Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Diasio 962R... Anybody Know Anything About These Cars ??

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 01:51 PM
George3
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Diasio 962R... Anybody Know Anything About These Cars ??

I recently had an opportunity to get a ride in a Diasio 962R with the Mazda renesis rotary engine. The car weighs in at around #1400 lbs, and has about 250 horsepower. The car performs very well, I just don't know a lot about them.

I'd like to get some more information on this car... the good and the bad. Not saying I'm gonna buy one, let's just say it's got my attention.

Thanks
Old 09-13-2008, 01:59 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Hey George

I know a little something about them. There was one at the NASA Glen race last year and we shared a garage. Very nice guy who owns it and races it with NASA. They are very cool cars but, of course there are some issues. Mostly support related. They're basically kit cars and you're pretty much on your own when you buy one. They do FLY though.
Old 09-13-2008, 02:03 PM
George3
Rennlist Member

Sean,
I think that might be the same guy that gave me a ride in his
last week. Nice guy, he's also a rep for the company.
Old 09-13-2008, 02:05 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Nope...not a rep (I don't think). His name is Robert (Bob). Same guy?
Old 09-13-2008, 02:56 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have been around the pre R version for many years. What use do you want it for (strictly trackday or mix of racing) and what else are you considering. Bottom line, it is a decent trackday car (though there are other choices I prefer) and a lousy race car. Tell my about the use and I can offer some real comments and comparisons.
Old 09-13-2008, 03:02 PM
George3
Rennlist Member

Sean, yes it was Bob.

Mark, Basically an extreme DE car. No racing in my near or mid-term future.
Old 09-13-2008, 03:08 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

gotcha...
Old 09-13-2008, 05:26 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by George3
Sean, yes it was Bob.

Mark, Basically an extreme DE car. No racing in my near or mid-term future.
The Diasio is a pretty good DE car. Now this is based on pre R but I think they are pretty much the same cars. They are low tech and with the rotary should be low maintenance. With any stiffly sprung car like that, you need to check nuts and bolts multiple times per weekend.

The car will be fast vs. most DE cars and sitting low to the ground with real suspension, it will have a more exciting feel. People who owned the earlier cars found them VERY cramped with 2 people in them and even cramped for taller drivers, so you will want to check that out.

For me, I found the Radical SR3 to be a much more exciting car with more of a real race car feel. That has more downforce, though not in the range of a serious sports racer. With the stock 1300 motor, it is also low maintenance. I have no idea where the prices are today.

With either of those, you are very much on your own for parts and maintenance. You need to carry you own spares to the track. You would not need trackside support for either in a DE environment. Things like brake pads and tires will last a very long time at the relatively light weight. Also realize you are hard to see and outweighed by the other cars 2 or 3 to 1 so certain cautions are needed, but like a motorcycle, you are far more nimble and can stay away from trouble with that characteristic.
Old 09-13-2008, 05:37 PM
George3
Rennlist Member

Mark,
The earlier version Diasio 962 had the 1000cc Yamaha engine at 150 hp. The newer version 962R has the 250hp Mazda rotary engine. I've been in a ride in one and it was quite exciting.

They are cramped, but I'm a little guy anyway.
Old 09-13-2008, 05:52 PM
aeshultz
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

George;
FWIW -I think they are built by the guy who owns and runs the Putnam Park road course west of Indy. Real good guy, runs a great little track.
FWIW.
Old 09-13-2008, 06:21 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SundayDriver
The Diasio is a pretty good DE car. Now this is based on pre R but I think they are pretty much the same cars. They are low tech and with the rotary should be low maintenance. With any stiffly sprung car like that, you need to check nuts and bolts multiple times per weekend.

The car will be fast vs. most DE cars and sitting low to the ground with real suspension, it will have a more exciting feel. People who owned the earlier cars found them VERY cramped with 2 people in them and even cramped for taller drivers, so you will want to check that out.

For me, I found the Radical SR3 to be a much more exciting car with more of a real race car feel. That has more downforce, though not in the range of a serious sports racer. With the stock 1300 motor, it is also low maintenance. I have no idea where the prices are today.

With either of those, you are very much on your own for parts and maintenance. You need to carry you own spares to the track. You would not need trackside support for either in a DE environment. Things like brake pads and tires will last a very long time at the relatively light weight. Also realize you are hard to see and outweighed by the other cars 2 or 3 to 1 so certain cautions are needed, but like a motorcycle, you are far more nimble and can stay away from trouble with that characteristic.
I agree with all that Mark has said. I've never driven one though. I've been on track with a few of them.

The downside to them is if they aren't the fastest car out there there are a few issues. The ones that I have been on track with didn't have any way to really signal a pass. That may have been a unique situation to them. I'm not well versed on them.

On track it was real fast in a straight line but under braking and in the corners my FC car seemed much quicker. It was still very fast through the turns and braking, but like Mark says it's not a racecar so don't expect it to be as fast as the Sports Racers and open wheel cars, mainly through the turns.

All that being said. They are pretty cool looking cars and look like an absolute blast to drive.
Old 09-13-2008, 06:24 PM
George3
Rennlist Member

How do you mean they can't signal a pass?
Do you think it's the arm harness?
Old 09-13-2008, 06:31 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I think it's the enclosed cockpit and no windows from I've seen.

Originally Posted by George3
How do you mean they can't signal a pass?
Do you think it's the arm harness?
Old 09-13-2008, 06:33 PM
George3
Rennlist Member

The one I was in had the plexi window sheilds removed. I know it's tight and may be awkward to do a point by. Just have a turbo version and there will be no need to do that (ha-ha) !!!
Old 09-13-2008, 07:08 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by A930Rocket
I think it's the enclosed cockpit and no windows from I've seen.
That's what I meant. I should have expanded on it. No view to the cockpit from the rear and a fully enclosed cockpit.

Quick Reply: Diasio 962R... Anybody Know Anything About These Cars ??