Get over it!
Old 10-01-2008, 11:27 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,224 Likes on 599 Posts

testy group this morning

Quick Reply: Maverick PCA at MSR (3.1) Sept 20-21